It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2006, 02:11 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

ispyrebel HB User
Quit Smoking but still sick

I got Pnuemonia??? Sept. 9th and went in hospital. I havent smoked since. The weekend of Thanksgiving, I get bronchitis again. WTH? I try to handle it myself but finally today I go to the doc. She gives me more steroids, antibiotics and more meds for my nebulzer.
She says I still have remenants from my smoking in the lungs. I am like WTH?
I am still paying for it.
I want my good breathing lungs back. Anyone here have the same problem of recurring bronchitis after quiting smoking?

Old 12-07-2006, 05:48 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

hypatia HB Userhypatia HB User
Re: Quit Smoking but still sick

Maybe your immune system was still compromised from the pneumonia, but just think how sick you might have been if you had continued to smoke. Another plus is that you will keep getting stronger and stronger without that nasty nicotine. Just hang in there and take very good care of yourself.

If you are a long-time smoker and haven't done so, when you are fully recovered you should have complete pulmonary function tests to insure you have no lasting damage.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2006, 07:44 AM   #3
(female)

Saramine HB User

Also steriods lower your immune system as well. I am currently quitting smoking after getting pneumonia at the end of nov and having to be hospitalized and the ER visit recently. If your around much 2nd hand smoke it is just as bad as smoking yourself. But pat yourself on the back quitting probaly saved your from pneumonia.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

I hate to say this but I quit smoking about 11-12 years ago and still I get bronchitis at least twice a year. I have a thyroid condition which affects my immune system so maybe that's why. I have been diagnosed this year with COPD (chronic bronchitis). They called it acute before this year but decided it was chronic after looking back on my medical records. I cannot be in a room with smokers even when my bronchitis isn't bad. I always have a bit of an annoying cough. I was at my in-law's house on Christmas Day and at least 3 of them were sick with a head cold type thing. I have it now and I'm praying it doesn't make my bronchitis flare up but chances are it will.

Believe it or not, I do feel better than I did when I quit smoking. If I would have continued to smoke, I don't think I would be here now. I think I would have been 6 feet under by now.

Love, Barb

Closed Thread