It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2005, 12:29 PM   #1
(female)

suki1724 HB User
chest pain after pneumonia

I had mycoplasma pneumonia in March, and was treated with levaquin for 10 days. My cough has been better for about two weeks, I am having some pain in my breastbone when I take a deep breath and my whole chest and back just feel "sore" - I also am getting almost an "itchy" feeling in my lungs that comes and goes. I had a normal chest x-ray on the 13th of May and my Dr. ordered a CT scan of my lungs, but he said I could wait a few days to see if the soreness passes. I was also recently diagnosed with silent reflux and I wonder if that could be contributing to the pain? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-27-2005, 08:34 AM   #2

celtic_mom HB User
Re: chest pain after pneumonia

Could just still be sore from the whole experience. I know I was/am after bouts of infection. My lungs sometimes feel "itchy" when I take an expectorant like Mucinex. Don't know if that applies in your situation though. Hope you get answers soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2005, 11:46 AM   #3
(female)

suki1724 HB User

Thanks! I was on mucinex maybe a week and a half ago. I am having so much soreness - I think it's muscular. I'm newly on singulair, also, and I wonder if that's causing some of this weird pain.

Old 06-03-2005, 10:22 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

Hi, please keep us posted on how you are doing. I hope your pain gets better. It does with most people(that's what my doc kept telling me). It just takes time. Make sure you're not overdoing it too soon.

I had pneumonia almost two and a half years ago and still have pain. My pneumonia was up high under my collarbone and even though my chest xrays, ct, and mri are clear it still hurts. It sometimes feels itchy..almost like there's a dry loofah or small burrowing hedgehog in there!!!LOL If I don't take medication I cough and can hardly walk up the stairs in my house.

Like I said, I hope your pain goes away soon but if it doesn't, let me know so we can compare notes.
Hope you're feeling better.~Mush

Old 06-05-2005, 05:44 PM   #5
(female)

suki1724 HB User
Question Re: chest pain after pneumonia

Hi, after TWO YEARS you still have pain???? I'm really discouraged and it's only been a few months. My Doc told me to stop my singulair thinking I was having a weird reaction to it, but I'm still having this burning between my collarbones and pain when I take a deep breath. I felt better for two days, and now I'm worse again. I'm having a CT scan on Friday if I'm not feeling better by then. I've had so many chest x-rays recently - they've all been fine - can a CT really tell a lot more?? I'm thinking that this is probably NOT some weird lung cancer, because cancer pain doesn't come and go, right??? We've cancelled two vacations due to my illnesses in the last few months and I just want to feel better so I can get to the beach!!!!! Suki

Old 06-05-2005, 08:19 PM   #6
(male)

justme100 HB User

I have had pneumonia in both my lungs on several occasions, always from bronchitis that got out of hand.

My chest hurt long after the infection was gone. I think it was mainly due to the terrible irritation and inflammation of my bronchial tubes. I coughed so much that they stayed inflammed, even when I wasn't producing much mucus.

Seriously, when I had pneumonia, I woke up in the morning and coughed for almost an hour. And that HURT worse than anything. My lungs hurt, my bronchial tubes hurt, my throat hurt. So I'm not surprised that the pain lasted for some time after the infection left.

Old 06-06-2005, 05:00 AM   #7
(female)

suki1724 HB User

I haven't coughed for a few weeks and I'm still having chest pain, though.

Old 06-09-2005, 12:11 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

Please let us know how things are going and what your doc says.

I've taken anti inflammatories, steroids and antibiotics . I've had trigger point injections and other injections but nothing has helped. They think that I damaged a disk in my back(c-5 or 6?) and that it is causing my pain....or maybe it's my lung...they're not sure. So I'm always searching for other people who have experienced this. My pain management doc who is well published and head of his dept at a major university hospital says he's never ever heard of such a thing and he'll keep asking around when he lectures and stuff.

So for now I wait and hope that someone will figure this out. It's soooo old.
Thanks for listening and keep mu updated on what your doing. Like I said it does take time to get over pneumonia don't rush it. Good luck, Mush

Old 06-10-2005, 04:26 PM   #9
(female)

suki1724 HB User
Lightbulb Re: chest pain after pneumonia

I went back to my Dr. on Tues. and he said that it looks like I have costochondritis and a pinched nerve in my neck - so, HOPEFULLY, this will pass!!!!

Closed Thread