It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2009, 03:29 AM   #1
(female)

SharRog HB User
Please - Opinion CAT Scan - Lung Cancer

Would you please give me your opinion on the CAT Scan described below? I have no one else to turn to because my father adamantly refuses a biopsy. His primary doctor told me 15 months ago, that he believed with certainty he has Stage 4 Lung Cancer. Now, the doctor has changed his opinion, he believes he has a Lung Fungus because my father shows no symptoms of lung cancer. So I requested the CAT Scan to get another opinion.

CT SCAN with CONTRAST
There is a 3.79 x 3.45cm mass within the posterior segment of the right upper lobe with the mass extending below the carina by approximately 1 cm. There are at least six small metastatic lung nodules noted within the posterior segment right upper lobe. There is a small metastatic lung nodule noted in the anterior segment of the left upper lobe. The rest of the visualized lung fields are essentially clear. There is no mediastinal, hilar, or axillary adenopathy noted. Thee are atherosclerotic changes of the origin of the left subclavian artery, of the thoracic aorta, LAD coronary artery, and circumflex coronary artery.

History:
1. 2006 / Nov – 10mm (X-ray)
2. 2007 / Nov – Grew to 4cm (CAT scan with contrast)
3. Dad: 82-yr-old (quit smoking 30 years ago) (refuses biopsy and treatments-adamant about this)

Lung Fungus?? (the 4cm mass in lungs)
- Lifetime resident upstate NY
- Dad had driven from Chicago to California (50 years ago)
- Dad had visited Arizona and Nevada for one month (30 years ago)

Questions:
- From examining the CAT Scan, do you think he has Lung Cancer?
- Can a person have lung cancer starting 10mm (Nov 2006) grow to 4cm (Nov 2007) – and have no symptoms as of this date Feb 2009?
- If not, and you think it is a lung fungus, can lung fungus show up on a CAT Scan 30-50 years from possible exposure?
- If Lung Fungus, are there any life threatening issues?

Thank you for your time and I appreciate any advice/information you can give me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
(female)

gavan HB User
Re: Please - Opinion CAT Scan - Lung Cancer

I can't really advice you but let you know my experience. I have been diagnosed with a lung fungus. It is only about 2 1/2 c. but it was enough the lung doctor was concerned. He said in the cat scan it did not appear to be cancer, but he ordered a pet scan because I have had cancer in other areas. They determined it definitely is lung fungus. In the pet scan, they use sugar and it shows a lot of activity if it is a cancer cell, so I feel confident the dr was right. Mine was discovered quite by accident through another test I was doing. If you don't feel confident in what you were told, have you tried getting a second opinion. He told me these fungus are fairly common in people. I hope this makes you feel a little better.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:30 AM   #3
(female)

pegkro HB Userpegkro HB Userpegkro HB User
Wink Re: Please - Opinion CAT Scan - Lung Cancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharRog View Post
Would you please give me your opinion on the CAT Scan described below? I have no one else to turn to because my father adamantly refuses a biopsy. His primary doctor told me 15 months ago, that he believed with certainty he has Stage 4 Lung Cancer. Now, the doctor has changed his opinion, he believes he has a Lung Fungus because my father shows no symptoms of lung cancer. So I requested the CAT Scan to get another opinion.

CT SCAN with CONTRAST
There is a 3.79 x 3.45cm mass within the posterior segment of the right upper lobe with the mass extending below the carina by approximately 1 cm. There are at least six small metastatic lung nodules noted within the posterior segment right upper lobe. There is a small metastatic lung nodule noted in the anterior segment of the left upper lobe. The rest of the visualized lung fields are essentially clear. There is no mediastinal, hilar, or axillary adenopathy noted. Thee are atherosclerotic changes of the origin of the left subclavian artery, of the thoracic aorta, LAD coronary artery, and circumflex coronary artery.

History:
1. 2006 / Nov – 10mm (X-ray)
2. 2007 / Nov – Grew to 4cm (CAT scan with contrast)
3. Dad: 82-yr-old (quit smoking 30 years ago) (refuses biopsy and treatments-adamant about this)

Lung Fungus?? (the 4cm mass in lungs)
- Lifetime resident upstate NY
- Dad had driven from Chicago to California (50 years ago)
- Dad had visited Arizona and Nevada for one month (30 years ago)

Questions:
- From examining the CAT Scan, do you think he has Lung Cancer?
- Can a person have lung cancer starting 10mm (Nov 2006) grow to 4cm (Nov 2007) – and have no symptoms as of this date Feb 2009?
- If not, and you think it is a lung fungus, can lung fungus show up on a CAT Scan 30-50 years from possible exposure?
- If Lung Fungus, are there any life threatening issues?

Thank you for your time and I appreciate any advice/information you can give me.
I was told that the spot on my lung was most likely cancer, due to the fact that I was a heavy smoker, but a needle biopsy proved it to be a lung infection, myobacterium avium, MAC, for short. So, as for your father, it could indeed be just a fungal infection. I would suggest a needles biopsy, or at least, a second opinion. You have to understand that even Drs. are human and can make mistakes. Sometimes they can't see the forest, for the trees. Peggy

Closed Thread