It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2007, 04:13 PM   #1
(female)

Dancer_Cat86 HB User
Lightbulb coughing for 2 weeks, chest pain at night..what does it sound like?

Hi, I've been unwell for the past 2 weeks with something that started as a cold. Ive had symptoms of -

1st few days A dry cough (didnt bother me that much)
after few days turned into a cough that had thick green phlegm, and some hard green phlegm in it, and I felt abit tired and had a really blocked nose as well with very thick mucousy stuff in it

After a few days the cough got less green and turned into a mucousy yellow phlegm, and I had trouble sleeping for 2 nights coz I was having coughing fits at night.

The cough gardually got more mucousy, but still thick mucous, and I had loads of coughing fits where I was almost throwing up, because It wouldnt go...the coughs sometimes not productive also...and is worse at night, and for the past few nights from around 9 onwards I get a tight chest and mild discomfort across my back.

Ive been putting off going to the doctor because I dont want to seem silly comin in for a cold, but yesterday made an appointment just to check things out...The cough seems to be getting better, but ive been getting these hot and cold flushes at night, and also my hearts been beating abit fast also. Does this sound as if I have anything more than a cold?

I should also mention that as a child I had mild asthma, and everytime I had a cold it would go down to my chest, and I would cough for weeks...I thought I grew out of my asthma. I'm not weezing at the moment...but im wondering if i still might have some mild asthma bcause of the night coughing and tight chest?

I really hate going to doctors coz i feel like Im wasting their time, but just from your oppinions, does it sound like anything?

I'd be very garteful for a reply! Thankyou!

cat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2007, 08:28 PM   #2
(female)

alaska_free HB User
Re: coughing for 2 weeks, chest pain at night..what does it sound like?

Hi

I could have written this post. I had alot of the same symptoms except for the green phlem. I went to urgent care yesterday because of the coughing fits to the point of gagging, chest pain, shortness of breath, fever and no voice. Mine originally started out as a cold but within 2-3 days, the above symptoms picked up and it got to the point where I was always cold and couldn't breath. I had problems with asthma 15 years ago. I thought this was asthma related but it went downhill too fast.

Luckly, they did a chest x-ray and it was confirmed that I have pneumonia in my right lung. It progesses fast. Get in as soon as possible.

thanks
Jennifer

Old 11-22-2007, 08:07 AM   #3
(female)

Dancer_Cat86 HB User

hey, thankyou for your quick reply! I went to the doctor today, and she said that my chest sounded quite clear (I felt better today, and ddint feel as if there was any stuff in my chest), and she said that I prob had a really bad cold/virus, and that it was taking a while for me to get over it. She also was asking me if I was wheezing and stuff, and I mentioned I had asthma when I was small, and she pruscribed me an inhaler to take at night for the coughin/tight chest. She also said if the tight chest gets any worse or persists to go back and see her! I'm relieved that my chest seems clear. I think I must have had some kind of infection in my lungs, and its cleared up!

hope your pneumonia gets better soon, and hope you feel better!

Cat

Old 11-24-2007, 06:30 AM   #4
(female)

Dancer_Cat86 HB User

I'm still feeling i'll now, and its been 16 days since my cold started. Ive started getting shaky today. I thought it could have been the ventolin, but Ive only taken it once today (2 puffs). Any ideas why? I'm also feeling very weak..and I havent felt weak before now with this cold. Today I started coughing up phlegm thats starting to get abit yellowy... and thats in the mucus...Does it sound like a chest infection is starting again, or could this be getin to the end of thwe cold.lol..I really hope it goes soon. Its never ending.lol

I'd be very garteful for any replies! Thanks

Cat

Old 11-24-2007, 11:39 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Nanner HB UserNanner HB User

Cat, I'd get back to the doctor and this time insist on a chest xray. I don't care what they think your lungs sound like, after this amount of time they need to get a look inside. Feel better!

Closed Thread