It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2008, 07:16 PM   #1
(female)

xochella HB User
Question Trouble Breathing

I've been having trouble breathing since this summer.

I was sick at one point - I had a chest infection. I was having a lot of trouble breathing; I felt like I couldn't catch my breath and no matter how hard I tried to take a deep breath, I just couldn't get one. The doctor gave me some anti-biotics and I felt fine for a while.

Then at the end of September into October I began feeling the same way. I went to the doctors and they told me I wasn't sick or anything and that it was all in my mind. But I honestly felt like something was wrong, so I went to the hospital. They took a chest x-ray, and did tons of blood work. Everything came back fine and clear.

I decided to wait it out and see if I could work my way through it and feel better. No such luck. I went to the doctor a few days before the end of October and he told me it was probably stress because of school and my driver's test that I was so nervous about. But he tested my oxygen levels and they came back perfect. He told me to try to relax and I'd be fine. Well...I tried relaxing, but it didn't help.

I went to the hospital a second time; once again, everything came back fine - they also ran an EKG/ECG (I think that's what it's called), which came back fine. But they referred me to a cardiologist, so I went. They did an ultrasound on my heart - everything was good. They made me take a stress test as well, and I did pretty decent with it.

Thanksgiving day, I was in the city with a friend and I had to leave in the middle of the parade because I felt dizzy and needed to get home. I had to go to the hospital a third time and this time they figured since I'd come three times maybe my stress levels were really high. So they perscribed Lorazepam. The first time I took it, it relaxed me and made it easier to breathe. After the first time, it's done nothing.

To this day, I feel as if I can't get a deep breath and that I am gasping for air. At times, yawning can help me get a breath, but most of the time I'll get halfway through a yawn and get no air. Then I start getting freaked out and I try harder to breathe and then that results in me getting lightheaded.

Any idea of what my problem could be and how I can resolve it? It's really bothering me.

I'm a 17 year old female, incase that helps with any suggestions.

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2008, 09:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User
Re: Trouble Breathing

Do you think it could be asthma? Do you have any wheezing while trying to breath? If not asthma which can be brought on by stress, the doc's and er could be right, it is most likely stress...I am surprised they did not give you any anti depressant to keep you from stressing out.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:01 PM   #3
(female)

xochella HB User

Well, I have asthma, but it's not bad. I've never had to use an inhaler or anything. I don't wheeze when I breathe. But the doctors gave me Lorazepam, which is for stress I think. They only gave me 12 pills so I only use it when I absolutely neccessarily need it.

I just don't know what else it could be because you'd think the doctors would be like "well since your family has a history of bad asthma, it could be this" but they don't. And my mom mentioned it to them and they were like "if it's asthma she'd wheeze".

=\

Old 01-11-2008, 01:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

I told my doctor not too long ago that I grew up with asthma, but haven't had it since my first son was born, that was 43 years ago. He said that it never goes away and gave me an inhaler. I won't use it, don't want to get my lungs dependent on anything unless I have too. And I don't have too, all I have is shortness of breath when I go up any hill, small or big, doesn't matter, I get out of breath when I go up the stairs in my own house. I am just thinking my lungs now have a very small capacity since I had such bad asthma when I was young. Anyway, the point of this is, whether you wheeze or not, it can be asthma. Now days, we need to do the research for ourselves and tell the doctor what we need, they just don't take the time anymore to get to know a person. So tell your doctor and demand that he do something about it, it is not in your head. Let me know how you are doing, take care...

Sunny

Old 01-12-2008, 11:38 AM   #5
(female)

xochella HB User

Okay, I know this isn't safe, but my brothers both have inhalers, so I tried one of them yesterday to see if it would help and it didn't. So I'm not sure if it is asthma. But it's definitely something. Especially cause my chest hurts pretty bad.

I told my mom today that I need to go back to the doctor, but she won't bring me today because my brother has a wrestling tournament. Lovely, huh.

Anyway, I'll probably go Monday...but I'm freaking out because I can't breathe and I'm getting light-headed.

And believe me, I've told my doctor more than once that it's not in my head and that I know my body and know when something is wrong. But he's got a thick skull and insists it's all in my mind. Haha.

Thanks for your input!

Old 01-12-2008, 12:08 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Try using some Vicks on your chest, you can also put some hot water and Vicks in a bowl and put a towel over your head and breath it. If it doesn't help, then you need to tell your doc you need an x-ray of your chest, you cold have pneumonia. Good Luck,

Sunny

Old 01-12-2008, 01:47 PM   #7
(female)

xochella HB User

Oh, I never thought about Vicks. I'll have to try those ideas.

Thank you!!

Old 01-12-2008, 02:07 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Let me know how you are doing....

Sunny

Old 01-15-2008, 06:50 PM   #9
(female)

xochella HB User

I went to the doctor yesterday and she told me that it's nothing...once again. Except that I have a slight chest cold and to take some mucinex and I'll be fine. Well, I took some mucinex yesterday before bed and I was like suffocating; I couldn't breathe or swallow. And I couldn't cough anything out or blow anything out either haha.

So I'm not sure what to do...and I've been using vapor rub and it helps clear my nose from my allergies, but that's about it and it doesn't help the fact that I can't breathe normal. Like my lungs don't expand all the way I feel like.

