It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2007, 05:56 AM   #1
(male)

steven_777 HB User
After-effects of bronchitis or something to worry about?

Two months ago, after trips to the US and Eastern Europe, I started feeling strange: very spaced out, hot and as though I couldn't use my full lung capacity. My lower arms were also tingling. Things got worse over the next few days, with a fever and a dry cough developing. When one night I woke up sweating and with my heart racing I decided to see my GP. I was diagnosed with acute bronchitis and given antibiotics (amoxicillin, 5 days).

My chest tightness (front of my chest, around my heart) was relieved to some extent within hours, but in the end the course did not make me feel 100% better, so I went back. The chest infection had cleared up, I was told, but since some of the symptoms reminded the gp of tb (and I had been travelling) he arranged for a chest x-ray. This showed up clear. I still felt pretty bad, especially at night, when I would often feel lightheaded and often as though someone were pressing the air out of my chest on exhaling. I also noticed that my heart rate was slow (around 45) and that during the 2-second intervals when it felt as though the air was pressed out of my lungs, my heart didn't beat at all, as though skipping a beat. I also had hot flushes during these nights (no fever). I decided to see the gp again. The infection was apparently back and I was given another 10 days of antibiotics (klacid). Again this gave me some relief, and the 2 weeks after finishing the course I felt better and better every day. The gp gave me some syrup to loosen up the mucus (which had been green on some days, colourless on others). After a few days this seemed to work reasonably well.

I thought I was cured, but about 5 days ago, however, the spaced out feeling came back, and it's there for several hours every day. Also in the evening and at night (always when I sit/lie down; not when standing up) I have these feelings of lightheadedness, air being pressed out, and skipped heartbeats. My heartrate at night is still around 45, BP 110/60-65. There are now no hot flushes but I am getting increasingly worried (not to mention a bit frustrated that work and private life are suffering) and wonder if finally I should request a blood test or some other form of examination from my gp. If these things are all normal after-effects of a chest infection, or are a virus that I’ll simply have to sit out, then I can live with that, but I’m going on holiday in 2 weeks’ time and would prefer not to have to worry about needing medical care abroad.

I am 32 years old, not overweight, a non-smoker and do regular exercise. There is some history of heart disease in my family: my father had several bypass operations when he was 55.

Thanks a lot in advance for any advice!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2007, 02:46 PM   #2
(female)

linda71 HB User
Re: After-effects of bronchitis or something to worry about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_777 View Post
Two months ago, after trips to the US and Eastern Europe, I started feeling strange: very spaced out, hot and as though I couldn't use my full lung capacity. My lower arms were also tingling. Things got worse over the next few days, with a fever and a dry cough developing. When one night I woke up sweating and with my heart racing I decided to see my GP. I was diagnosed with acute bronchitis and given antibiotics (amoxicillin, 5 days).

My chest tightness (front of my chest, around my heart) was relieved to some extent within hours, but in the end the course did not make me feel 100% better, so I went back. The chest infection had cleared up, I was told, but since some of the symptoms reminded the gp of tb (and I had been travelling) he arranged for a chest x-ray. This showed up clear. I still felt pretty bad, especially at night, when I would often feel lightheaded and often as though someone were pressing the air out of my chest on exhaling. I also noticed that my heart rate was slow (around 45) and that during the 2-second intervals when it felt as though the air was pressed out of my lungs, my heart didn't beat at all, as though skipping a beat. I also had hot flushes during these nights (no fever). I decided to see the gp again. The infection was apparently back and I was given another 10 days of antibiotics (klacid). Again this gave me some relief, and the 2 weeks after finishing the course I felt better and better every day. The gp gave me some syrup to loosen up the mucus (which had been green on some days, colourless on others). After a few days this seemed to work reasonably well.

I thought I was cured, but about 5 days ago, however, the spaced out feeling came back, and it's there for several hours every day. Also in the evening and at night (always when I sit/lie down; not when standing up) I have these feelings of lightheadedness, air being pressed out, and skipped heartbeats. My heartrate at night is still around 45, BP 110/60-65. There are now no hot flushes but I am getting increasingly worried (not to mention a bit frustrated that work and private life are suffering) and wonder if finally I should request a blood test or some other form of examination from my gp. If these things are all normal after-effects of a chest infection, or are a virus that I’ll simply have to sit out, then I can live with that, but I’m going on holiday in 2 weeks’ time and would prefer not to have to worry about needing medical care abroad.

I am 32 years old, not overweight, a non-smoker and do regular exercise. There is some history of heart disease in my family: my father had several bypass operations when he was 55.

Thanks a lot in advance for any advice!

Old 07-06-2007, 02:48 PM   #3
(female)

linda71 HB User
Re: After-effects of bronchitis or something to worry about?

You should definately get a blood work up. I am amazed your doctor didn't order this for you right of the bat. Call him and ask him to do it. This doesn't sound normal to me. Good luck! Let us know how you made out.

Closed Thread