It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2008, 12:32 AM   #1
(male)

recruit2 HB User
Unhappy Can anyone help? I'm having trouble getting a full breath of air.

I've had this problem for the past week where I feel like I'm not getting enough air. I can't take a full breath of air and feel like I need to yawn in order to get air. But only 1 out of every 6 or 7 yawns is successful in getting a full breath. This problem is worsened when I'm lying down or when I have a full stomach. I actually have been feeling like I have a full stomach a lot even when I haven't eaten much. I feel like I have a weight on my chest and am scared I may die in my sleep by not getting enough air. I've had this problem when I was younger but it wasn't this bad and it's been years. I have been on doxycycline for the past 3 weeks for prostate infection. I smoke when I drink on weekends usually and have done more of that recently. Can anyone offer any advice? If I should see a physician which kind of doctor should I see? Many thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2008, 07:26 PM   #2
(male)

KoenTBoy5 HB User
Re: Can anyone help? I'm having trouble getting a full breath of air.

Hello all trouble breathers like me,

I am in the Army and I have been dealing with the same issues as all of you. From the moment I wake up till I go to sleep I feel like I am not getting enough air in my lungs. I feel the need to yawn and sometimes I get a full breath but soon after I feel the need to take a deep breath again but it doesn't work. My chest will hurt, i will feel dizzy, and my fingers and other muscles will feel tingly. My fiance and I are both very worried. When I go to th emergency room when it gets really bad my vitals are always normal. I have taken a pulminary functions test, two lung x rays, and a CT scan on my chest. All of the test came back normal with no signs of anything irregular. My doctor is a Captain in the Army and is treating me for GERD(Acid Reflux), but I never get heart burn. I am taking FLOVENT(steroid inhaler), OMEPRAZOLE(Prilosec) for reflux, claritin, and suduaffed. I have only been on the reflux medication for 6 days, and the inhaler for 2 days. My doctor wants me to return next week to see if anything has helped. From what I have been reading a lot of you have done the same as me with no answer. I am thankful that my treatment is all free but i wonder if that effects their judgment. I am lost and have no idea what to do. Both my fiance and I are very worried. Does anybody know if it is anything serious? I dont eat that much anymore because when i eat even foods that dont cause GERD it makes my breathing worse sometimes. I feel afraid to eat and to even leave my room to do anything. I feel helpless and afraid of what is wrong with me. I feel useless at work because there is not much I can do. God please help me and the others on this board and around the world dealing with this issue. If anyone has any questions for me or any advice please PLEASE PLEASE talk to me. I know what you all are going through. Thank you all and I hope you all find a cure along with me. If I don't find a cure soon I am gonna take this thing global and make at huge deal. I will be praying for all of you and take care. I will ad another board message sometime next week with details from my doctors visit. For all of you who are just developing this ailment, hold on, and God is with you. Take Care everyone.

-Matthew

The Following User Says Thank You to KoenTBoy5 For This Useful Post:
kmcn1980 (05-04-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2008, 10:44 AM   #3
(female)

Ivellise23 HB User

I know how you feel because I think I'm going through the same exact thing. Its great to know that you are trusting in God to see you through this. I wish i had advice to give you but I still have not figured out any solutions to my breathing. I to will keep you and those that are going through this in my prayers.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:28 AM   #4
(female)

yawnyyawny HB User

I have had this problem off and on for years. Constantly needing to yawn, but not always being able to complete it after struggling to. It would be so satisfying when I could yawn, but then the urge to yawn would come right back. My only other symptom was mucous in the back of my throat and sometimes a slight cough and post nasal drip.

The answer is: a condition called "LPR". Laryngopharyngeal reflux. The cure is Omeprazole 40 mg twice a day, once in the am and once in the evening (before breakfast & dinner), and gaviscon four times a day. Pepsin/stomach acid is damaging your larynx & pharynx and a nerve that provokes a yawn is being irritated/damaged. You need to go to an ENT (ear, nose & throat doctor). You probably won't have any heartburn symptoms like you have with GERD - LPR is a different disease.

The following user gives a hug of support to yawnyyawny:
Markt3287 (07-05-2011)
Old 03-15-2009, 01:03 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

My only reflux symptom was a cough and breathing problem (LPR). My asthma was actually triggered by reflux at times. I ended up going to a Pulmonologist and Gastroenterologist.

