It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2006, 01:38 AM   #1
(female)

shadowcharmed HB User
Lung function 3 years after blood clots

In summer 2003 I was taken into hospital with what turned out to be multiple blood clots in both lungs, after several weeks of shortness of breath and nearly passing out.
I was on blood thinners for 6 months and was deemed "clear" though I was not given any more VQ scans or actual tests.
No reason has ever been found for the clots - no DVT was found, and I had various blood tests (including genetic), and an ultrasound on my pelvis, but no explanation was ever found.

3 years later my lung function is still not best. I get breathless when walking uphill, especially if I am carrying a bag and my chest actually hurts. I don't feel like I can really take a proper deep breath, even at rest. Strangely, I don't get breathless when I exercise - I play tennis and badminton and can hurl myself round the court with no ill effects.

Despite the sport mentioned above, I would not consider myself fit. I am about 3 stone overweight, and because of a severe back problem, I am unable to do very strenuous exercise (ie aerobics). Consequently, I almost never do cardio-vascular exercise and when I play tennis and badminton I run in very short bursts and then there is a natural break between each point.

Anyone else experienced this residual problem years after pulmonary embolii?
I don't feel it's worrying enough to go back to my doctor (especially as I am worried they would refer me to the hospital and I'd end up being kept in for a week like I was 3 years ago!), but any opinions gratefully received.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2006, 05:53 AM   #2
(female)

smurfette0647 HB User
Re: Lung function 3 years after blood clots

Hi, my dad had the same problem in 2002 and also suffered from shortness of breathe afterwards. July 26th my dad went in for a hernia operation and his oxygen level dropped low now to find out he has pulmonary fibrosis at the ending stage of this disease. If I were you I would make sure you get further testing. Hope everything works out alright.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:54 AM   #3
(female)

jstoli HB User

Have you ever had a PFT done since your illness. Might be something to discuss with your doctor. Also, how's your ticker? Have you had that checked??

Old 09-29-2006, 01:03 PM   #4
(female)

shadowcharmed HB User

I had my heart checked (just with the little sticky pads) the day I was sent to casualty but it was all fine and nothing has ever been mentioned again.
As far as any follow ups are concerned, once I had done 6 months on Warfarin, that was that. I've never been invited back by the hospital for any check-ups and I've been to the GP a few times since (about other things) but have never been asked how I'm feeling now after the blood clots. I realise that I should have been more proactive and mentioned it myself, but I kind of dread doing that in case they send me into hospital again!

I've found in the past that asking a GP about further tests is usually met with resistance as it costs them money, and all of my GPs have always seemed to be rather insulted if I mention that I have done any research myself and think maybe I know what I need!

However, given the above, I'll make an appointment with my GP and see if I can get a PFT - if only I knew what that stood for!!! Pulmonary Function Test? Just guessing.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 09-29-2006, 03:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

Too bad that they're insulted if you ask questions and are interesting in getting better! Yes, a PFT is exactly that - Pulmonary Function Test and it can tell the doctor a lot of things, so I would think your doctor would want you to have one! Good luck.

Closed Thread