It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2008, 12:39 PM   #1
(female)

shawleigh17 HB User
Trouble breathing/swallowing, pain in sternum, very difficult to exercise

Hello, these seem to be the symptoms I'm experiencing. Every time I go to the doctor, they just tell me it is asthma, and prescribe something for that, but the inhaler NEVER works. I have a terribly hard time trying to swallow (Not food, just in general) and breathe. My sternum hurts really bad if I am doing anything physical, and is tender/sensitive to touch in general. I haven't been able to work out at all because even if I try, my heart starts racing, there is a very sharp pain in my sternum/chest, and I can't breathe. It feels as though my throat starts to constrict and I start swallowing a lot more often, like I can't stop because I am trying to get air. I yawn really often because it feels like this is the only way I can ever get a good breath. It's been occurring over the last year or two, but has gotten very bad in the last few months. I am not overweight at all, and used to be an athlete in high school (swim/work out 3+ hours per day), but now I can hardly do anything because I am worried my heart is going to explode. I've been to a couple of different doctors, but they always seem to diagnose me for some other problem I've had. Also, I have a tendency to worry (perhaps anxiety disorder), but I haven't really been worried about too much lately, and it still occurs. I just want to be able to do what I used to like to do, and this is becoming a serious pain in the butt.

The following user gives a hug of support to shawleigh17:
raysportsnet (09-29-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2008, 06:45 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Nanner HB UserNanner HB User
Re: Trouble breathing/swallowing, pain in sternum, very difficult to exercise

You mention going to several doctors, but don't mention any testing that has been done. Has anyone done a simple chest xray in the last few months? It could show if there is anything going on in your lungs. If it is clear, then perhaps it is indeed anxiety. First steps first, if you haven't had a chest xray, it's time to demand one.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
(male)

zER05 HB User

Hi did you ever find out what the cause was? Had very similar issues recently but not quite as bad... did have a chest scan like 7 months ago for an unrelated issue but came out fine. Also was told they thought it was mild asthma but the inhaler didnt do anything. Am very active as well and cant figure out what is the cause...

Old 05-02-2009, 04:23 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Nanner HB UserNanner HB User

Agree that the first step is to demand a chest xray. The trouble swallowing and pain in the sternum, along with the shortness of breath, sounds a lot like me two years ago. I have sarcoidosis, and the first step toward diagnosis was a chest xray.

I sure hope neither of you with symptoms have this stupid disease, but even if you do it is usually pretty manageable.

You didn't mention exhaustion or loss of stamina, but that was part of the symptoms to get me to the doctor as well.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:40 AM   #5
(male)

johnjo1414 HB User

I have same problems, Dr diagnosed Restricted Airways Disease,
Xrays showed i have distortion of ribcage due to Ankylosing Spondylitis causing the lower Lungs to be supressed, this in turn causes the chestiness like Asthma, will not respond to Inhalers, i have had this problem now for several years where i have to keep clearing my throat, its very embarrassing.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:20 PM   #6
(female)

kdm01 HB User

I am so glad to find this site. I have been suffering from progressing symptoms persistant cough, pain in sternum, fever, night sweats, sores on body (they have left scars), chest pain SOB. After the birth of my daughter 2 1/2 years ago I began having trouble swallowing food, liquid, even medication. I have been diagnosed with Lupus and Fribromyalgia for 12 years, and alot of the symptoms can be Lupus related, so I was ignored plus we just moved across country and I was uable to get my Plaquinil prescribed. The doctors wanted to start their own diagnosis process. Needless to say I have not been treated for the Lupus for 3 years. I learned a couple of months ago I am pregnant and all the symptoms went into hyperdrive. I cough constantly with no cold symptoms I can't walk quickly without coughing up a lung. Out of sheer desperation my mom went on Web MD and put in persistant cough with SOB. Sarcoidosis came up and theres were all my symptoms in black and white. Unfortunatly I can't be tested due to pregnancy. I am 20 weeks and counting down till delivery so I can get some answers. The pulmonologist put me on breathing treatments, but I still cough just as much. I am 99.9% sure it's sarcoidosis. I just want a answer at this point.

