It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2007, 06:59 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Question ?'s about chronic bronchitis and COPD

I've been dx'd with chronic bronchitis. Does that mean I have a form of COPD or is that something different? I keep hearing on commercials the term "COPD with chronic bronchitis". I know emphysema is a form of COPD. Is bronchitis too?

Is there anything OTC I can take for the persistant cough? I don't have insurance and this cough is so annoying. I need a good sleep so badly....

Thanks.

Barb

Old 08-24-2007, 03:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User
Re: ?'s about chronic bronchitis and COPD

Hi Barb,
Sorry to hear of your difficulties. Bronchitis is a pain in the neck!

COPD stands for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. It's a broad term that encompasses a number of conditions. Emphysema is one. Chronic bronchitis is another.

Chronic bronchitis is, specically, a productive cough lasting three or more months out of the year for two or more years in a row.

I had this for 12 or 13 years, when I lived up in PA. Don't know why. I never smoked and couldn't relate it to anything else. I was otherwise quite healthy. For years, I would suffer for months. When it got really bad, I couldn't speak a whole sentence without coughing. I was homeschooling my kids and couldn't read to them. I tried every cough remedy in the store, but none of them ever did a thing. My muscles got so sore from coughing that I was in pain all the time just from breathing.

My cure came when I had just switched to a new family doctor. I had been waiting for him to start taking my insurance. He finally did and I switched, but I had never had an appointment with him. One day it was snowing and I reached my limit with the coughing. I called and asked if they had any cancellations because of the snow and could fit me in. They were closing, instead! But the doctor talked to me and called me in a prescription for an antibiotic. Three days later, I was fine! After a couple of years, I became resistant to the first tier antibiotic, so he would give me the second tier, but only if I absolutely needed it. Neither of us wanted me to become resistant to any other antibiotics!

Needless to say, he's my hero! No other doctor I had been to over the years ever thought to give me an antibiotic, but it knocked it right out. I knew I was waiting for him for a good reason!

Without insurance, you might try your local health department. Or call the pharmacy and ask for prices. Many antibiotics are quite inexpensive now, under $5 for regular price, insurance or not. Of course, you'd still need a prescription.

That's my story. I hope you find some relief soon. I know how painful it can be!

Take care,
Emily

P.S. Strange, but when I moved to Virginia I stopped having chronic bronchitis. Haven't had it a single year since leaving PA.

Last edited by BlueAtlas; 08-24-2007 at 03:43 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2007, 08:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

Right now, the only thing that's helping is Halls and drinking lots of water. I slept much better last night. I didn't wake up one time and I even took a nap this afternoon. That felt SOOOO GOOD!!!

Funny you mentioned a move. I've had bronchitis for a while and it's been at it's worst since I moved into the house I'm in now. And I'm only 7 miles away from where I used to live. Sometimes I wonder if it's something in these walls that's causing my flareups.

Anyway, thanks for explaining that to me. I'm glad to hear you're not suffering from this anymore. Your story gives me hope.

Love, Barb

Old 12-13-2007, 11:10 AM   #4
(female)

mystic65 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyLilDoggie View Post
I've been dx'd with chronic bronchitis. Does that mean I have a form of COPD or is that something different? I keep hearing on commercials the term "COPD with chronic bronchitis". I know emphysema is a form of COPD. Is bronchitis too?

Is there anything OTC I can take for the persistant cough? I don't have insurance and this cough is so annoying. I need a good sleep so badly....

Thanks.

Barb
Honey, why don,t you try something over the counter called Mucinex Dm? They have it in generic and extra strengh now too. Also, for sleep try Melatonin. Its in the vitamin section and quite inexpensive. It works. I take it after trying rx sleepers that never worked for me.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:46 PM   #5
(female)

deepcreek HB User

The ans wer is yes I have it myself copd international has lots of info

Old 01-02-2008, 11:08 PM   #6
(female)

Queendiva HB User

Deep Creek

What have you found that gives you relief? I've did the antibiotics and I am still coughing, struggling to breathing and getting tired from doing the simpliest of things.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:43 AM   #7
(female)

mystic65 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic65 View Post
Honey, why don,t you try something over the counter called Mucinex Dm? They have it in generic and extra strengh now too. Also, for sleep try Melatonin. Its in the vitamin section and quite inexpensive. It works. I take it after trying rx sleepers that never worked for me.
I totally agree with the Melatonin claim. I tried all kind of sleeping pills. Hated all the side effects of all of them. I tried Melatonin after it was recommended by a friend. It worked on the first night. You can take two pills too if one doesn,t work. The only side effect I have noticed is if I have to take 2 pills I will get up headachy some times.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:15 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Sandyspen HB UserSandyspen HB User

Hi Barb,

I don't know if you remember me from the Alz board.

I have COPD and often wanted to mention it to you as a possibility when you were in so much misery. I was afraid I might scare you, though, so I didn't.

I tell ya, if I'm really sick, like flu and misery, the doc gives me Biaxin anti-biotic. But I don't do that often because of getting resistant to the stuff, as the other poster said.

For just coughing, I've found a generic cough medicine at Walmart, I think it's a generic for Robitussun (spell?) But, read the label and get as much guaifenesin as you can. It's usually 100 sometimes 200. NO Dextromethorphan. That always makes me worse.

I think Bronkaid tablets are 400mg guaifenesin, but usually, the syrup from Walmart works for me.

Take care Barb,

Sandy

Closed Thread