It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2007, 08:52 PM   #1
(male)

jackcc HB User
cramping--albuterol sulfate

For 12 years or more I've had COPD. I've had severe body cramps since the first and stopped the cramps with quinine sulfate. I've led a "normal" life. Now the FDA won't let me use quinine anymore and my life is unbelievably bad. I have severe body cramps 24 hrs a day and never know when they'll hit. I'm like a cripple. My hands don't work right, I have a hard time getting dressed because the legs won't bend right, its hard to drive, I can't sleep without cramping and everything is painful and difficult. The quinine was stopped at the beginning of this month and I've been frantically searching for relief. I've pinpointed the cause to be the alburterol I use in my nebulizer 5 or 6 times a day. When I eventually get to see the doctor, I want him to give me something to replace the albuterol and stop the cramping.
I know I'm not alone with this problem. Has anyone found something that really stops these cramps or a good replacement for albuterol?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2007, 09:55 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

hypatia HB Userhypatia HB User
Re: cramping--albuterol sulfate

Xopenex is a kinder, gentler albuterol you might ask your dr. if you could try. It's also easier on the heart. I have severe COPD and use Spiriva once a day and foridil twice a day and seldom need a neb or inhaler anymore [knock on wood]. I do keep xopenex inhalers on hand for rescue.

Some people swear a bar of soap under the sheet by their feet (not Dove) eliminates cramping--you might try it. Also 500 mg of magnesium daily stopped the cramping I had when on Advair. If you try it, start with 250 mg daily. It's very inexpensive and good for our bodies but too much can cause diarrhea.

Quinine was taken off the market because of the number of deaths it caused.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2007, 10:27 AM   #3
(male)

jackcc HB User

Thanks for the reply
Its a big puzzle trying to figure out how to handle this problem as you know. I tried magnesium, vitamin C and found a leg cramp pill with quinine which got me through some rough spots. I'm puzzled today because I'm not cramping. The only thing I did differently yesterday was increase my vitamin E. I started at 400IU and increased it to 1200IU. That could be the answer. I hope so. Mustard worked for me too but only temporarily. I can''t believe the Ivory soap remedy. I stopped the Advair too and use Foradil. I like it better.
Thanks again for the reply.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:59 PM   #4
(male)

jackcc HB User

I foung the solution. Quinine from outside the US.

Closed Thread