It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2006, 05:33 PM   #1
(female)

whispergrrl HB User
Rattle in my lungs...

I don't know how else to describe it, really. I have noticed for a while now that if I sleep on my back, when I wake up, I have this rattle in my lungs when I take a deep breath. It kinda tickles...kinda feels like congestion when you are sick...but it is just at the end of the deep breath in.

Anyone have a clue what this could be? Thanks in advance for the help...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2006, 08:41 AM   #2
(female)

TriciaR HB User
Smile Re: Rattle in my lungs...

I have the same thing but mine's just on one side (left). It's kind of like a vibration and after awhile (sometimes several hours) it clears. Mine like yours is on inspiration. (usually late in the inspiration that I kind of hear a wheeze).

One thought on why it happens at night is reflux may be causing it. It can cause voice box swelling and even sometimes get into the upper trachea or lung area. Also I believe reflux can trigger wheezing with vagal nerve stimulation. I finally got on Nexium and it began to be much better after sleeping. Now sometimes only occurs after eating. If you do have reflux there are many foods that you may want to avoid and don't eat or drink for 3 hours before going to bed.

Another thought is that inspiratory wheezing is often an upper airway obstruction of some sort: sinus drainage, inflamed voice box or trachea. If you have sinus problems night time drainage may be a factor.

Hope any of this helps,
Tricia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2006, 06:50 PM   #3
(female)

whispergrrl HB User
Re: Rattle in my lungs...

Ah....I hadn't thought about the drainage factor. I do have allergies, and take Allegra and Nasonex for them daily. My "rattle" happens at the end of the breath too, but only after I have been sleeping on my back. Thanks for the info on your experience!

Closed Thread