It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2005, 07:30 PM   #1
(male)

TanItalian HB User
My lungs keep collapsing! Help!

In winter 2001, my left lung collapsed 60% spontaniously for no reason, and I then had a chest tube that didnt work. I had surgery done to fix my lung. Right after that happened, in Spring of 2001, my Right lung collapsed 50% and I then had surgery done to that lung just like my left one. When my lungs collapsed i was doing nothing more then just sitting at my house.

One tuesday, 7-26-05, my right lung did the same thing again.
Went to the hospital and found out it collapsed 15% (after I had surgery already done to both lungs). Before this happened, i was having trouble taking a deep breath (and still am, worried bout this too.)

Each day my lung will heal a little bit more, because im just home resting. Im 20 years old now, i DONT smoke, im 6' 2" tall and weigh about 215. Nobody knows why this keeps happening, but I've now lost all trust in my lungs and i feel, its gonna happen again. Doctors believe the blebs keep developing in my lungs, but nobody knows. Does anybody have Idea, any chance of my left one collapsing soon again? Im quite worried to do anyting anymore....

Last edited by TanItalian; 07-28-2005 at 07:32 PM.

Old 07-29-2005, 07:16 AM   #2

Blue102 HB User
Re: My lungs keep collapsing! Help!

I'm really sorry that that happened to you. I can't give you any advice because I haven't been there, but I feel that that is going to happen to me sometimes. I have a problem getting my breath at times, to the point where I get faint and can't do anything. The doctors kept telling me it was vocal cord dysfunction, but they didn't do any real tests. (I don't exercise at all, bad bad bad.) Anyway, that's no help to you so I'll shut up, but I hope your doctors take good care of you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2005, 08:36 AM   #3
(female)

Vallie HB User

have you been tested for the rare heredtary form of emphysema, since you are so young and have been through so much, I would think your doctor would test you and have you on a list for a lung transplant. It is so scary when your lung can just collapse when you are not even doing anything, same with my husband. I am assuming that the portion of your lung that had the surgery is still up and only the bottom lobe collapsed this time? Are they planning to wait it out to see if it repairs itself or are you going to get a chest tube? The small chest tube they put in my husband made it worse and the larger one is just not working. Also once you have a lung collapse your chances of having another increase and continue to increase with each additinal collapse.
Good nutrition is very important for healing and I am big believer in that, although my husband diet is not so good. If you have access to a vegetable juicer, the following items are good for the lungs and the nutrients get right to you. Four carrots, a hand full of parsley, a few spinach leaves, an apple and 1/4 of a potatoe, put all through a juicer and drink one or two of these everyday. The vegetables should be organic and don't worry it really does taste good.

Old 07-29-2005, 03:16 PM   #4
(male)

TanItalian HB User

my right lung is supposedly healing a little more every day, but i still have pain. Im have having a catscan on thursday of my chest, and the sergons will decide what to do next. i've also never been tested for emphysema.

Old 07-29-2005, 09:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi....exactly what surgery(s) did you have done?

I feel for you...I cannot imagine you having to go through this...

quincy

Old 07-29-2005, 10:05 PM   #6
(male)

TanItalian HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy
Hi....exactly what surgery(s) did you have done?
each surgery was done to both lungs to correct the collapse. They went in with "probes" and basicaly stapled up the hole on the top from the blebs. They also told me that they took out some other blebs they saw and roughed up the top of my lung (so it will stick good)... guess not

Last edited by TanItalian; 07-29-2005 at 10:07 PM.

Old 09-20-2005, 05:05 PM   #7
(male)

bas2285 HB User

Hey everyone,
I'm 20 years old, 6'2" around 175 lbs and I just had my first collapsed lung. The doctors said that it was spontaneous and they have no idea why it happened to me. I have always been an athlete, but everything I do, from shooting the basketball to throwing the football, is right-handed, and my left lung had a 90% collapse. The doctors told me that was really serious, so I was wondering how long it takes to recover to where I can run and work out again. I don't want to rush it, but I also would like to get back to being active. Can anyone help me?
Brian

Old 09-21-2005, 11:17 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi Brian....what did you have done to correct the collapse? How long ago did you have it? What symptoms are you having now?

quincy

Old 10-27-2005, 12:37 PM   #9
(male)

rnrbain HB User

My first was in the fall of 2000, wrestling around applying a bear hug. I delt with it for a week before going in and getting the narrow chest tube. I was released 16 hours later, 4 days of recovery time and went back to work.

On October 11th, No apparent reason I experienced a 5% partial collapse that grew to 25% one week later. Went in and had the narrow tube inserted, which later would prove to not be effective. Repeated attempts to make it work failed and 4 days later had a larger tube inserted which came with a larger amount of pain as well. This tube worked and was released 3 days later. I am home recovering for the next couple weeks.

In the 5 year span before my 2nd episode, I done whatever I wanted. Heavy lifting,push and pull with all my weight, moved furniture. I did however slowly work my way back to such activity over a period of a couple months.

I will be seeing a Thorasic Surgeon soon just in case this happens again with in the next year. I pray that it doesn't but I also feel you cant live every day worried if it will happen again.

Closed Thread