If it is reflux (LPR), it often takes twice a day dosages of the PPI's (reflux meds).

I got mine under control for several years. When it got worse again, I ended up having surgery for the reflux. Having constant breathing problems is scary.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:32 AM   #6
(female)

criderglore03 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Can anyone help? I'm having trouble getting a full breath of air.

I know exactly how you feel...I have had the same symptoms off and on for a couple of years now. Do you have anxiety or panic attacks? I have had it all my life. I was prescribed xanax about 2 years ago. I know that whenever I am feeling like I can't take a deep breath that it has A LOT to do with my nerves. If I take one of my xanax the feeling of not getting a deep breth goes away. Hope this helps!

Old 05-12-2009, 09:27 PM   #7
(male)

giovannone HB User

Thank you for hearing my story.

I truly donít know where to begin but I have keep a journal of the last few years,.
Im 23 5í10íí 185 white male
Its started in June of 2006 I had very sharp pains in my stomach the hospital didnít know what it was they called it a peptic ulcer and I was told to stay away from acid foods. For a month after the pains got less and less and finally after a month my pain went away.
Nov 2006 the pain came back a small pain my lower stomach a constant mild pain that is with me every second of the day still to this day. . My stool had become floaty and no longer solid.
Feb of 2007 I went to a doc and they said I has acid reflux took some nexiaum didnít seem to work didnít have much money could not afford doc or pill so just dealt with my acid reflux.

Feb 2008 I woke up one morning and my breathing seemed over night to completely change. I no longer can take a full breath. When I yawn I have to fight to get it out and one out of every 10 yawns are complete. When I cough it sounds like a hick up and sneeze and my stomach fills stretched out like if im blowing it out (faking pregnet) this is also all day every day since feb 2008
I notice itís the worst after I eat.
Some time when I get anxious
My breathing problems happen every SINGLE DAY EVERY SINGLE SECOND. Since feb 2008

I have got a Colonoscopy, in march 2008 and the only thing found was the doc said everything looks good take fiber pills for ibs. funny cause I know people with ibs ibs is cramps

Upper Gastrointestinal Endoscopy march 2008 doc said he say some signs of acid reflux
lungs x-rayed june 2008 everything was normal.

Gall bladder text july 2008 NORMAL

And been to the doc many time and they say your breathing is just fine.

This might sound morbid but I wish the doc would tell me I had something as serous as cancer instead of walking away saying your normal. I know im not normal and this once happy funny loving guy is falling deep into a depression.

CAN ANYONE HELP WITH THIS BREATHING PROBLEM?

Old 05-13-2009, 05:06 AM   #8
(female)

yawnyyawny HB User

My breathing problem (urge to continually yawn) was caused by LPR, laryngeal pharngeal reflux. After much research, I found information that a low carb diet greatly helps acid reflux. I decided to try it as the antacid medications were causing lots of unpleasant side effects. After starting the low carb diet, I noticed improvement right away! It's been a month and a half and I would say my urge to yawn and other LPR symptoms have resolved about 75%! I no longer take any medications. I have to adhere strictly to the low carb diet or the symptoms start to come back. The weight loss is an added bonus and I think the fact that my clothing isn't as tight helps with the reflux too.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:37 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

lavender01 HB User

I am having that problem too! Feels as though I have to yawn to get that deep breath - started doing it again 2 days ago - I went to the ER a week ago - they did tests - sent me home with an Ativan - I went to the doctor the next day - she gave me prednisone and an inhaler - I really get tired of this feeling!

Old 07-21-2009, 10:04 PM   #10
(male)

THM HB User

I'm rather late in posting in this thread, but I'd like to. (BTW, I'm posting under my husband's ID as I can't remember my password)

I'd just like to try to reassure people about this feeling of not being able to take a proper breath. Obviously the first thing to do is go to your doctor and have yourself checked out, have whatever tests are suggested and see if anything comes up. If nothing is found then you need to consider the fact that this type of breathing problem is very often a symptom of anxiety.

Has anyone read any of the books by Dr Clare Weekes? She was an expert on anxiety and gives an excellent explanation of this very problem in at least one of her books. She points out that nature isn't foolish enough to put us in charge of our breathing, it does the job itself. Normally people don't even notice their own breathing, it just happens without us thinking about it. But once we do start to notice it we start to monitor it and worry about it and then find ourselves puffing or panting or gulping for air and trying to take a deep breath and feeling we can't do it.

