It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2006, 07:23 AM   #1
(female)

drrootoil HB User
Question lung disease

My boyfriend had some test done and the DR told him he had lung diease and need to stop smoking, he has smoke since he was nine and his 52 now,, I ask him what lung diease he had and he said he told me but I can,t remember, I name off a few diease and he said no not that,, Dr won,t tell me anything, he had no lumps or mass in his lung,, so what kind do you think he has

Old 11-26-2006, 08:16 AM   #2
(female)

julie gibson HB User
Re: lung diease

I guess there could be a few things but the most common is COPD - which is a lung desease usually caused from smoking-(Cronic obstructive pulimanary desease) and can be treated with medication, exercise and not smoking

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2006, 09:48 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

hypatia HB Userhypatia HB User
Re: lung diease

The two primary chronic obstructive lung diseases are chronic bronchitis (which causes much mucous and coughing), and emphysema (not much mucous, but severe shortness of breath). There is a wealth of info online.

If your boyfriend can quit smoking, his disease won't continue to get worse. If he doesn't, he can look forward to many meds and hospital visits and ultimately have to go on oxygen.

I know, because I have severe emphysema and wasn't able to quit smoking till I was put on oxygen. Sure wish I'd been able to quit at his age.

Old 11-26-2006, 01:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User
Re: lung disease

If its COPD there is several treatments your partner can try but there is no cure for COPD only treatment. Avoiding smoking all together will help but if its COPD he will naturally, after a few years and depending on how bad his COPD is, detioriate. Best thing to do is have your partner ring up his doctor and stand by him while he finds out the name of his lung disease and then do some research on it. Good luck.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

suej1946 HB User
Re: lung disease

My husband also has lung disease. He was in the navy and was around asbestos. He was in the hospital 2 yrs ago and I was so afraid he was going to die. Dr tells him to stop smoking but he wont do it. I dont know what it will take. His being in the hospital scared him at the time. He quit for 6 wks and then right back on again.

Closed Thread