It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2005, 10:51 AM   #1
(female)

DB18 HB User
Question Lingering Bronchitis?

Well after three weeks of this stuff, I am annoyed as I feel fine other than a sporadic cough with clear phlegm and a raspy sound when breathing (primarily on exhaling).

Do other people have similar symptoms to what I have above? Have other people had symptoms this long and are now over it? Just trying to get some peace of mind that the cough and raspy breathing might be over soon.

Old 03-16-2005, 03:39 PM   #2
(male)

justme100 HB User
Re: Lingering Bronchitis?

Is this your first time with bronchitis? If so, it's a shock to find out how long it can last.

I just got a touch of it again; I had a bad case of asthmatic bronchitis earlier this year, and I get bronchitis repeatedly. It can last for a while. Go to the doctor if you haven't.

One reason the cough (especially that barking cough) and wheeze can last is that the inflammation of the bronchial tubes can last after the infection is gone. The repeated coughing can irritate the bronchial passages, which keeps the body producing mucus (clear mucus if you don't have an infection).

You may have asthmatic bronchitis, or a little asthma as well as bronchitis, if you're coughing for so long. Ask your doctor, specifically "Do I have asthma?" 'Do I have bronchitis?" Doctor's are less likely to give what you have a specific name unless you ask them, and if they aren't sure, they may call it something vague, "upper respiritory infection" and such. I know that when I go to the doctor I want to find out exactly what I have.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2005, 04:19 PM   #3
(female)

DB18 HB User

This is the first time I have had bronchitis. I went to the doctor and put me on antibiotics a couple of weeks ago which stopped the colored phlegm.

I now only have clear phlegm, cough and a little bit of rattling/wheezing/raspy breath sounds.

Anyone else have any insight into this?

Old 03-16-2005, 07:25 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Van_27 HB User

I don't know if it's insight, but I'm going through the exact same thing. My lungs are clear (according to doctors), but I sure don't feel like it. I keep getting told to be patient and that it will pass with some more time. I'm generally an impatient person, and going into the 4th week is very frustrating.

Old 03-17-2005, 05:33 AM   #5
(female)

DB18 HB User

I am with you...as I tell people who say you don't sound good, I feel fine other than the annoying cough and the need to blow my nose. Next year, I get the flu shot just to prevent this again plus I think I will wear gloves around my toddlers the whole winter

Old 03-17-2005, 08:20 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

I had either bronchitis or a very bad cold/cough early in February. I got on medication pretty fast and it went away. Then the beginning of March I got a little scratchy throat, but nothing major. However in the past that has sometimes turned into a cold, so I aggressively took the vitamin C and that went away, but left me with phlegm in my chest and throat that I have to spit up several times during the day. It is very productive and my breathing is still good. It just seems like its really lingering. But at this time of year - spring - my allergies always act up, so that's probably my problem for now. So to sum it up, if you have asthma/allergies, it can sometimes be tricky to identify if its that or an actual cold/virus.

Closed Thread