The real problem is the more we try to take a deep breath the less able we are to do it. If we could just relax and let nature get on with it we'd be fine, but we can't seem to do that. Our chest muscles tighten with our anxiety and so the feeling of not being able to take a deep breath gets worse. We actually begin to overbreathe by taking too many shallow breaths, which is followed by such symptoms as tingling hands and feelings of fear and panic. If only we could just tell ourselves - AND MEAN IT - that as we know we're not going to die we'll be fine. The fear will pass and we'll be ok. Tell ourselves that we'll just go on with whatever we're doing and if our breathing is shallow we'll just let it BE shallow, so what, it doesn't matter, we're going to be fine.

In other words - ACCEPTANCE. Will the breathlessness do us any harm, kill us? No, of course not! Will our lungs keep working, in spite of us trying to control them all the time and making a bad job of it? Of course they will! Remember - nature takes care to keep us breathing, it's not our responsibility. Yes, it's annoying and at times frightening to feel short of breath, but if there's nothing actually wrong with our breathing apparatus then we honestly have nothing to worry about. Please, please, try to just continue on with whatever you're doing and think 'it doesn't matter what way I'm breathing'. If you can do that and mean it you're well on your way to being cured. Your breathing will go back to normal when you stop interfering with it, stop monitoring it. This is TRUE - I guarantee it!

Just a little test: next time you feel breathless take some exercise. Run or jump about for a while, then you'll find yourself taking deep breaths as your body does it job automatically. See what I mean? Or try holding your breath, then let it out - you'll take a very deep breath after that! NATURE KNOWS BEST, MUCH BETTER THAN YOU DO.

If this helps even one person I am glad. I used to suffer with this and other problems, all caused by my anxious monitoring of various parts of my body. However, after reading De Weekes's wise words, I realised that all these automatic bodily systems are better at doing their job than I was, so now I just let them get on with it.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:50 AM   #11
(female)

yawnyyawny HB User

After years of suffering from the constant need to yawn and struggling to get a full breath of air, I FINALLY HAVE MY ANSWER! I earlier posted that I found that I had LPR (laryngopharngeal reflux - or "silent" acid reflux). Stomach acid regurges up through both the lower and upper esophageal sphincters. When it passes up through the upper sphincter, it irritates the nerve that provokes a yawn (and can also cause ear fullness and pain, facial / jaw fullness, constant mucous in back of throat, wheezing and asthma like symptoms...) You may not even have any symptoms of typical acid reflux as your esophagus has some protection from stomach acid, but once it passes through the upper sphincter, those tissues are extremely sensitive to and have no protection from the acid's damage. So after spending years trying to suppress acid production with medication and diet, I stumbled upon the REASON I was having the reflux in the first place causing my LPR and thus my yawning/breathing problems. And here was the cause...drumroll please....IBUPROFEN!! Search "painkillers link to acid reflux" and you will find multiple sources that show how ibuprofen and aspirin can cause acid reflux. I have used ibuprofen for years - so I stopped and guess what?? In one week, the mucous ball in the back of my throat went away, my ear pain and fulness started to subside and the yawning urge slowed down and finally went away. I am 100% cured after years!! < edited > I thought I would have to suffer for the rest of my life. I am now medication free and YAWN FREE!! CURED! No more ibuprofen for me.......ever!

Last edited by hb-mod; 11-04-2009 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed websites as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to yawnyyawny For This Useful Post:
sjb (11-10-2010)
Old 11-11-2009, 07:24 PM   #12
(female)

lvm6 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawnyyawny View Post
After years of suffering from the constant need to yawn and struggling to get a full breath of air, I FINALLY HAVE MY ANSWER! I earlier posted that I found that I had LPR (laryngopharngeal reflux - or "silent" acid reflux). Stomach acid regurges up through both the lower and upper esophageal sphincters. When it passes up through the upper sphincter, it irritates the nerve that provokes a yawn (and can also cause ear fullness and pain, facial / jaw fullness, constant mucous in back of throat, wheezing and asthma like symptoms...) You may not even have any symptoms of typical acid reflux as your esophagus has some protection from stomach acid, but once it passes through the upper sphincter, those tissues are extremely sensitive to and have no protection from the acid's damage. So after spending years trying to suppress acid production with medication and diet, I stumbled upon the REASON I was having the reflux in the first place causing my LPR and thus my yawning/breathing problems. And here was the cause...drumroll please....IBUPROFEN!! Search "painkillers link to acid reflux" and you will find multiple sources that show how ibuprofen and aspirin can cause acid reflux. I have used ibuprofen for years - so I stopped and guess what?? In one week, the mucous ball in the back of my throat went away, my ear pain and fulness started to subside and the yawning urge slowed down and finally went away. I am 100% cured after years!! < edited > I thought I would have to suffer for the rest of my life. I am now medication free and YAWN FREE!! CURED! No more ibuprofen for me.......ever!

