It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2005, 03:26 PM   #1
(female)

GypsyInk HB User
Question Bronchitis to Pneumonia

Hi,

My name is Adriana and I'm a college student on Long Island. Recently a few of us came down with the flu here in the dorm. I, thinking I could battle it, didn't take anything and went on my merry way. However, after the cough got bad enough I'd have two minute coughing sprees and my general state of feeling horrible got worse and having a low grade fever continued, several of my friends became motivated to very literally forced me to go get it checked out. That little form of what I thought was the flu apparently was a full fledged manifiestion of a bad case of bronchitis, or so the clinic doctor told me.

Being a college student I have extremely poor medical coverage (which to our joy keeps lapsing). At the doctors office several friends and myself had to cough up, no pun intended, $135 dollars straight up for my doctor visit and two lab tests. As of now I have no way of getting the antibiotics perscribed for me. I'm financially down for the count as it is going to school.

In the real scheme of things I'm less worried about combating bronchitis as I was told most of the time it's viral and antibiotics can't do much, if anything for it. I'm initally worried that, however, if I do get worse (and I'm pretty bad as it is now) this might manifiest into pneumonia, or so several of my pre-med friends seem to keep hinting at if I attempt to keep fight this on my own.

My questions are -- does anyone know how often that actually happens? Does it happen only in bronchitis brought on by bacteria or does bronchitis brought on virally also capable of developing pneumonia? If I can't get my hands on the antibiotics at all within the next month or so do I run that risk or is it plausible that I might clear up on my own?

I understand that not taking a perscribed medicine is unwise, but I'm hoping to get out of this one without wiggling into a further niche of debt... I've all ready sold my soul for education, I'd prefer not to do it with health care too.

If you've got any advice or knowledge in this instance let me know. Thanks

~Adriana

Last edited by GypsyInk; 03-19-2005 at 03:30 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2005, 10:45 PM   #2
(male)

justme100 HB User
Re: Bronchitis to Pneumonia

You can get viral pneumonia from bronchitis. Twice, I have had bronchitis that I did not treat soon enough, and it went into pneumonia in both of my lungs.

In each case, (A) I did not go to the doctor, and (B) I was under great stress.

If this is your first case of bronchitis, you need to go to the doctor. If your bronchitis lasts long enough, you will set yourself up for chronic bronchitis, where your bronchial tubes will have some degree of constant inflammation, and where most or all of your colds will settle deep into your chest, in your bronchial tubes. You will have what you have now to look forward to at least once a year.

Take your medicine; worry about the debt later. I have gotten the sickest when I have worried about the money and not seen the doctor or taken the meds.

Double pneumonia, needless to say, is worse than bronchitis. There is MORE cough, and the cough hurts much more because of the pleurisy associated with pneumonia. Just breathing hurts bad. You DON'T want pneumonia. Plus, pneumonia will increase your susceptability to future bronchtis and pneumonia.

Old 03-20-2005, 11:40 PM   #3
(female)

AmyLew HB User
Re: Bronchitis to Pneumonia

I went to the doctor on the 9th with breathing problems and wheezing, but the doctor said my lungs were clear and sent me home. A week later, the wheezing got worse and I had to go to the Immedia Care Center. The doctor said the infection had gone into my lungs and that not only did I have Restrictive Airway Disease, but I now had pneumonia. He gave me some amoxycillian for the pneumonia (since I'm pregnant) and a nebulizer for the RAD. I also had to get a steroid shot in the hip. Mine started out as just a cough too, that started getting worse so if I were you, I would get the medicine now and see if you qualify for Medicaid. I think that they go back 30 days, which would pay for the doctor visit. There is also a low income program at our hospital that helps pay for a percentage of your costs, depending on your income. Hope this helps and that you start feeling better soon.

Closed Thread