Anyone have symptoms get worse during pregnancy? Any non medication ideas to help symptoms would be appreciated.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
(male)

tx9271 HB User

I've been having the same problems and more. I think it's because im so out of shape and am going to start running again soon. If anyone knows anything or has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated since sometimes my breathing can be extremely debilitating at times and would like to be better as soon as possible.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:37 PM   #8
(male)

soccerchickk2 HB User

I have pretty much the exact same symptoms as you...everything that you mentioned is happening to me as well. Did you ever find out what was wrong?? I've been struggling with this for over five months, and like you I used to be very active but now I can barely do anything. It would help me out a lot if you found out what was wrong, as maybe i'm having the same problem.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:38 PM   #9
(male)

soccerchickk2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawleigh17 View Post
Hello, these seem to be the symptoms I'm experiencing. Every time I go to the doctor, they just tell me it is asthma, and prescribe something for that, but the inhaler NEVER works. I have a terribly hard time trying to swallow (Not food, just in general) and breathe. My sternum hurts really bad if I am doing anything physical, and is tender/sensitive to touch in general. I haven't been able to work out at all because even if I try, my heart starts racing, there is a very sharp pain in my sternum/chest, and I can't breathe. It feels as though my throat starts to constrict and I start swallowing a lot more often, like I can't stop because I am trying to get air. I yawn really often because it feels like this is the only way I can ever get a good breath. It's been occurring over the last year or two, but has gotten very bad in the last few months. I am not overweight at all, and used to be an athlete in high school (swim/work out 3+ hours per day), but now I can hardly do anything because I am worried my heart is going to explode. I've been to a couple of different doctors, but they always seem to diagnose me for some other problem I've had. Also, I have a tendency to worry (perhaps anxiety disorder), but I haven't really been worried about too much lately, and it still occurs. I just want to be able to do what I used to like to do, and this is becoming a serious pain in the butt.
hey-
I have pretty much the exact same symptoms as you...everything that you mentioned is happening to me as well. Did you ever find out what was wrong?? I've been struggling with this for over five months, and like you I used to be very active but now I can barely do anything. It would help me out a lot if you found out what was wrong, as maybe i'm having the same problem.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:48 AM   #10
(female)

shawleigh17 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerchickk2 View Post
hey-
I went and got a chest x-ray, nothing. The dr thought it could be a pulmonary embolism, so I got checked for that, and it was negative. I finally went to an allergist. Turns out that I just have really terrible allergies. My sinuses were basically constantly draining (gross, I know), and because i was having such a hard time breathing, it was basically straining my rib muscles and making them sore. I take an allergy pill basically every morning, now, and it seems to have helped. Sometimes I still have issues, but in general the problem has gotten much better. I can run and workout without too much problem, now. Hopefully it's just allergies for you, too, because that is fairly easy to fix.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #11
(male)

soccerchickk2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawleigh17 View Post
I went and got a chest x-ray, nothing. The dr thought it could be a pulmonary embolism, so I got checked for that, and it was negative. I finally went to an allergist. Turns out that I just have really terrible allergies. My sinuses were basically constantly draining (gross, I know), and because i was having such a hard time breathing, it was basically straining my rib muscles and making them sore. I take an allergy pill basically every morning, now, and it seems to have helped. Sometimes I still have issues, but in general the problem has gotten much better. I can run and workout without too much problem, now. Hopefully it's just allergies for you, too, because that is fairly easy to fix.
Thanks for letting me know! I hope it's allergies too... Did you have any allergy like symptoms while you had a hard time breathing/chest pain?

Old 09-28-2011, 04:05 AM   #12
(female)

shawleigh17 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerchickk2 View Post
Thanks for letting me know! I hope it's allergies too... Did you have any allergy like symptoms while you had a hard time breathing/chest pain?
I have always had really bad allergies, but most of the time I just had really itchy eyes. That wasn't happening when I had these issues. I'm not sure if it was just a different reaction, or if there was more of something in the air that I was allergic to, but no, I didn't have my typical symptoms.

Closed Thread