It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2006, 10:19 PM   #1
(female)

angelofsin HB User
coughing up black stuff

hey people, I have smoking for 3-4 years and since september, i have been coughing up blak stuff in my mucus, not evertime, but maybe...4-5 times a week, and only twice has it come out my nose when i blow it. i have to be checked for TB soon, or it could just be tar. does anyone have this problem or know anyone with it? I can't find anything through research, only forums about this topic, but they are all very recent, please help me if you can. thanks.

Old 11-18-2006, 05:30 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User
Re: coughing up black stuff

angelofsin*****the only time i've had that happen was when i quit smoking the first time. i had a bad case of bronchitis and after 3 months of not smoking my cough was still horrendous. one night in the middle of the night i started choking and when the blob came up i went into the bathroom and put it in the sink. in the dark i knew something ws wrong because you could see it (soryy for being so vivid) it was black as tar. after that i never coughed again and when i told my dr. he said congratulations you have finally cleared your lungs out. it was all the garbage under the Cilia i think they are called that lay down with a smoker and whe you quit stand up again and all the garbage that's laid under them comes out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2006, 04:36 PM   #3
(female)

angelofsin HB User

yeah, I've heard of that happenng. but i haven't cut back or quit to cause that. but can i ask what are the symptoms of bronchitis? ----the doctors seem to think that it might be TB, but I'm not sure yet, i have to cough it up into this jar (sorry ><) and take it in for tests. but thanks for your relpy. ^^

Old 11-18-2006, 08:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

Hi. I have chronic bronchitis and it's horrible when it acts up. I have the deepest, loudest cough anyone around me has ever heard. Usually it flares up when I get a slight head cold. I start out with a dry, hacking cough. Then it goes to a choking till I upchuck cough. I can't sleep lying down when the bronchitis is at it's worst. If I try to lay down, I cough till I choke. Then finally when the worst of it is over, the cough becomes productive and I cough up white or clear phlem. I cough till my ribs hurt and the coughing is so bad that I have to wear Depends or I risk humiliating myself.

In all the years that I've had bronchitis, I've never coughed up anything black. Even when I quit smoking (I smoked for about 20 years), that never happened to me. I have heard of it happening to others though.

I have two different inhalers that I use for my bronchitis now. One is for the coughing and one is to help prevent the next flareup.

I'm just starting to get better from my latest flareup. It usually takes about 6-8 weeks for my bronchitis to get better.

Good luck with the doctor visit!

Barb

Old 11-18-2006, 09:51 PM   #5
(female)

angelofsin HB User

thank you. but i don't think that's what i have..I don't really cough much..but thank you the help ^^

Old 11-20-2006, 04:31 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Basically with TB you would experience a very bad cough, fever, dizzyness, you would be coughing up blood and lots of musuc and your chest would feel like it was literally on fire. My Grandad had TB for 6 months and this was his symptoms. He never coughed up anything black.

I had tar when I was younger. I didn't cough up anything black then either. Did you eat anything black 1-2 days before you coughed up this black blob thing? I'm curious incase this dyed your mucus black. This happened to my mum once. She eat some spicy red food, coughed up loads of red mucus and thought she was bleeding to death. Went to doctor, lungs were all clear and they said it was dye from the food. (sorry I just noticed you said its been happening since Sept)

Did your Doctor say your lungs are clear? What other symptoms do you have or is the black blob the only symptom? What tests have been performed?

Old 11-20-2006, 06:02 PM   #7
(female)

angelofsin HB User

honestly, i went to the hospital last week for my back(constant severe pain). And I brought up the black stuff to the doctor, and All he had to say was "stop smoking" dumb huh? It really made me mad, so I went to a clinic, well..More of a branch off of another hospital, and I now have a sterilized jar to cough it into, but I have yet to cough any up. ( I don't think that I added that it comes out my nose too. sorry to be grose) my symptoms are...night sweats, headaches, fever, light-headedness. ---and my whole back problem. But I'm really not sure which comes from my back problems or the balck mucus. ><. But as soon as I cough more up I have to take it for a Biopsy. So I won't know anything until then. thanks for the reply

Old 11-21-2006, 03:08 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Hi Angel.

God it is so annoying when Doctors always say stop smoking or its stress related. Yes smoking can cause a lot of problems but what's stopping them from investigating the problem and treating it? *sigh*

Dizzyness, fever etc sounds like a infection somewhere. Have you had any recent blood tests performed? If not - I would get some tests done to see if there is a infection present.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:14 PM   #9
(female)

angelofsin HB User

thanks mystictiger, no..I haven't had any done in a while but I'll call about that tomorrow. Thanks for the reply again.

Old 11-22-2006, 02:39 PM   #10
(female)

angelofsin HB User

i have FINALLY coughed up some black stuff into my jar ^^ so I'll give an update soon on what the doctors say

Old 11-25-2006, 01:27 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Well done hun. Keep us posted.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:58 AM   #12
(female)

amb87 HB User

Hey angelofsin,
I have been smoking on and off for 3 years ish and and lately have been coughin up black stuff as well just as you have described. i also have been getting night sweats but didnt connect that to the coughing until reading your post. Im seeing a doctor today probably just to get an antibiotic but please keep me posted as to how your doctors turns out . get well !

Old 12-06-2006, 09:02 PM   #13
(female)

angelofsin HB User

Honestly everyone...v.v We took it in 3 hours after, due to car troubles, and they said there's a 2hour time frame..ger...but i haven't coughed up any more yet. Umm what do they think that you might have? anything that i should be seriously worried about? Also, I'm sorry for replying so late, but what did the doctor say? Thanks for the reply. please get back to me.

Old 12-08-2006, 03:44 PM   #14
(female)

angelofsin HB User
Wink Re: coughing up black stuff

oke! now I'm waiting on the results on the biopsy. ^.~

Old 12-08-2006, 08:24 PM   #15
(female)

amb87 HB User

I didnt even get in to see my own doctor, but the one that i did see gave me zithromax and just told me to take robutussin dm and that it was bronchitis. But I sometimes worry its something more ya know, lemme know about the biopsy, feel better!

Last edited by amb87; 12-08-2006 at 08:24 PM.

Closed Thread