It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2005, 01:05 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User
Question for Wrin and anyone else who knows

I have had two CT scans (one a hi-resolution scan) and also a chest x-ray. The report on the chest x-ray says - 'The heart and mediastinal structures are within normal limits. Lung fields are clear. Emphysematous configuration to the chest'. Is that another way of simply saying hyper-inflated lungs? I do want to point out that I have asthma.

The CT scans say I am fine, nothing about 'emphysematous' anything. In reading the report, it just says 'There is no this' and 'there is no that', and at the bottom it says 'there are no signaficant abnormalities demonstrated within the lungs'.

I have read on here that a CT scan would tell for sure, that chest x-rays are not conclusive. I don't smoke so the words 'emphysematous configuration' has me confused. Am I right that a CT scan would have picked this up if indeed there was something there?

I also want to note that I had a Spirometry/Lung Volume/Diffusion test and everything came out perfectly fine and within normal limits. I feel wonderful and according to my doctor, am in perfect health for my age (53) so am confused about the chest X-rays and what it means, if anything.

Thanks so much for any help anyone can give.

Last edited by kellie2; 10-13-2005 at 01:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2005, 02:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User
Re: Question for Wrin and anyone else who knows

Kellie, may I ask why you had a lung CT? Just wondering since I have asthma also if that was standard procedure.
Cindy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2005, 06:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User

Probably not. My doctor wanted it because I was having problems breathing and he didn't know why, he assumed it was adult-onset asthma but wanted to make sure nothing else was going on.

Old 10-18-2005, 05:53 PM   #4
(female)

cb50 HB User

Doesn't anyone know this?

Old 10-20-2005, 05:45 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

ruthven78 HB User

Emphysematous is just the adjective form of emphysema to describe what types of conditions exist.....mostly meaning trapped air or maybe "barrel chested"

I dont believe it means you have emphysema

Last edited by ruthven78; 10-20-2005 at 05:46 PM.

Closed Thread