its nice that you posted trying to help the rest of us, but i'm not buying it for a minute. nor am i going to put my faith in any book that supposedly "teaches" one how to breath correctly. i have not taken Nsaids for at least 10 years. i have had this problem on and off since 2003 and am at my wits end. i am not anemic and over the years have been normal weight or underweight. (obviously losing weight did not cure my problem!) i have kept logs, food journals, etc and every time i think i've found the "culprit", i am once again disappointed when the problem returns.

i did a search and found the old healthboard thread on air hunger which seemed to be very active (from 2003) and then just sort of dropped off. one of the posts there mentioned a woman going to see an allergist about a possible mold allergy. first thing that popped into my mind when i read that was aspergillosis. i am going to try that next and then i give up. i have been to every doctor, tried every medication, only to be told theres nothing wrong, i have anxiety, or i need to seek mental help. like others here i am beginning to think theres no hope and my quality of life is in the toilet. i have noticed 2 things. lying down flat on my back seems to help (which stumps the doctors) and the whole trouble breathing thing usually starts up in the spring and sort of drops off/ends at the beginning of winter. i HATE the cold, but the past several years i have come to dread the warmer months because i know i wont be able to breathe! funny thing is, about 2 years ago during one of my bad months i went to Arizona for 2 weeks and it completely disappeared. when i returned to philadelphia area, so did my breathing issue.

now suddenly, one of my kids (only 8 yrs old, is she crazy too?) has begun to complain of the same exact symptoms. that is why i am scheduling the allergist appt for next week. if i can find this thread again, i will post.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:05 AM   #13
(male)

k rock 12 HB User

I've recently had this issue for about a week now. I injured my shoulder at the gym a few weeks ago and was taking 800mg ibprofen for a week and have been on 1000mg a day of naproxen for a few weeks now..im starting to believe what yawnyyawny said is true about painkillers or anti-inflammatories causing this issue..went to doc yesterday and he put me on an inhaler, prednisone and biaxin..Im going to stop the naproxen the next couple days and see how im feeling..

Old 05-20-2010, 06:15 PM   #14
(female)

PainNoMor HB User

I have a similar problem and found advice that helped. The problem was I could not breathe deeply because I did not exhale properly. My lungs were full of old, stale, air, leaving no room for fresh air. I had to learn to exhale completely forcing the old air all the way out till I could not blow air out anymore. Then I slowly started breathing inward deeply. Initially I could not breath all the way in right away, it took a few tries until I could breathe in deeply. I had to do this exercise several times a day until my lungs re-trained to exhale completely and then inhale completely. Within the first day, I was able to breath deeply. It is critical that you do this exercise several times a day for two or three minutes at a time. I also have been able to yawn deeper than I used to be able to, sometimes I get a full yawn (not all the time). I am new at this exercise and I am hopeful that I will recoup completely, but so far I breathe so much better. I have been doing this for a few weeks only but my breathing has improved tremendously. It might work for you too. I hope this helps.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #15
(female)

PainNoMor HB User

I have a similar problem and found advice that helped. The problem was I could not breathe deeply because I did not exhale properly. My lungs were full of old, stale, air, leaving no room for fresh air. I had to learn to exhale completely forcing the old air all the way out till I could not blow air out anymore. Then I slowly started breathing inward deeply. Initially I could not breath all the way in right away, it took a few tries until I could breathe in deeply. I had to do this exercise several times a day until my lungs re-trained to exhale completely and then inhale completely. Within the first day, I was able to breath deeply. It is critical that you do this exercise several times a day for two or three minutes at a time. I also have been able to yawn deeper than I used to be able to, sometimes I get a full yawn (not all the time). I am new at this exercise and I am hopeful that I will recoup completely, but so far I breathe so much better. I have been doing this for a few weeks only but my breathing has improved tremendously. It might work for you too. I hope this helps.

Closed Thread