It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2006, 05:15 PM   #1
(male)

Chirs Sullivan HB User
Frequent Deep Breaths/ Yawning

A few months ago i noticed that i felt i needed to take a deep breath every few minutes for my lungs to feel "satisfied". If i dont wait long enough between deep breaths, then my lungs wont feel satisfied and i will have to wait a little longer. This usually doesnt bother me too much unless i really think about it and i continue to run varsity cross country and the breathing is no worse when i am running. I am 16 years old and a male by the way. I have never smoked or anything like that, and i have no problems sleeping. What could this be? Should i see my doctor? Just want to figure out whats going on. Does it seem like it is serious? Thanks

Old 11-11-2006, 08:29 AM   #2
(male)

midi77 HB User
Re: Frequent Deep Breaths/ Yawning

Are you under any stress or anxiety, I get this when I think about my breathing, or when I am stressed...

It goes away when I sleep, or when I don't think about it....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2007, 03:28 PM   #3
(female)

kellynnfitness HB User

I\I was a Marine (aviation ordnance and also am a bodybuilding fitness competitor (never did drugs) don't smoke and have used aspartame and had sensitivities to it. I also am having a breathing problem. I have been checked for asthma, and allergies..both negative. I am a 26 yr old female and feel very confused and helpless at this point. The breathing is only fine when I am sleeping. It won't go away if if I think about other things. This was a sudden problem, and I don't know where to turn.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:19 PM   #4
(male)

jcgman73 HB User

Dear Fellow Thread Members,

I happened on this thread just today and am astounded at how identical many of your symptoms are to mine! I have been suffering from shortness of breath for about 5 years. I have been treated for asthma, but to no avail. X-rays, heart stress test, blood oxygen are all normal, but flow volume loop (lung test) is not. Saw a pulmonologist who said it was GERD and prescribed Nexium, but nothing changed. Saw another GP and pulmonologist, who played the "anxiety" card. (I once heard a doctor remark that doctors diagnose anxiety when they have no clue what to diagnose.) In any event, I played along and took SSRIs (anti-anxiety meds) for about a year, still nothing improved. GI did an endoscopy and said that everything was fine, but prescribed PPIs (Aciphex). No improvement. After more appointments with my pulmonologist, he diagnosed me with vocal cord dysfunction (VCD). Check out National Jewish Hospital's website and an article entitled "Can't Breath? Suspect Vocal Cord Dysfunction" for more info.

VCD occurs when the vocal cords adduce (constrict) the windpipe during inspiration. Under normal conditions the vocal cords relax to allow for normal breathing. This doctor "confirmed" this diagnosis with a laryngoscopy, stating that he witnessed the vocal cords come together when I inhaled. He prescribed speech therapy, which put me in better touch with my breathing, but has not yielded meaningful relief.

I temporarily gave up on the condition for about a year, trying to resolve myself to the fact that this nightmare was simply my cross to bear. It is all the more frustrating because friends and co-workers perceive that nothing is wrong with me, but inside I am literally fighting for every breath, desperately gasping for a lungful of air that I incidentally get only from the occasional successful yawn or by contorting my body.

In any event, I started noticing that I always felt the worst after eating. I did some research and learned of a condition known as laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR). LPR is reflux disease that typically doesn't create heartburn. Instead it causes acid and digestive enzymes to bypass the upper esophogeal sphincter where it does all sorts of horrible things to the larynx-pharynx. Successful treatment of LPR requires diet and lifestyle modifications, many of which have already been offered in this thread, and others that are readily availbale on a Google search of LPR. What I'd like to emphasize, however, is that unlike GERD, the most commonly known reflux disease, LPR treatment calls for a DOUBLE dosage of proton pump inhibitors. I'm currently on Protonix, but there are others such as Nexium and Aciphex. LPR PPI treatment usually requires several weeks, if not months, and possibly up to a year to reverse the acid damage that has been triggering the underlying symptoms.

After saying all that, I've been on the double dose of PPIs for about a month, with no real improvement, though I'm reminding myself to be patient. And I do feel tons better by not drinking caffeine or carbonated beverages. With the LPR theory in mind, I re-approached my pulmonologist, who quickly dismissed my theory b/c he said that he hadn't seen any acid damage to my vocal cords when he scoped them a couple years ago. Thus he stood by his VCD diagnosis and recommended additional speech therapy and possibly a referral to National Jewish, the preeminent lung hospital in the U.S.

I asked for a referral to an ENT, who peeked at my vocal cords and said that they were fine and exhibiting a full range of motion. He also asked me if I had anxiety. I wanted to answer that after 5 years of not being able to breathe, or for that matter, live, normally, yeah, I guess I might be a little anxious. But I simply told him that anti-anxiety meds didn't help. He scheduled me for a videostroboscopic exam of my vocal cords, which will allow for a closer and more detailed look at them.

I apologize if this post is a little long-winded (no pun intended). I'm frustrated that people don't understand just how much this condition zaps one's quality of life. Working is a chore, as is reading, housework, or simply driving, not to mention going to the gym. I feel as if I'm a shell of my former self who was energetic, hard-working, and confident about his abilities, and yes, happy.

Does anyone know if an endoscopy could miss a hiatal hernia? All of my doctors say it can't, but I have a strange sensation in my abdomen and often experience a bloated feeling after eating. Just wondering if I should add this to my LPR theory.

