It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2008, 09:00 PM   #1
(male)

ccm192 HB User
how long will i live with very advanced emphysema

how long will i live with very advanced emphysema and a lung function of 26% and a bmi of 19

Old 06-12-2008, 06:55 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

hypatia HB Userhypatia HB User
Re: how long will i live with very advanced emphysema

Even the wisest doctor can't answer this question. Have you participated in pulmonary rehab? I know people with a lung function of 20% who exercise regularly and enjoy life; a couple even still work. I also know people who sit on their butt and complain. It's your decision. And don't get hit by a truck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2008, 05:52 PM   #3
(female)

deb416 HB User

How long would you live without it? No one knows how long anyone will live. You could die crossing the road tomorrow. Take one day at a time and enjoy each one.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:19 PM   #4
(female)

singerja1999 HB User

I understand how you are thinking. I felt the same way when I was diagnosed with COPD. I have decided that no matter whether I live to be 100 or I die tomorrow, I want to make each day the very best that it can be. I don't have tomorrow and I don't want to miss out on anything today. Just keep on taking one day at a time. You will be feeling much better that way. Jackie

Old 07-20-2008, 07:06 PM   #5
(female)

iwonder6150 HB User
Cool Re: how long will i live with very advanced emphysema

I've been wondering the same thing since I was diagnosed. Very similar numbers, plus scar tissue, calcium nodes and a 'mass of unknown origin.' I am 58, female, and had returned to school and was working on getting my RN when I just collapsed. I was in such denial. I even thought that taking one or two puffs every other day of a cigarette wouldn't hurt--Hah! After six months on Prednisone I couldn't handle any more---the w/d from the Prednisone was one of the worst things I've ever been through. THAT turned me off of even thinking about a cigarette.

All the other posters are right--none of us know when we're going. I do know, however, that I've simplified my life dramatically and gotten my affairs in order. When my mother passed away 15 years ago at 66, we didn't expect it. She didn't even have a will. I promised my sons I wouldn't do that to them, so this time has given me the opportunity to really focus on what is important to me and do it. I think it's important to be able to say to yourself at any point during any day, "If I were to go right now, is there anything I wish I would have done?" and do it. If you don't do it, it wasn't that important or it wasn't the right time.....Yes. Live in the moment and make each one as pleasant as possible.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:46 PM   #6
(male)

liveto100 HB User

I was diagnosed with COPD consisting of emphysema and asthma about three years ago. The doc said I would deteriorate and not be able to walk down the street in a few years. That was ten years after a different doctor told me I had the lungs of an 89 year old (I was 52 then) and would have to go on oxygen soon.

I decided to fight rather than throw in the towel. I quit smoking ten years ago. Started getting serious help for my lung disease three years ago. Read all I could on the Web to better understand the disease, it's progression and it's treatment.

I also took up hiking in the forest and then climbing up eastern mountains (which I thought would be impossible at first). On each hike in the mountains, on each step up the trail, I savor every breath and become intoxicated with the beauty of the moment. Maybe it's my last breath or maybe it's the first breath of the rest of my life. I thank God for every ray of warm sun that strikes me, for every leaf that waves to me in the summer breeze, and even for the bite of winter wind that carries the freshest air on earth to my grateful lungs.

When I reach the top of the mountain I know I've won the battle one more time and that gives me a great amount of both physical and mental energy to continue the fight.

Keep the right frame of mind, live for the moment, and try to exercise like walking or hiking in the great outdoors. Maybe you'll beat all the odds.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:53 PM   #7
(female)

grannymac HB User

Hey, all!

We are all on 'barrowed time' - we're all terminal - just some sooner than others - as it is said "...it is appointed once to die...". Or in more modern quotes "there are only two sure things - death and taxes."

I'm not trying to belittle the dying process at all, just to let you know from what I said above. Personally, I believe in God, and know where I'm gonna go when I die, but because we're not suppose to proselytize, I presume, etc., I had to add both of those comments above.

And...as everyone has said - take one day at a time...that's the only way to take it...

A quote I just found:

Please, "Don't Worry About Tomorrow. No, you don't know what tomorrow brings, you may not even know if you will be here on earth tomorrow; but do know that tomorrow is taken care of. You may not be in the place where you want to be, but in this journey that we are on (life), you will always get where you need to be."

God bless!

Grannymac

Closed Thread