It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2008, 04:12 PM   #1
(male)

mrk3n HB User
increasing prednisone when sick

On a 5mg dosage every other day. When the members of the household are sick, to help my chances of not getting sick I up my dosage? Is there any harm in doing so

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2008, 06:58 AM   #2
(female)

singerja1999 HB User
Re: increasing prednisone when sick

I have very bad feelings about prednisone. I became VERY nervous, increased appetite and hot flashes while taking it. These are very annoying for sure but that is not the worse effect. Thanks to prednisone I now have severe osteo in my back. I have fractured my back and I have never had so much pain. Prednisone will weaken your bones. I have asthma and when I questioned my pulmonary doctor as to why I am having so many porblems with my bones, he said it was definitely from the prednisone. Please be careful. Jackie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

hypatia HB Userhypatia HB User

Among all the other bad side effects, prednisone suppresses the immune system, so it would seem you would be less able to fight off a cold while on it. Your doctor is the person to ask for advice.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:05 PM   #4
(female)

hartman1112 HB User

I would be very careful with increasing prednisone without checking with your doctor. Cortisteroids suppress your immune system, increase blood pressure, cause unfavorable changes in cholesterol, cause sleep disorders, depression, aggression, etc. I would suggest increasing your Vitamin C intake, and echinacea tea. Both will boost your immune system without poisoning you at the same time.

Not a prednisone fan. I believe too much prednisone led to my recent gall bladder attack. In July 07 I had bronchitis/walking pneumonia, given biaxin & prednisone dose pack. Three months later it started again, was given kenalog shot & augmentin. It got worse so I went to a Med Center who changed my antibiotic to Biaxin, gave me two breathing treatments and an antibiotic injection (turns out it was a different cortisteroid). Five days after finishing the antibiotic, it was back again with a vengeance. Went to my doctor he gave me Cipro (antibiotic), which led to a bacterial infection (staph) on my face and psoriasis. My doctor changed my antibiotic to Ceclor. Three weeks later I was in the hospital with a gall bladder attack and the same cough. Then my doctor put me on another antibiotic Levaquin, gave me a different cortisteroid shot and sent me to a surgeon. I am 44 years old, and until last July I had not missed a more than a day of work a year (sometimes none) in over 10 years and have never had the flu or a flu shot. Now I have a doctor, pulmonologist and a general surgeon on speed dial.

Closed Thread