HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/lung-respiratory-disorders-copd/)
-   -   Lungs feel irritated for months (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/lung-respiratory-disorders-copd/338934-lungs-feel-irritated-months.html)

RickinLA 11-06-2005 05:40 PM

Lungs feel irritated for months

Last July I had what I assumed at the time was a "summer cold". I took a round of Z-pac since my cough was producing some green mucus. To my dismay, it did not help and my symptoms persisted. I was also feeling tired a lot, and my lungs began to really feel irritated and inflammed due to the constant need to clear my throat of the mucus that was forming. I was out of town at the time so when I returned home I went in to see my primary. He told me I was suffering from allergies and put me on a steroid nasal spray (nasacort) and zyrtec. He blamed my fatigue on the interruption of sleep by mucus and post nasal drip and said that it takes a while for these things to clear up. Well here we are in November, and I am still having the exact same symptoms: Cycle of mucus draining into my lungs and causing an annoying incessant need to clear my throat and the irritated feeling in my upper chest. It is beginning to make me think extremely dire thoughts about my health and I need to get this resolved quickly. Also, the doctor felt that any infection was secondary, so anitbiotics are not indicated. My question: Is it possible to have a condition like this last for such an extended period of time? As I said, my concerns are growing and taking a lot of what should be zest and zeal out of life. If you have any thoughts, please share. Thanks.

Howitt44 11-06-2005 09:07 PM

Re: Lungs feel irritated for months

I understand what you are going through. I went through a period in my life where I would get bronchitis about twice a year at least. I would have no fever but an annoying cough where I would cough up tons of mucus. I had always had allergies since I was young and just assumed that it brought my immune system under attack and I caught every cold going around. I finally went on allergy shots and did that for 4 years. After 4 years, I decided to get rechecked and found I had asthma. My small airways were pretty inflamed and obstructed. I now take Advair daily which has helped, but my lung function is still not completely normal. I worry about this daily. It has really affected my life in a lot of ways. I go through periods where I don't think about it at all and have no noticeable symptoms, but then the weather will change or I'll get a scratchy throat and then the worry comes back. The last time I had bronchitis I had to take a Medrol Pack (oral steroids) to get over the cough. But at least since taking the Advair, I don't get sick that much. I don't have a morning cough where I cough up phlegm. It's been almost a year since I had my last coughing spell. I really try to stay well and take lots of vitamina C and vitamins to keep my immune system up.

You might consider going to an allergist to see if allergies are causing this. They will give you some tests to see if you do have asthma. You will feel better and have peace of mind. Good luck!
Cindy

kd7cot 11-07-2005 11:05 AM

Re: Lungs feel irritated for months

Rick,
Cindy's suggestions are great, I'd add a suggestion that you go back to your Doctor and explain that your not getting the results that you need. Every one responds differently to treatment and maybe it will take something different in your case, then again maybe he needs to dig further and look for other things. It that Doc. sticks with a treatment that isn't working or your still not feeling goo about it, talk to another Doctor give them the history and treatment and tell them that it's not working and you'd like another opinion and some help. The Second doc always will naturally look closely at your situation and may get theings moving :)

Best of luck!

Jeff