It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2008, 11:06 PM   #1
(female)

drcassinelli HB User
Can't take a deep breath

Hey.
I am having a frustrating, not life threatening, problem with breathing. I can not seem to take a fulfilling deep breath. When I try to yawn, I can only take a shallow breath. It is very irritating.
Can anyone help????
Ideas of what this could be??
Ideas of how to treat such a problem?
Personal experience?

Anything will be helpful...
Thank you!

Old 12-04-2008, 05:49 PM   #2
(female)

milaka16 HB User
Re: Can't take a deep breath

Hey drcassinelli, I know exactly how you feel. I have the same problem! I can never take a deep breath, and I always seem to be yawning in order to get any type of breath. It's very annoying, and it scares me sometimes. I started to notice it right before the summer break of 2008, after I moved back to NYC from GA(however, i'm not sure if there is an connection between the two). I went to the doctor once, and he sent me to a cardiologist. She did some test, to see if I have asthma and the results said I was fine. So her guess was that I have allergies, and she gave me some medicine, but it didn't work. She also said it may be due to stress or anxiety, and suggested that I see a psychiatrist, but I have yet to. This was around the end of June, beginning of July.

I've kept quiet about it for a while, not wanting to worry and stress my mother out(she is pregnant and is going through finical problems), but it is getting worse. Some times I feel as though my chest is being restricted, and I often have to remove my bra, it relives the discomfort only for a few moments and then it is back to normal. Also at times when it is really bad I get a sharp pain in my right shoulder whenever I inhale. It so frustrating, it brings me to tears. I'm not really sure what I should do, and its really upsetting me.

Ideas for myself, and which I am now going to sure with you. I think i'm going to join a sport, that invokes running, something like soccer, so my lungs can open up more. The cardiologist suggested that I take up swimming, to help control my breathing, and maybe even yoga if the source of my problem is stress/anxiety. I also suggest going to the doctor, I know I am. I now I should stay quiet, because if there really is something wrong with me, this might to lead to problems in the future.

Is this is allowed: I am like drcassinelli, in need of help, so I too seek advice. Some things that I figured people should know is that, i'm 15. I'm not overweight, so its not a fitness problem. My breathing doesn't bother me when I wake up in the more, and I notice it even more when I try to go to sleep. I breathe through my mouth, and when I TRY to take a deep breath. I also have mucus(or 'cold') in my throat, it comes up into my mouth, but being that its only little I tend to subconsciously swallow it. Also the other day (thanksgiving day to be exact) I was having a REALLY weird feeling in my heart, like a fluttering nervous sensation., which is really making my parents believe that it is anxiety. And if it is stress that is getting me I guess it is coming from, school, being that I strive to get good grades and be at the top of my class, and it can come from home, being that were are going through some hard times and my mother is pregnant and hard to deal with at times, and it also can come from myself I am overall a happy person, but at times I am just bored with myself, I'm tired with my look, and I really don't have not many talents besides witting. lol. Also I am a teenage girl with hormones, I believe to be a decent looking girl, I like boys....but why don't they like me? That's really all beside the point, and I hope I didn't get too off topic, but I think it would help with the help.
What about you drcassinelli?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2008, 10:12 PM   #3
(female)

drcassinelli HB User

I went to the Dr. today and she said that I have gastroesphogical reflux disorder. She put me on a proton-pump inhibitor. This stops my stomach from producing so much acid.
I didn't even consider the fact that my heartburn could be the culprit of my breathing disorders. We will see if this fixs it within 2-5 days.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:21 PM   #4
(female)

splendor6 HB User

i have same prob stared in april 08

Old 12-30-2008, 11:11 PM   #5
(female)

mimri HB User

Hi - what kinds of tests did the cardiologist do? Did you have an echocardiogram or a Holter monitor overnight? Maybe you need to see a pulmonologist?

Old 12-31-2008, 12:10 AM   #6
(female)

drcassinelli HB User

I went back to the doctor because in the last few weeks not much has changed. The doctor said that it is anxiety. He said I am stressed. He prescribed an hour exercise daily and something relaxing 3-5 times a week.
Any ideas as to what is going on????

Closed Thread