HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/lung-respiratory-disorders-copd/)
-   -   Oxygen causes nose bleeds (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/lung-respiratory-disorders-copd/537314-oxygen-causes-nose-bleeds.html)

daddyo456 09-26-2007 05:42 PM

Oxygen causes nose bleeds

The doctor just put me on oxygen for COPD. When I use it for more than a few minutes, I start to have a nose bleed.
I am on coumadin so bleed very easily.
Does anyone have suggestions to help me with this problem

delrae4753 09-26-2007 07:15 PM

Re: Oxygen causes nose bleeds

[QUOTE=daddyo456;3228426]The doctor just put me on oxygen for COPD. When I use it for more than a few minutes, I start to have a nose bleed.
I am on coumadin so bleed very easily.
Does anyone have suggestions to help me with this problem[/QUOTE]

my husband had that problem for a while what happens is the nasal membranes get dry ask the dr for a nasal spray or what they might suggest the other thing you can do is to call the oxygen company and they may have a suggestion for you now once they put my husband on the oxygen concentrator we havent had that problem but call someone and see what they suggest they had my husband on a nasal spray he would use just prior to putting on his oxygen.

feelbad 09-27-2007 04:39 PM

just exactly what type of O2 delivery system are you now using and what is the liter flow?if you are on a nasal cannula the actual liter flow should not realistically go over around four liters tops(best at 3),or it just really dries out the membranes too quickly and constantly.using humidified o2 is always an option too.the one huge thing here tho i wanted to make certain that you were told is that under NO circumstances should you EVER use anything petroleum based like vaseline in or around your nose/mouth where the O2 will contact the area,it can cause reaction burns.the two do not mix real well.just make certain that anything that you place in your nose is not petroluem based and you should be fine.just an FYI from someone who has worked with O2 for many years in EMS.hope the problem goes away for you soon.Marcia

BlueAtlas 09-28-2007 02:35 PM

[QUOTE=feelbad;3230330]the one huge thing here tho i wanted to make certain that you were told is that under NO circumstances should you EVER use anything petroleum based like vaseline in or around your nose/mouth where the O2 will contact the area,it can cause reaction burns.the two do not mix real well.just make certain that anything that you place in your nose is not petroluem based and you should be fine.Marcia[/QUOTE]

Yes, Marcia is absolutely right. It could actually cause an explosion. Not to scare you, but better safe than sorry!

Contact your home care company. They should be able to provide a humidifier for your oxygen. They are readily available, but they aren't generally provided unless they're specifically asked for.

Emily

hypatia 09-28-2007 04:43 PM

The humidifier on my 02 concentrator has helped me immensely. I still need to use either Ayr gel or KY in my nose--neither are petroleum based and are totally safe. Saline nasal spray is also helpful. Another problem with vaseline and other petroleum products is that they can be inhaled into the lungs and cause exogenous lipoid pneumonia.

Only our dr. can prescribe the liter flow. Many patients with very severe COPD use a higher liter flow than 5.

feelbad 09-28-2007 05:01 PM

what matters most with O2 use is that the delivery system matches the liter flow,you know what i mean?five liters on a cannula would direct too much velocity(just because the tubing is very small as far as the opening?) into the very delicate membranes and possibly even tear them.if more than about four is actually called for,the delivery system should change along with it.if it doesn't,you can end up with a ton of nasal problems.i know they are always changing systems in different ways but it is pretty standard.adding humidity usually helps alot with some people who are on the higher flow amounts.it kind of helps to 'cushion' the air flow some when it hits up in the back of the nasal airway.marcia