Hopefully someonw can find something useful in this post toward our common, and reasonable, goal of normal breathing. Wishing you all the best of progress with your breathing struggles and keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

JCG

Old 01-21-2007, 01:55 AM   #5
(male)

652 HB User

jcgman73 - I get Bloated to and the same feeling in my stomach. Had an endoscopy also and doc didn't find a hietal hernia but I don't think he's that good...

Old 01-21-2007, 02:00 AM   #6
(male)

652 HB User

Do you also get pressure like you have to burp - but can't? Do you exercise?

Old 01-24-2007, 03:08 PM   #7
(male)

jcgman73 HB User

Yeah, definitely, but I feel that if I burp that I'll vomit a little. I have to be very careful so that this doesn't happen. I try to exercise as much as I can, which basically boils down whether or not I'm breathing well enough on that particular day. Sit-ups/crunches are particularly uncomfortable.

I have to reiterate that cutting out carbonated drinks and caffeine, as well as eating smaller, more frequent meals, seems to have reduced the bloated sensation substantially.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:14 AM   #8
(male)

652 HB User

Same here! Thanks and good luck to you.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:52 PM   #9
(female)

divadiamond HB User
Smile Re: Frequent Deep Breaths/ Yawning

I have have a really simular problem. LES Dystfuntion/Lower Esophageal spinchar Dysfunction. I don't have the problems witih deep breathing, but the rest sounds the same. I constantly have to clear my throat, have reflux, chest pain etc. My gastroenderologist (I'm sure this is not spelled correct)
had me go to the hospital for an manometry test. That is what my diagnosis was based on. I get botox 2 injected in my esophogus. Does help a lot but doesn't last and must have it redone ocassionally.

Old 01-25-2007, 05:28 PM   #10
(male)

652 HB User

Divadiamond, What were your symptoms, how long did they last, when would they happen? Did they go away completely when you got the botox? Was bloating one of your symptoms? Thanks for any advise

Old 01-26-2007, 06:09 PM   #11
(female)

vinniez HB User

I am 53 and have always been in great health with the exception of a few minor issues. About 7 years ago I had the same sensation described by many here. Could not get enough air in, yawning would help but sometimes the yawn would not do the trick. Of course, a little panic would set in and seem to make it worse. Had all the pulmonary function tests, was given an inhaler which did not work and suddenly the symptons went away without the inhaler. Once in a great while they would come back - nothing major and would disappear quickly. Now, I find myself with the same symptoms again only worse. More yawning - sometimes works, sometimes does not. The doctor gave me an inhaler to use twice a day and has scheduled me for more pulmonary testing. He thought it might be "anxiety issues" but said the chest x-ray indicated my lungs appeared to not be dispelling air properly. Now he thinks it could be asthma - same as last time and it was not. This time it has hung in there with me longer than last time 7 years ago and is causing me stress. It has been getting progressively worse for a month. It really started after a bronchial/sinus infection that hung on for over a month. When that was gone, I was fine for another month then this really escalated. I do not cough but seem to clear my throat more than usual these days. If I do not think about it, it is not as bad but there seems to be no pattern and I am becoming very frustrated. No better or worse when I exercise and there seems to be no pattern. I am interested in hearing more about those folks with sinus problems that have contributed to similar breathing issues. The problem is scaring me a little as I worry if it will continue to get worse. I should not say misery loves company but I feel better knowing that I am not alone in this problem and it is not in my head.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:56 AM   #12
(male)

jcgman73 HB User

vinniez,
It's definitely not all in your head. I can't think of anything more anxiety inducing than not being able to breathe. Although it hasn't cured me, speech therapy has provided some degree of relief at times. Of course, I don't know if your breathing difficulties are casued the vocal cords, as in my case, but the breathing exercises, if nothing else, are useful as a relaxation technique.

Make sure you are using your diaphragm to breathe, not your shoulders/upper body. While in a comfortable position, either sitting or lying down, place your hands on your belly and simply breathe. Feel your belly rise when you inhale and fall when you exhale. Inhale through your nose, then exhale (but don't force air) through pursed lips. Repeat the same but try exhaling while making an "sssssss" sound, then an "ffffffff" sound. I usually do about 3 sets of ten of these, and they can calm the body and regulate breathing. Hope this helps.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:28 PM   #13
(female)

HarlequinKisses HB User

Hi Chris, I too have been having the same problem. I have the need to take a deep breath and feel that the only way of doing so is if I yawn, which in most cases doesn't work either. I'm 15 years old, and unlike you, I don't exercise. I don't smoke either. I have had this in the past, only lasting for 2 or 3 months, and it has just recently come back. It's really hard to concentrate on school work when you can't breathe...More information would be great if anyone has any!

Kyla =]

Old 01-29-2007, 08:30 PM   #14
(female)

HarlequinKisses HB User

Oh ya, and I forgot to say I don't have Panic attacks, or anything to do with anxiety.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:39 PM   #15
(male)

tfolding83 HB User

Hi everyone, 24 m, I've had this problem for about 5 months now. It almost appears at random. I read that it might be a panic type attack. i'm not too sure. I had PFTs done and they show a large change under a couple of the tested sections. The doc has me on Advair now but it's only helping a little bit.

Closed Thread