It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2008, 06:15 PM   #1
(female)

hailey321 HB User
Lung function-does it get better?Macrobid?

I blew into one of those hand held machines today and was told my lung function was low.

I've been order lung function tests and I've had an Xray.

They think a recent course of Macrobid damaged my lungs possibly. I smoked years ago but no longer as well.

I don't feel out of breath what so ever but my chest hurts inside.

Has anyone had Macrobid cause them problems? Also, does lung function improve.
Thanks!

Old 06-22-2009, 05:39 AM   #2
(female)

Ipersevere HB User
Exclamation Re: Lung function-does it get better?Macrobid?

I too have had lung damage from Marcrobid. I have developed interstitial lung disease from long-term use of Macrobid. My doctor had me on it for over 3 years to prevent UTI's. My ct scans showed I had BOOP (an interstitial lung disease). They continued giving me Macrobid and not until I saw a pulmonologist at a different hospital did I find out the horrible effects Macrobid has on the lungs. He told me to quit taking it immediately.

I do know that when I switched doctors in March I got better after several weeks and thought it was due to the prednisone steroids, then after the doctor started me back on Macrobid, within a week I was in the ER but never linked it to the Macrobid, we just thought the disease was getting worse.

I've heard that the longer you were on it the longer it takes to recover, so dependent on how long you took it, you should be able to recover from it. Mine has caused permanent lung damage, scarring of my lungs, and I only have 50% lung capacity and am on oxygen 100% of the time.

God bless you,
Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailey321 View Post
I blew into one of those hand held machines today and was told my lung function was low.

I've been order lung function tests and I've had an Xray.

They think a recent course of Macrobid damaged my lungs possibly. I smoked years ago but no longer as well.

I don't feel out of breath what so ever but my chest hurts inside.

Has anyone had Macrobid cause them problems? Also, does lung function improve.
Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2009, 07:37 AM   #3
(female)

hailey321 HB User
Re: Lung function-does it get better?Macrobid?

Thanks for the response. I'm so sorry that this happened to you!

I've only taken Macrobid twice. Each time for a week, years apart. When I test my lungs with the little puffer it's normal now.

I will NEVER take that stuff again, ever.

Closed Thread