It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2007, 09:50 PM   #1
(male)

Rower67 HB User
Pulmonary Embolism question

I had a PE just after christmas, and I'm slowly but surely getting back to decent health. I'm taking the standard warfarin for the next 6 months.

My question relates to exercise. I'm noticing that my heart rate is elevating rapidly during very low exercise exersion. I know its only been a month since the PE, but does anyone know how long this recovery take? Is elevated heart rate a normal side effect of recovering from a PE?

Any information would be most appreciated!!

thanks

Old 02-17-2007, 02:10 PM   #2
(female)

2weimies HB User
Re: Pulmonary Embolism question

I had a PE last march after surgery and also did the 6 months of Warfarin which I had an awful time regulating.. I hated being on it. I'd have to say that about 2-3 months after I stopped taking it I felt more human. Now almost a year later I thought I was doing well and now accidently they found a lung nodule which "lite Up' on a PET scan... I feel as though it could,might be related somehow to the PE last year but my doctors want me to see a surgeon. I don't really exercise so I can't say for sure if my heart rate is any different on or off coumadin. I know I was most cautious to avoid any bruising though.Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2007, 03:01 PM   #3
(male)

Jerryb28 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Pulmonary Embolism question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rower67 View Post
I had a PE just after christmas, and I'm slowly but surely getting back to decent health. I'm taking the standard warfarin for the next 6 months.

My question relates to exercise. I'm noticing that my heart rate is elevating rapidly during very low exercise exersion. I know its only been a month since the PE, but does anyone know how long this recovery take? Is elevated heart rate a normal side effect of recovering from a PE?

Any information would be most appreciated!!

thanks

Hello Rower,

I was hospitalized at the end of January with a large DVT in my left leg and PEs in both lungs. Blood testing determined that I have the Factor 5 V Leiden mutation. I am on Coumadin and am going to try to get back in the gym tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes. I still get twinges of pain in my chest and wish I could see what my lungs look like. My Dr. never gave me a good expanation of the actual healing process, just that my lungs would heal.
Any feedback will be appreciated.

Hang in there,

Jerry

Old 02-24-2007, 06:09 PM   #4
(male)

Rower67 HB User

Jerry,
how did you get on at the gym? I've been a couple of times, my heart rate is elevated. It very frustrating, but I guess exercise will help the clots dissolve.

cheers

Old 04-03-2007, 11:04 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User

I just found this topic and my husband who had been complaining of shortness of breath which was nothing new since he does have asthma and also had his upper right lobe removed in 2005 do to Lung Cancer but this was different.We found out he had many snall embolisiums in both lungs.In the hospital he was getting the Lovenex shot in the stomach plus the coumiden also.He was sent home last Sat and his pt/inr results were only 1.5.Sunday he was so sick with the runs and vomiting and confusion. The nurse came when this all started and took his PT count annd it was way up to 3.5 so no shots or pills for him and told us this was the cause. Yesterday it was down to 2 so he took a 2.5 pill last night and today his numbers are 2.1.He is still so weak and his heart rate is sky high.This is not from the legs and we are waiting for several different blood tests to come back.He was also told he might have to stay on the coumiden forever.My main question is they never checked to see if the clots are going away I am going to ask our pulmonary doc about that Thursday.He was also told to do things as he always did by the hospital when he got out yet everything that I have read says no take it easy.Any input would be appreciated. He has been through so much in the last two years I just want the doctors to help him and me understand the reasons and the solutions.

Closed Thread