And now since my doctor keeps saying it is anxiety, my mom wants me to see a psychiatrist to try to find the source of my anxiety.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:11 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well, I think it is a stretch to see a physcologist, but you never know....and at the very least, you will satisfy your Mom, that is a biggie! As for your breathing, it does sound like stress, whether it be school, getting your driving test, and everything combined at your age does cause stress in all teenagers, and adults,so even if you think that nothing in your life is causing this, it does sound like something is, so be calm and give the psychologist a try, if in the end that doesn't work, it may be that even the psychologist are not for you, maybe it stresses you out to even go to one. So, take 3 deep breaths, (and do this often), It could end up being an allergy, sounds like the mucinex didn't agree with you. Take care, and keep me posted, I'm rooting for you!

Sunny

Old 01-15-2008, 07:37 PM   #11
(female)

xochella HB User

Yeah, I think I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

And I'm going to get back to taking my allergy medicine, too. I had to stop taking it for a while because of the other medication the doctor gave me and I finished like last week but forgot about my allergy medicine.

I also might try writing down everything that bothers me and stresses me out each day and try to think of ways to fix those things and see if that can maybe help, too.

Thank you for your input & support!

Old 01-17-2008, 06:07 AM   #12
(male)

3N0 HB User
Wink Re: Trouble Breathing

I came into these boards exclusively to research this problem. I am a 32 year old firefighter and combat challenge competitor and recently developed the same symptoms as every else in here who has reported it. After a couple of months of self diagnosis and treatments (including ECGs and ventolin by nebulizer), nothing seemed to be wrong. And, nothing worked. I wasn't running a temp, I wasn't coughing, though I do sometimes find I'm clearing my throat a bit more than normal... my recovery after a hard workout was usually only a few minutes- 10 minutes at the most and I was back to normal. Now after a workout it can take hours for my heart rate to resume its normal rhythm (about 60bpm). I ran with an O2 Saturation monitor on my finger the other day and it showed what appeared to be rather normal levels (generally above 95% at all times)... and checked my ECG right after the workout and it was running clear. Finally, after 3 months of this, I went to the doctor and she did a few things including a chest x-ray and it came out totally clear. She gave me a ventolin puffer and told me to try it before activity but I can't say it's helped at all.

I haven't been having trouble sleeping, and haven't been feeling dizzy or feint. The stupidest thing about this is I've been in the fire service for almost 8 years now and besides some recent "office crap" have never been stressed about it. It is, however, a caustic work environment- so I've allowed that it may have finally just taken its toll on me. Admittedly, at home with my fire station there I don't experience it as much, but my symptoms get worse as the time to go back up here get closer.

Many people in here talk about hyperventillating- but in my case I think it could be the other. I sense myself taking really slow, occasional breaths as opposed to really quick ones.

It would appear in this case that stress is a contributing factor. Once we allow ourselves to believe that it isn't in fact something "wrong" with us, I think we take a big step in "self medicating."

To XO. Keep us posted- this is the newest thread on the subject and I will be watching your progress closely. I definitely feel your pain- so I wish you the best in your pursuit of the solution.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:16 PM   #13
(female)

Triple777 HB User
Smile Re: Trouble Breathing

I've had the same breathing problems that many of you are talking about. It's been going on for about three years. In that time, I had all kinds of tests, stress test (very good), EKG's, oxygen sat's were 97% or above, but I felt like I was suffocating almost all the time. Also had a lot of chest pain. Still do. It's really scary feeling but I've become so accustomed to it that I just try to ignore it. But, in the last 3.5 years I have been stressed into oblivion, and I know that stress can do a lot of bizarre things to your body. It's not that it's all in someone's head, but that's where it starts. Stress, fear, anger, whatever, starts the chemicals going in your body. Last summer for the first time in a long time, I got to lay out at the pool nearly every day and relax. During that time I didn't have any chest pain and my breathing became a lot smoother.

Stress can do some freaky things to us.

Good luck to you all! Try to relax.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:27 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Hello!

I am so sorry that you all are suffering - I am TOO... Mine started in late October 2007. I get chest pain and tightness, its so much worse all throughout the night, and I wake up each morning with a very sore chest. At times I will even wake up at night GASPING for breath. I do not cough of wheeze (I do occassionally clear my throat as well).

I am on asthma meds - they do not help (inhaled steroid Flovent AND a Ventolin rescue inhaler).

I have had (2) Pulmonary Function Tests in the past (4) years - both NORMAL.

Heart work-up -- NORMAL....

Have any of your had Pulmonary Function Tests -- or have any of you been treated for Acid Reflux/GERD???

I feel like my life is slipping away (I am only 34) - because I never feel like I am breathing well or 'right' - and it gets so severe at times I feel like I cannot breath AT ALL

Old 01-26-2008, 12:35 PM   #15
(female)

PT1and2 HB User

I have almost identical symptoms, which are caused by my larygealpharyngeal reflux. This is also known as LPR, and is a specific type of reflux. The stomach acid comes up into the throat and causes what my doctors (asthma and ENT both gave this explanation) say is believed to be a neurologic reflex, possibly through the vagal nerve (which also can make you very dizzy). The neurologic reflex narrows your bronchioles. They do NOT respond to an ashma inhaler when this happens. Nor do any tests show that you are having any trouble breathing (in fact, the asthma doctor is always amazed that when I'd come in for acute onsets of this problem, my lung function tests were usually BETTER than my baaselines!!). The only thing that has helped this problem is being treated medically for the LPR. And this really has helped, so I really hope it will be the same for you!!!

Closed Thread