It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2007, 03:59 PM   #1
(female)

RhondaQ HB User
What is a lung nodule?? >>>

I went to the doctor last Saturday thinking I had bronchitis. Doctor took chest xrays and said that I was full of congestion, so prescribed antibiotics, cough syrup and an inhaler as I was complaining of being short-winded. Today I received a call from the nurse stating that they had found a nodule in the middle of my right lung. The only thing they explained was that it could be a growth/tumor or calcium deposit. When I asked about cancer, they said that it was a possibility but that there was no way of knowing without a CT scan, which is taking place on Monday. I'm a nervous wreck!! Can someone please enlighten me or did the nurse basically tell me everything without having the test results? I have never heard the term "nodule" before. Both my mother and grandmother died due to complications of lung cancer.........I lost my dad this year on Thanksgiving, so haven't had time to get thru the grieving process and yet we now have this to deal with too. My poor husband is a total wreck I'm sure as is the rest of my family. Praying that this isn't a serious matter......Thanks for hearing me out.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:59 PM   #2
(female)

Proverbs3:5 HB User
Re: What is a lung nodule?? >>>

Lung (pulmonary) nodules are small masses of tissue in the lung. Most lung nodules are noncancerous (benign). But some may represent an early stage of lung cancer. Noncancerous causes of lung nodules include:

Histoplasmosis, a fungal infection that primarily affects the lungs
Tuberculosis
Lung cysts
Vascular abnormalities

So hopefully yours is one of the above and not cancer. I will be praying for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2007, 08:00 PM   #3
(female)

RhondaQ HB User

Thank you so much for responding!! Hopefully there's nothing to worry about......Someone asked me if I was getting a CT scan with contrast, but neither the hospital nor the doctor's office mentioned "contrast", although I was told to fast 4 hours prior to the testing. I DO know that I'm highly allergic to kidney dye, so will mention that when i go in, but what exactly is a "contrast"? Also, are needles involved in the CT scan?? Egads...i sure wish i had thought to ask these questions today, but the nodule thing was my main concern.

TY again

Old 01-06-2007, 04:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunnydaze1 HB User

I have a benign lung nodule but I was a wreck over the whole thing before I finally got my results. Having never been a smoker, I kept telling myself that it just has to be benign.

I had a PET scan after a CT scan discovered it in the first place. PET scan proved it to be benign.

I do have followup CT scans every 8 months and it only takes about 5 minutes. They do it with and without contrast. With the contrast, an IV is inserted into your arm with just a little bit of contrast. Kind of give a feeling of warmth for a few seconds and an urge to urinate...but you don't so don't worry about that. It's over in a matter of a few pictures and minutes. They remove the IV and tell you to drink plenty of fluids to flush the contrast out of your system.

Definitely tell them about your allergic reaction to the kidney dye..whether it's the same stuff or not, I don't know, but make sure you bring it up.

Try not to worry, the test is a piece of cake...it's the waiting for results that's worse. Best of luck to you and let us know how it works out.

Old 01-07-2007, 11:01 PM   #5
(female)

RhondaQ HB User

Thank you Sunny! I'm only 10 hours away from the CT scan now and feeling lightheaded and sick to my stomach with worry. Another of my main concerns aside from the possibility of it being cancer (which is THE BIGGEST FEAR) is the lack of medical insurance. My husband just started a new job and he doesn't qualify for another 8 weeks or so. Could they then turn me down for pre-exisiting conditions?? OMG! Yes, I'm a mess right now....not sure i'll be able to sleep at all tonight, but must remember that i can't have coffee in the morning or any food/fluids for 4 hours prior to the testing.

Congrats on your's being benign, sweetie!!! That's such awesome news and sure you must be extremely happy!! What a relief, right? Glad to hear the tests don't take long, but yes waiting on results can be nerve wracking! Hopefully they call right away with good news!

I'll be sure to post once I hear something. Thanks SO MUCH for responding to my post!!

::HUGS:: Rhonda

Old 01-08-2007, 07:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunnydaze1 HB User

Oh you're so very welcome! I'll say a prayer for you that everything goes well and and you get good results! Think positive thoughts and I look forward to hearing that you're going to be fine.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:30 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I know EXACTLy how you feel!!! I had back surgery in 2004 and they did routine chest xray the day before. Well, I got a call saying we'd have to put the surgery on hold bc they found a nodule on my lung. I bawled and cried I was so scared, especially since I was a smoker and had just quit literally a month before that. So, I had my chest xray that day and the surgery went on. I was seen by a pulmonologist later and he said it was more than likely fungal. I live in the midwest and he said it is very very common and most people who live in areas with fungus and mold have them and they are harmless for the most part. He did suggest I get follow ups though with CTs to be sure it isn't growing. I also grew up with many in house birds and that can also influence that.
I will be crossing my fingers for you that it like mine, is nothing. I know how scary it is-I am 29 now, and am still smoke free. Haven't seen a doc since about it, but guess I'll ask my primary on wed when I see her to see if I need to .
Best wishes to you

Old 01-10-2007, 08:18 AM   #8
(female)

RhondaQ HB User

Oh Mel!! I live in the midwest too and doctor told me the same thing about farmland, etc mixed with humidity causing mold and fungus. I guess this is very common, right? I did receive news on the results just yesterday and found out that i had not 1 but 2 nodules (very small ones) and both were not cancer!!!! She said something about them being calcified deposits and to come back in 3 months for another CT scan to make sure they haven't changed in shape or size. THANK THE GOOD LORD for watching over me! And thank you ALL for the prayers!!! I asked that the doctor prescribe something to help me quit smoking, so plan to start on this tomorrow morning after i've had a chance to stock up on chewing gum, lozenges and bottled water. LOL! Blessings to all, Rhonda

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel1977
I know EXACTLy how you feel!!! I had back surgery in 2004 and they did routine chest xray the day before. Well, I got a call saying we'd have to put the surgery on hold bc they found a nodule on my lung. I bawled and cried I was so scared, especially since I was a smoker and had just quit literally a month before that. So, I had my chest xray that day and the surgery went on. I was seen by a pulmonologist later and he said it was more than likely fungal. I live in the midwest and he said it is very very common and most people who live in areas with fungus and mold have them and they are harmless for the most part. He did suggest I get follow ups though with CTs to be sure it isn't growing. I also grew up with many in house birds and that can also influence that.
I will be crossing my fingers for you that it like mine, is nothing. I know how scary it is-I am 29 now, and am still smoke free. Haven't seen a doc since about it, but guess I'll ask my primary on wed when I see her to see if I need to .
Best wishes to you

Old 01-10-2007, 01:45 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunnydaze1 HB User

So glad you got good news! Yep, same with me on followup CT scans...kind of preventative checkup to make sure there are no changes.

Best of luck on quitting smoking. I can't say I know what you're going through as I've never smoked, but I wish you well in your determination!

Closed Thread