It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2005, 09:54 PM   #1
(male)

musicman2 HB User
breath sounds while only moving torso??!

hello everyone,

newbie here. i am a 22yr old male. This is my question:

While standing up straight and keeping my head straight forward, when I move just my torso back and forth I get a rather audible breath/lung sound, however I am not actually taking a breath. Is this just a normal sound due to my body moving in this way or should I seek some medical attention?

thanks,

mm

Old 05-31-2005, 01:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: breath sounds while only moving torso??!

Hi, it's normal...i've noticed it happens to me when I'm doing some exercises where I twist from side to side.

Breathing happens from the muscles and ribs expanding and contracting. It's the movement that brings in the air and exhales it. So, possibly when you lean back and forth, it would cause a compression therefore exhaling air and if you go back to the original position, the air will come back in. Not like a real breath that is enough to fill the lungs.

Actually, I thought it was kind of cool when I did that. I never thought there was anything wrong with it tho..just cool how the body works.

hope this helps put it in another perspective,
quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2005, 04:43 AM   #3
(male)

musicman2 HB User

quincy...thanks for the reply.

and also...when i said that i was moving my torso...i was in fact twisting from side to side...

Old 05-31-2005, 08:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

I noticed the very same thing!!! I thought something was wrong because I have never noticed that before.sounds strange when you twist from side to side....but guess it's normal............

Old 06-08-2005, 09:40 AM   #5
(male)

DonaldRamsey HB User

Hi there,
I also get this, but i'm 99% sure it's not normal.
I noticed it a few years ago but could never find any information about it.
It's exactly as you describe...if i face foward and turn my torso left to right i get a breathing sound that can also be described as a rubbing sound...
It's very hard to determine where its coming from? It feels like it's my lower throat but i can move my whole neck with no noise, it's as soon as i move my chest/sternum area that i get it
My problem of course could be different from yours but they sound very similar! Can I ask if any of you ever been injured in the chest/throat?
Thanks

Old 06-09-2005, 03:10 PM   #6
(male)

musicman2 HB User

never been injured in the chest/throat....

but i also asked my girlfriend about it...and she said she has felt the same thing....(she does yoga)...

i dunno....

Old 06-10-2005, 05:43 AM   #7
(male)

DonaldRamsey HB User

o.k,
i guess it must be normal then, seen as most people have it.
Perhaps because i never noticed it before , it made me think something was wrong.

Old 06-13-2005, 12:31 AM   #8
(male)

parabellum HB User

It is sound of air moving from right lung to left lung, completely normal.

Old 06-13-2005, 12:10 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi...air doesn't move from one lung to the other (unless I'm misunderstanding what you're meaning)...

q

Old 06-13-2005, 01:29 PM   #10
(male)

parabellum HB User

yes it does move left to right lung (and back), if you hold breath and twist your torso.

this is simple physical phenomena. your lung size change as you twist your upper body.

Old 06-13-2005, 05:26 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

find me the info please....,

your lung size would change because of compression, but it wouldn't move air from one side to the other I wouldn't think. It might move air into all of the areas that wouldn't be full of air yet (of the same lung, but I never thought of it going from one side to the other.

Still would love to read the info if you can find it.

Thanks
quincy

Old 06-15-2005, 09:09 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

I get this too and was wondering whether it was a new bad thing or just a normal thing. It doesn't cause any pain or seem to cause harm so I guess its fine. Would the sound be because something is rubbing eg the windpipe against a bone or something?

Old 06-15-2005, 10:06 AM   #13
(male)

parabellum HB User

It's just sound of air moving out of compressed lung through bronchus then making over the bifurcation to the bronchus on the other side and into the expanded lung.

if you doubt me, ask everyone around you ( parents, siblings, offsprings, friends etc) to
do the samething and ask them if they hear the same sound from their chest.
I'll bet they do.

Old 06-26-2005, 08:28 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

I have noticed the same thing....it's normal.........

Old 07-03-2005, 09:20 PM   #15

Gameofshame HB User

I have also noticed this while doing arm stretches (up, reaching to the sky).. It is like an "emphazimic sound" as I call it. I have always assumed that it was from smoking, and I will say, I don't think this is a "normal" sound that the body makes... it seems very unnatural, but I do not know this for sure. Has anyone actually gone to their general practitioner and gotten it checked out?

Closed Thread