It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2008, 11:09 PM   #1
(female)

Alyssa139 HB User
Lung issue..Don't know what it means

After getting an X-ray done of my lungs, my doctor told me that I had a fairly large air bubble in my left lung and showed it out to me on the X-ray. He told me that it just meant that I had a really big burp. I always thought that burps came from your stomach. Is he correct that it is just a big burp, or something else? And how else could I get rid of it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2008, 05:58 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Momof2sons HB User
Re: Lung issue..Don't know what it means

Alyssa,

What kind of Doctor gave you that information? Burps DO come from the stomach, not the lungs, so not sure exactly what he/she was thinking or seeing.

One way for you to find out EXACTLY what was seen on YOUR x-ray is to get a copy of the radiology report for that x-ray. That way you will have the radiologists impression of what was seen on your x-ray.

The fact he said it was an "air bubble IN" your lung would NOT be a burp. I have what they call Large "Bullae" which are blisters of sort filled with air in and scattered on my lungs. Some of them can also be filled with blood. They can potentionaly be serious if one should rupture, it could cause my lungs to collaps. There are also a smaller version called "Blebs".

I'm not sure if your Doctor was trying to be funny, or its not actually IN your lung, OR he has NO CLUE what he/she is talking about, and rather than admit he/she didnt know what it met, they made something up... hard to say, BUT in MY opinion, this is something that is important for you to KNOW exactly what was seen. Your obviously not going to get that from the Doctor you had seen given the answer he gave you. I get EVERY report to ANY testing I have, and trust me, I learn ALOT of information by doing so! MANY, MANY, times there has been things that the Doctor reading the report to me, MISSES important information that is on that report!

You have every right to get a copy of the actual radiologist report, That is where you will have the exact answers. You can call your Doctors office and request a copy of it, then go pick it up. Alyssa, the ONLY way you can be a good advocate for yourself is to have accurate information on your condition. Gone are the days when ALL Doctors do the right thing, and it's WE patients that have to "Cover our butts" sort a speek. I'm not saying that you do have bullae, or blebs in your lungs, BUT there is a HUGE difference between a big BURP and a big BULLAE on how it could potentionaly effect YOUR health. Getting a copy of that report, will get the answers you need.

I wish you the best, and please let us know how you make out, and what you find on the report if that's what you choose to do.
Take care, and God bless.
Annette

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2008, 11:21 AM   #3
(female)

Alyssa139 HB User

Annette,

Thanks for your reply. I went and got the X-ray report today from my doctor. All it says is "heart and lungs are normal. Patient has a very large gastric bubble present. Ribs are normal."

It doesn't say where the bubble is, but I remember the doctor showing me the x-ray and pointing out where it was in my lung because you could tell where it was easily.

But even after looking up about gastric bubbles in your stomach, nothing said anything about it just being a burp. I'm not really sure still what to do about it.

Alyssa

Old 07-04-2008, 05:40 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Momof2sons HB User

Alyssa,

I looked that up also, it seems to be related to possible peptic ulcer disease among other things which is obviously digestive related, NOT LUNG.
You could go see a GI doctor for a second opinion and have it evaluated to be on the safe side.
This is a good example for the importants of getting copies of OUR records so YOU have ACCURATE information. You would'nt have known this was a "gut" issue verces a "lung" issue. There is no way we can be the best advocates for ourselves if we don't have the correct information. So, it's in our best intrest to have these copies.
Perhaps someone on the digestive disorders board of this site has a similar issue and can advise you better? Might not hurt to post there and see.

I wish you the best,
Take care, and God bless.
Annette

Closed Thread