It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2005, 09:28 AM   #1
(female)

ladydy1 HB User
Moderate COPD

Hello - first of all I want to give a "bouquet" to a wonderful site! I have been here reading many times and find it very beneficial.

I am 48 years old and one year ago was told that I have "Medium COPD". At the time I had Bronchitis. I have smoked for 33 years and am now smoking almost a pack a day. My father was a very light smoker but also had COPD and my sister was a heavy smoker - 2 packs a day (has now quit for 7 years - bouquet to her too!!) If I quit smoking, will my COPD continue to get worse?

My biggest concern is that I want to sleep ALL THE TIME.....is this a result of the COPD? I have asked so many people and nobody seems to know. Another question...........I have started snoring and during my waking hours sometimes snort (hard to describe???). Are these also symptoms of COPD? If I quit smoking now will things get better? Are any or all of these symptoms from my COPD? Thanks for all your help!

Old 10-14-2005, 12:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User
Re: Moderate COPD

I'm not sure about the sleeping, but snoring and snorting are generally a symptom of upper nasal allergies and involves the soft palate of the mouth. It can get inflamed or bigger with weight gain and when you lay on your back to sleep it will vibrate causing the sound. So I don't think snoring or snorting involves any lung issues. I have allergies and asthma and when my allergies act up, I snore more from my nose being stuffy. About the smoking, I have heard that you can stop the progression of COPD when you quit smoking. My father had COPD but chose not to stop and he died at 48 years of age. Plus if you stop smoking you'll have a little better lung function, more energy, and just feel better. I would strongly suggest you stop as soon as possible!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2005, 12:21 PM   #3
(female)

ladydy1 HB User

Thanks for the quick response Howitt44! Thanks for the info - your father was a young man just like me. My biggest concern is the constant urge to sleep - do you think this is related to the COPD? Thanks again, Diane

Old 10-14-2005, 12:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

Are you physically tired body wise like you can't get up and move around? Or are you just sleepy and can't keep your eyes open. I relate that to taking a sleeping pill. I would think that any loss of lung function would make you fatigued and less able to do things. But I don't know if it would cause you to be sleepy. You might ask your doctor. It could be a medication you are on also.

Old 10-14-2005, 12:38 PM   #5
(female)

ladydy1 HB User

Thanks again for your reply Howitt44!

Yes, I do take sleeping pills when I am working nights, on occasion so maybe that is what is happening. Thanks for the update. I really appreciate it.

diane

Old 10-14-2005, 12:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

I know if I take a sleeping pill, I am drowsy the next day also. You might try not taking them if possible. There are some natural substitutes that can calm and relax you to sleep that would be healthier. Hope you feel better soon, Diane!
Cindy

Old 10-16-2005, 03:34 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

WhiteLight HB User

Yes, definitely stop smoking. It will help stop the progression of your COPD. But I would also see a respiratory doctor who specalises in COPD.

Old 10-20-2005, 04:39 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

ruthven78 HB User

For the sleeping issue try Calms Forte if its available. its available OTC at our local grocery store, they work really well and I havent noticed any drowsiness...they are also safe & natural from what the label says but what is really natural when its in a pill form?

You may want to see a pulmonologist and have a lung function test. If you arent getting enough oxygen it could cause you to be tired a lot because your body isnt getting the oxygen it needs.

And yes, stopping smoking will help to greatly slow the advancement of your COPD but it wont reverse or completely stop it some COPD (Im guessing emphysema?) can be caused by other things like air polution, chemicals, etc.

I've also been told routine exercise, even if just walking 15 minutes a day, can boost energy levels. Also things like caffiene can tax your system because after the affects of caffiene wears off your body is more tired than when you took/drank it. My nutrionist (im diebetic) told me to also make sure to eat a good breakfast as your bodies metabolism is high in the morning peaks around noon then tapers off from there.

Closed Thread