It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
(female)

lifeisbeautiful HB User
2nd hand smoke

hiii everyone

i have been dating my current boyfriend for almost 9 months now. He and his mother both smoke inside of their house...he has been smoking for 7 years and she has been smoking for over 20. Their house smells like smoke the minute you step inside and everytime i leave i reek of smoke. My boyfriend doesnt smoke in the same room as me...but how could this second hand smoke be affecting me? i mean if i can smell it, doesnt that mean i'm breathing it in? Could I be really hurting my body? How long does the smoke stay in the house for before it stops being able to damage you?

I'm not sure if this is the right board for this question, but if anyone could help I would really appreciate it!

-kelly

Old 01-30-2007, 11:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: 2nd hand smoke

Actual particles of smoke stay in the hair, in his clothes, in his hair, furniture, curtains -- so you're breathing in particles of smoke he may carry with him. Last fall I stayed in a hotel that used to allow smoking and was in a previous smoking room. Had to wash and air out everything that was in my overnite bag.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2007, 12:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User
Re: 2nd hand smoke

I am an ex-smoker, they say the worst. My brother died from smoking - throat cancer. My father is dying of emphysema and copd. My mother has emphysema from being exposed to my father's smoking for over 50 years. Your health, over time, will be affected. My father finally quit smoking 6 months ago, after he had a stroke. He used the patch. While he was smoking I would not take my boys over to their house due to the heavy smell , not just the smoke, but the oils... Every time I came home I had to wash my clothes and take a shower. If I ever did have my boys over, I would have to ask my father, every time, to not smoke while they were there. One of my sons is allergic to smoke. His throat seizes up and his eyes get red and itchy.

So, in this day and age when smoking is 'not so cool,' you have to ask yourself, do you feel lucky? - lol, kidding. but you do have to consider not only the health risk you face down the road, but the illnesses that go along with smoking.

I think my son got it right. He is 17. Had his first serious girlfriend. It only lasted 4 months. No, she doesn't smoke, but there were other things she did that he saw would be hard to live with. She didn't eat vegetables, didn't keep up her appearance, and was not very affectionate. I mean in the cuddly kind of way. He thought about these things, and other stuff, for a few months to make sure he wanted to end it with her. So I guess what I'm saying is, before you invest a lot more emotion and time into this relationship, think with your head and not your heart. Remember, he also has a mother who has smoked for 20 years and will probably have health problems that he will have to care for.

Believe me, my sister and I are the ultimate financial support for my father. It's a long story but they have nothing. My father worked for himself and did not save any money. Does not have any 401k or retirement.

you don't say how old you are, but please seriously consider all the facts.

Last edited by sawbuck44; 01-30-2007 at 12:09 PM.

Closed Thread