It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2005, 10:32 PM   #1

JamieSuzanne HB User
Unhappy Coughing up blood, chest pains....HELP!

My boyfriend just told me last night that he's been coughing up blood and having chest pains. He is a smoker. He's 26 and I'm not sure how long he's been smoking but I would assume it's been maybe 10 years. He works at a landscaping company where he mows grass all day long. As far as I know he doesn't wear a mask, so he's probably inhaling all kinds of crap. Over the winter I know he did drywalling and said he was coughing up drywall dust then. He also said he's gets fatigued, although I don't know how often this is happening, and I dont know how often the chest pains are. He says the coughing up blood usually happens in the morning. Is this something caused from smoking or do you think it's just from his line of work and lack of proper care (mask). He wants to quit smoking, and I'm going to do whatever I can to help him, but he's got me so worried after telling me this stuff. He has no insurance, so I looked up some free clinics, but until then (thats assuming he won't be too stubborn to do something about it) I'd appreciate anything anyone can tell me. Thank you! Jamie

Old 05-18-2005, 11:55 AM   #2
(male)

mango2 HB User
Re: Coughing up blood, chest pains....HELP!

good luck but he needs to help himself

Last edited by mango2; 05-18-2005 at 05:04 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2005, 06:40 PM   #3

JamieSuzanne HB User

Your previous comment wasn't so nice. I came here for help and you were pretty rude with your response. I don't feel that trying to help him is a waste of time. But thanks for changing what you wrote, that made me feel a LITTLE better.

Jamie.

Old 05-18-2005, 08:39 PM   #4
(male)

mango2 HB User

Coughing up blood is not good, but there are some non-serious reasons why it may happen too.The blood could just be a result of a chronic cough, or something more serious like pneumonia. He definitely needs to find access to health care. I'm sure a doctor would want a chest x-ray, and depending on the description of the blood, he would probably want to check for blood in the stool.
I guess the problem is getting him to realize that if he doesn't take care of himself, no one will. There will always be lawn care jobs out there. Maybe if he took a lower paying job that came with health benefits, like an entry level job with a larger company, and then waited until his health care kicked in, he could get all the diagnostic procedures paid for. In the meantime, he could get some antibiotics.
Get him some some pamphlets from the American Lung Association. Make him understand how serious and prevalent lung disease is.

Old 05-20-2005, 08:33 AM   #5
(male)

mango2 HB User

C'mon Jamie, I feel bad. Please tell me if you got him an appointment with a doctor and an x-ray.

Old 05-21-2005, 08:12 PM   #6
(male)

justme100 HB User

Coughing up blood!!!!!!

This could be TB or cancer, at its worst. And only a doctor can tell you.

Coughing up blood is a 911 call; it means the lungs are damaged. I have had repeated episodes of bronchitis and double pneumonia, and I have NEVER coughed up blood.

Getting fatigued!!!!!

This is another 911 call! Coughing up blood, coupled with getting fatigued, could mean that your boyfriend has active tuberculosis. Which is highly contagious, which means that YOU could be infected!!!!!

And, once more, only a doctor can tell you.

At the very least, your local health department can test both of you for TB, and provide medication. If you are infected, but don't have active TB, you still need to take medication so you don't get sick.

The both of you need to NOT DELAY and get medical attention NOW!!! Please don't say you can't afford to. He's coughing up blood and has fatigue (which makes me wonder if he has night sweats as well). Neither of you can afford NOT to see a doctor, even if it's your local health department or the ER (which can't refuse a man coughing up blood, by the way).

Last edited by justme100; 05-21-2005 at 08:18 PM.

Old 05-22-2005, 07:10 PM   #7

JamieSuzanne HB User
Unhappy Re: Coughing up blood, chest pains....HELP!

All day yesterday and today Jim was pretty much doing nothing but sleeping....I know that's a bad thing! I've been trying to call him all day today....I'm going to call first thing in the morning to get him an appointment somewhere and I'm going to MAKE him leave work early to go. I mean, I've had days where I'm tired but sleeping ALL day long is not good! I'll let you know what happens!

jamie

Old 05-22-2005, 07:22 PM   #8
(male)

mango2 HB User

Thanks, Jamie, and good luck.

It sure does sound like some sort of infection. Some of my bouts with pnuemonia caused me to cough-up a lot of blood, some didn't, but I was always tired.

If you can't get an appointment, go to the emergency room.

Old 05-23-2005, 05:10 AM   #9

celtic_mom HB User

I coughed up blood when I had a repeat infection. It wasn't a lot, but it was from coughing so hard I broke blood vessels. He definitely must go see a doctor though. He probably has bronchitis or pneumonia. If he doesn't get help, it probably will turn into the latter if it isn't already.

He also really needs to quit smoking. I'm an ex-smoker, so I know it is tough, but the sooner he does it, the sooner his lungs have a chance to heal. If he doesn't want to listen, take him to the respiratory care ward of your local hospital. That's where they put me when I had an asthma attack, and let me tell you, it is grim. Everyone hooked up to oxygen. Coughing all night. Gasping for air. I just kept thinking how glad I was I quit smoking and how I wish to God I had never picked the first one up. The problem with your friend, is he is still suffering from the immortality of youth. Hopefully, he this infection will be a wake up call.

BTW - maybe he doesn't understand that pneumonia CAN kill you if left untreated. Please keep us posted and good luck!

Old 05-25-2005, 07:43 PM   #10

JamieSuzanne HB User

He's making me so mad....he won't take time off work to let me get him a doctors appointment. He's acting like he doesn't care what happens. He told me it's been going on for about 10 months now, it's not a recent thing, but that it has been slowly getting worse, and right now he feels like crap all the time. See....his boss is a big fat jerk (thats putting it nicely) and he actually docks people's pay if they tick him off in any way, and if Jim were to call in to work, Bill would probably subtract hours from Jim's check just because it inconvenienced him. Horribly wrong, one of the reasons I quit working there, but Jim needs the money so he's unwilling to take the time off. I even offered to call in and pretend i was his mom and make up some story about how he passed out on my floor and I was making him go to the doctor and he wasn't going to work the next day, but he said no. I dont know what to do. He acts like he doesn't care and it's really make me upset because I don't want to lose him! He's so freaking stubborn sometimes it make makes me cry, because I want more than anything for him to be ok! I even told him I would figure out a way to pay for the doctor if he'd just go...but no luck so far. He keeps making excuses.

I'll keep you all posted. I just don't know what to do anymore, and it's really affecting me in a negative way...I can't sleep at night because all I do is worry and think about what could happen. I can't stop thinking about him EVER.

If any of you believe in God, a prayer for Jim to STOP BEING SO STUBBORN would be much appreciated. Sometimes I feel like that's all I have left.

Thanks,
Jamie

Old 05-25-2005, 09:11 PM   #11
(male)

justme100 HB User

Tell Jim to go to the ER at night, after work; they can get the ball rolling.

If he won't go, you need to go to the doctor, yourself. He MAY have TB, and YOU may be infected, even if you aren't sick.

Go, whether he goes or not. If you are a carrier of TB, I GUARANTEE he'll get to the doctor.

Closed Thread