It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2005, 05:00 PM   #1
(female)

jhamilton401 HB User
Couldn't breathe very scary Someone please help

I was in the shower today and bent over to shave my legs and all of a sudden I couldn't breathe.
My nose was pretty stuffy and I noticed it got worse when I got in the shower. I thought the steam from the shower actually might clear me up.
I just know that my pulse started racing and I couldn't get a good breath in.
It felt like a plastic bag was over my face and I couldn't get air.
I jumped out of the shower and started to go in the bedroom to wake up my husband or call 911 or something but after a few minutes I was fine and back to normal.
This is the first time anything like that has ever happened like that.
Can anyone give me advice on what caused this or has it ever happened to you?

Old 12-19-2005, 07:58 PM   #2
(male)

Limpalitle HB User
Exclamation Re: Couldn't breathe very scary Someone please help

Hi,
I know this is very scary when it happens especially the first time. If you have not been to see a Pulmanary Doctor you should go at once. A few tests will determine your condition and what meds you should be using. The tests are not painful so please don't be scared to go see the Doctor. This condition will not get better without treatment. It will develop until its an emergancy that forces you to the emergency room. As for the shower, I leave
the door ajar and the window cracked a little to let in fresh air and exhust the
humid air. The humid air is the killer it builds up in your lungs and causes the
feeling you described. Bottom line your shower should be as freely ventalited
as possible. Please go see a Doctor don't put it off like I did until it took months on an oxygen tank and a Lung Transplant to keep me alive.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2005, 11:06 AM   #3
(male)

kd7cot HB User
Re: Couldn't breathe very scary Someone please help

Limpalitle - what was your diagnosys?

Old 12-30-2005, 10:49 AM   #4
(male)

Limpalitle HB User

I was diagnosed With COPD and emphysema. I was put on Oxygen 24/7 and I had to quit work. Please go see a Doctor I hope you can avoid this result of not going.

Old 01-03-2006, 01:49 PM   #5
(female)

Mission Mama HB User
Cool Re: Couldn't breathe very scary Someone please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhamilton401
I was in the shower today and bent over to shave my legs and all of a sudden I couldn't breathe.
My nose was pretty stuffy and I noticed it got worse when I got in the shower. I thought the steam from the shower actually might clear me up.
I just know that my pulse started racing and I couldn't get a good breath in.
It felt like a plastic bag was over my face and I couldn't get air.
I jumped out of the shower and started to go in the bedroom to wake up my husband or call 911 or something but after a few minutes I was fine and back to normal.
This is the first time anything like that has ever happened like that.
Can anyone give me advice on what caused this or has it ever happened to you?
It has happened to me more then once, that is the funny thing about emphysema steam makes it worst not better like some folks might think I am glad you were able to get out of the bathroom. Try not using such hot water next time and bring your legs up to you don't bend over. And remember to purse lip breath!! God Bless You.

Old 01-14-2006, 06:50 PM   #6

marjoe60 HB User

I have environmental illness and this happened to me. Could be the chlorine in tap water or something in well water. I got myself an expensive water filter that fit over the shower head and that helped big time.

Marilyn

Old 01-16-2006, 12:39 PM   #7
(male)

kd7cot HB User

Limpalittle,

I know the feeling though I'm on o2 24/7 so far I've been able to work - not full time but about 30 hours a week. I've been lucky to have an understanding boss!

Jhamilton,
Limpalittle is right the most important thing you can do is see a Doctor! After that let us know what's up and ask questions, there are a lot of healpful people here, and some like me that try to be

Jeff

Old 03-08-2006, 05:43 AM   #8
(female)

jhamilton401 HB User

This has happened again but not as severe yesterday
I don't smoke, I've been healthy all my life except for a heart murmur and acid reflux.
Now yesterday driving to my parents my upper chest in the area of my lungs became very tight like an elephant was sitting on my chest, even though I could still breathe fine. And my chest felt cold and clammy inside.
Wouldn't the doctor have detected something by now if I have emphysema or COPD from my yearly physicals I go to?
I'm not a smoker, never have been.

Old 03-08-2006, 05:51 AM   #9
(female)

jhamilton401 HB User

Right now we do have a mold and mildew problem behind the wall of our bathroom shower too. Could that have been a contributing factor to what happened to me?
We are awaiting the repairman to come out in the next few weeks.
When we bought our home we didn't even know we had a problem with mold and mildew until one of our shower walls became very weak and has almost caved in completely.
We have it covered up now with trashbags and duct tape until we can get someone out here to repair the damage.

Closed Thread