It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2007, 10:59 PM   #1
(male)

Jacob86 HB User
questions about pleurisy

i'm 20 y/o and i had it when i was in high school (maybe 16, i forget). well i think i have it again. i recintly had surgery on my wrist (don't know if that matters) but a few days after leaving the hospital i had a cigarette and i started feeling that familiar pain in my side.

should i go back to the hospital? or will i be ok waiting it out while on the pain killers i got from the surgery? they're 5/325 oxycodone. should i be taking ibprofin instead? or are these ok. i assume i should refrain from smoking?

also, i shiver a lot when i yawn.. is there any relation?

Old 07-24-2007, 01:10 AM   #2
(female)

seajay HB User
Re: questions about pleurisy

It sounds as if a call to your doctor may be a good thing. How did they treat your pleurisy before? One thing for sure, the cigarettes are irritating things. It's probably best to avoid them...forever...well, for now at least if you can.

I have pains associated with deep breaths in connection with my pleural effusions, but they have also told me I have opacities in my lungs, that they think to be areas of collapsed lung (atelectasis). Those areas can develop as a result of surgery. Soo, I have been told when I experience pain, to take deep breaths. I don't know what that helps with, but I do know that it hurts even more than the occasional spontaneous sharp pains I get. So surgery can cause some difficulties with your lungs because of the shallow breathing as a result of anesthesia.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to talk to your physician about what's happening to see how you should proceed.

I hope all is minimal and you find yourself feeling better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2007, 01:40 AM   #3
(female)

seajay HB User

Back again...I was reading some more information about atelectasis. What I did find out was that smoker's can try to avoid getting post-operative atelectasis by quiting 6-8 weeks before surgery. Smokers are more succeptable to getting atelectasis at any time.

It's a consideration, but I do hope you can get some answers and please keep us posted.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:52 PM   #4
(male)

Jacob86 HB User

when i got it before, i think the doctor just told me it was a little sac of water in my lungs. i think he just gave me 800mgs of ibuprofin and i had to wait it out.

i feel a little bit better today, but this morning i coughed up a decent size clot of blood (twice). is this normal or does this make it more serious?

Old 07-24-2007, 06:09 PM   #5
(male)

Jacob86 HB User

after doing some reading about atelectasis, i think that may be what i have. the surgery i had on my wrist consisted of a bone graft which involved taking some bone from my hip. (****pedia.org said it can occur after abdomen surgery).

can anyone let me know if coughing up clotted blood is normal? i read that treatments for atelectasis is deep breaths and heavy coughing to clear obstructions..

Old 07-24-2007, 08:36 PM   #6
(female)

seajay HB User

Coughing up blood is definitely something to have checked out. I'm not saying it is normal or abnormal, but there are some things that cause a certain amount of alarm and it's certainly not something to be dismissed. If it's atelectasis, then good, hopefully all will be well shortly. But it's best to have some things looked in to and that is one of them.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:52 PM   #7
(male)

Jacob86 HB User

i just wanted to let everyone know that what i had wasn't pleurisy or atelectstasis. i got blood clots after surgery and they moved to my lungs. i just got out of the hospital after a week of being on blood thinners. now i have to stay on them for 6 months to get rid of the clots.

the doctor said that i should have been moving around more and too much bed rest caused it. but before the surgery he never told me that, he just said to take it easy and get some rest. also, the bone graft i got from my right hip caused pain when i walked, so i put most of my weight on the left leg (FYI, the blood clots originally formed in my left leg), and i wasn't in bed the whole time (like my doctor assumed). I was walking around, going places, and going up stairs as much as i could.

just curious, if you've read the above paragraph, do you think it's possible that I could have a lawsuit? the doctors said the blood clots could've killed me if they moved to the brain... my moms boyfriend thinks i could, but i just wanted to get some other's opinions.

Last edited by Jacob86; 07-31-2007 at 02:53 PM.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:49 PM   #8
(female)

seajay HB User

Jacob,

I'm sorry about what happened. What an alarm. I don't know about law suits...when you had your surgery, did the hospital put those things on your calves that is supposed to help circulation? It was something they did after my neck surgery. As for lawsuit...it's something for deep consideration. Going up against anyone in the medical field is a difficult task as if there is any negligence whatsoever, it's difficult to prove and most in the medical field will testify on one another's behalf. Thankfully, you noticed that there was something wrong in time to save yourself. I come here trying to find answers and have gotten a few, but ultimately, it's up to me to go to my healthcare provider to get real peace of mind. Unfortunately, a diagnosis is not always a quick thing and it takes a few visits and maybe a few doctors to figure things out.

I'm glad you checked in and also glad that however shaking your last health scare was, you got through. Take care.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:01 PM   #9
(male)

Jacob86 HB User

thanks, i feel much better now. only thing that sucks is i have to be on coumadin for 6 months and I turn 21 in 4 months (doctors don't want me drinking on the meds ) oh, and they never had those stockings on me. the doctor said he wasn't expecting me to get the clots cus i'm so young.

Closed Thread