It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2005, 12:33 PM   #1

Tina71975 HB User
To those who have had Pneumonia

I went last weekend to Urgent Care because I had a cough for about 1 1/2 weeks and then I developed a fever last Sunday so I packed up and headed there to see what was wrong. They diagnosed me with an Upper Resp. Infection. He gave me antibiotics and a cough syrup with Codeine in it for night time. He also told me to take Mucinex-DM during the day. Well by Thursday I was no better so I went to my family physician and she said I had Pneumonia. It is in the lower part of my right lung. She gave me a breathing treatment in the office because I was wheezing and she said it was better after that. She checked my oxygen levels and said they looked good my pulse was just a little high. She changed my antibiotic and kept me on the same cough syrup and Mucinex-DM deal along with an inhaler.

Ok so fast forward to today which is Sunday so 4 days later from original diagnosis and I wanted to know how long this takes to go away and if I need to go back to the doctor tomorrow and be checked again?

I am still coughing soooooo bad and still coughing up green stuff. I go thru these horrible, horrible coughing spells and I puff on my inhaler but it says on the container you can only use it every 4 hrs so if I get in another coughing spell I can't use it. I am weak and achy at times and very, very exhausted. I thought that since I was on an antibiotic that the green would start going away in my mucas because I thought it would be killing and taking care of that bacteria......am I wrong about that??? Could it be more of a virus instead of bacterial??? I took my temp yesterday and it was 99.8 by mouth and my husband said that wasn't really a fever....is it?? She said if I had a fever on Saturday to call because she would probably admit me. I haven't taken it yet today I have just been laying around.

So what do you all think? Are these just problems that I am going to have to deal with for awhile or should I go back and see her? I am new to this.....I have never had Pneumonia my entire life!!!!!

Thanks in advance!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2005, 02:06 PM   #2
(male)

justme100 HB User
Re: To those who have had Pneumonia

Coughing up green stuff means you still have an infection.

I get bronchitis fairly often, and I have had pneumonia in both of my lungs several times. I've recently gotten over asthmatic bronchitis, and while the doctor said that the asthmatic aspect would go away with the bronchitis, I think I has a little asthma going on during my pneumonia.

I would call the doctor and go in.

I probably have chronic bronchitis now, and I am not a smoker. It happened years ago, when I got a sore throat, and instead of going into my sinuses, it went deep, deep into my chest. I tried to tough it out, but after three weeks, I went to a doctor, and he said I had a "severe bronchitis". I finally got over that, but ever since then, my colds all turn into bronchitis, and, on four occasions, the bronchitis has turned into double pneumonia. Go to the doctor and do what she says, so your pneumonia stays in one lung. Double pneumonia hurst your chest something awful; it hurts to breathe, the congestion is uncomfortable, but it also hurts to cough; I think some of the lingering of my bronchitis episodes is that my trachea and bronchial tubes are inflammed from the coughing itself.

Take care. See the doctor if you need to.

Old 02-09-2005, 04:00 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

valleygurl HB User
Re: To those who have had Pneumonia

So how are you feeling today? Did you go back to the doctor? You should have started feeling better approx 48 hours after starting the antibiotic. Maybe you need a different antibiotic. If you are still really congested and having alot of coughing spells maybe instead of the inhaler you have maybe you should have a nebulizer and do breathing treatments every 2 to 4 hours. Did the doc prescribe you a steroid such as Prednisone? I would have thought that they would have, it would have helped to clear your lungs up alot quicker. As far as a fever, anything over 100.0 would be considered a fever. Hope you feel better soon. ValleyGurl

Closed Thread