It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2005, 08:37 AM   #1

Ronk0747 HB User
Chest flutter, shortness of breath and fatigue

Hello all,

Starting about a month ago, I began to feel a strange fluttering or pulsating feeling in my chest when I inhale--sort of a shortness of breath feeling. I also felt extremely tired. The feeling went away after a few days so I dismised it as a virus going around. Then a week or so later, the feeling came back for a few days, then went away again. Then the feeling came back for a third time and has been with me consistently for the past two and a half weeks. I went to the doctor who did all kinds of heart tests--EKG, stress test, Holter monitor and found no problems. All the blood tests turned out negative as well. They did see two small dots on the lung which they think are blood vessels pointing in the direction of the image but they ordered a CT scan to make sure there isn't a cyst or something like that.

The strange thing is that there is no phlegm or blood being coughed up. Very recently, I have developed a mild dry cough and an actual slightly painful tightness in the right side of my chest. I am not a smoker, nor have I ever been a smoker. Another strange thing is that when I muster the energy to physically exert myself, the feeling goes away. Then when I am relaxed again, the feeling comes back.

This all has me quite concerned. Does anybody have an idea what any of this might be?

Thank you all in advance for your help.

Ron

Old 04-05-2005, 08:17 PM   #2
(male)

woody1 HB User
Wink Re: Chest flutter, shortness of breath and fatigue

undefinedundefinedI know of similar symptoms, one year ago,in an active 90 year old woman - except replace fatigue with severe weakness. She was popping her nitroquicks which I thought was not good as she had no pain. After two $8000.00 hospital visits in two weeks it was determined her diastolic blood pressure was too low. That caused fluid buildup in the lungs - thus low oxygen to the blood and all other problems. Her HBP medicine was lowered and her daily water pill was increase 50 percent. So far so good !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2005, 10:36 PM   #3
(female)

Kindheart HB User
Re: Chest flutter, shortness of breath and fatigue

Hello Ron,

I felt I had to respond because approximately 18 years ago, I went to the doctor for the same reason, I would be laying down, relaxing, and I could feel a flutter like feeling in the center of my chest, right around the heart area, and it too felt like a slight shortness of breath. It felt to me like it might be heart problems so my doctor ran heart tests that all came back negative. Then he ordered an x-ray, and I can't remember what else, but that's when he discovered a very small spot on my lung that was the beginning of Emphysema. I don't mean to scare you, but maybe it would be a good idea to have an x-ray and/or CT scan of your lungs? I hope it turns out to be nothing of concern though. Good luck to you

Old 04-05-2005, 10:39 PM   #4
(female)

Kindheart HB User

I'm sorry Ron, I went over your post again and I see where you have already had an x-ray with pending CT scan....please keep us posted and let us know what you find out.

Old 04-06-2005, 09:11 PM   #5
(female)

kini23 HB User

Kind Heart: how old were when you found out you had emphysema? i am having similar symptoms to the ones you had 18 years ago. I am only 29 though. What are the chances of someone my age getting emphysema?

Old 04-07-2005, 01:06 PM   #6
(female)

Kindheart HB User

hi Kini,

I was approximately 34 years old when the Emphysema was diagnosed, at first my doc thought the fluttering was due to Mitral Valve Prolapse (not sure if I said that right). The only other time I remember having that "flutter-like" feeling BEFORE the age of 34 was one time only, during childbirth/labor with my last child. I was 27 at the time, and every time a labor pain would come on, I'd get that flutter feeling, and felt short of breath. It really concerned me then but never brought it to the docs attention because it went away after that, so don't know really what caused it then, but always wondered if it was symptoms of Emphysema before it showed up on x-ray etc. I'm sorry, I can't tell you what the chances are of someone your age getting E, but I sure think it would be a good idea to get that x-ray, and if the fluttering continues, insist on a CT scan because it may show what's going on better than the x-ray. I've had several lung docs who suspected that I had that "early" age Emphysema, I think it's called anti-tripson 1 or something like that, but they did several blood tests for it and it always came up neg. But there IS a history of lung problems in my family...grandmother, aunt, sister and cousin all have/had E, so my current pulm doc does think that since so many in my fam has it that there is some type genetic link.

I hope I have answered your questions...I don't want to alarm you though, because as young as you are, I would think the chances of you having E are slim...I wish you the best, let me know what you find out ok? By the way, I am 51 years now, and although I do take a couple of inhalers, I've never been on oxygen, and I still do housework, and shop and carry grocerys, although I do have to pace myself so as not to get too winded.
Kindheart

Old 04-15-2005, 07:37 PM   #7
(female)

lpntx HB User

Are you african american or of Irish/european decent? I am asking this cause those symptoms sound pretty much like pulmonary sarcoidosis.(mystery disease) The sx come and go and u usually have pain at rest.The doctor can check for this by checking your ace levels.Just ask. Fatigue,sob,chest discomfort are symptoms.

Old 04-15-2005, 07:44 PM   #8
(female)

lpntx HB User

Hey Ron...have your doctor check your ace levels.Those symptoms sound very familiar to the ones I have experienced. Irecently became very sick about 2 months ago..thought it was pnemonia. My doc did too ..till my chest xrays revealed some swelling on my chest and dots as you called them. They did a ct and found out it was swelling. I was refered to a pumonologist and he did some test which included an ACE level. My diagnosis was pulmonary sarcoidosis. I had it for years and didn't know it cause the disease imitates asthma, flu,bronchitis...mystery disease. It's gonna be a long road but I started treatment. Just get those levels checked...it won't hurt.

Old 04-26-2005, 05:18 AM   #9

Ronk0747 HB User

Hello all,

Thank you all for your replies. Here are the items that have cropped up since I last posted.

I had a follow up Holter test and guess what, I have SVT. I guess that item is a topic for a different message board here so I won't elaborate on that.

They also did a CT scan of my chest and found a bullae (air pocket) in my lung. They say this is very unusual for someone like me who is a non-smoker and only 41. So I am going to see a pulmonologist next Monday to look into this further. I'll keep you all posted.

Ron

Closed Thread