It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2001, 12:17 AM   #1

dreamwalker28 HB User
Question what are the side effects of fiberglassinsulation

i am trying to find out all i can about any health altering afects from inhalation of fiberglass insulation.the reason for this is that i was employed by a pest control company that sent me up into an attic to put out quintox rat rodent killer bars and to spray fox urine to chase some squirrels out of an attic of an apartment.i went up in the attic to do the job.i had an acute allergic reaction to the fiberglass.they diagnosed me with bronchiospastic disease.if any of you know anything about insulation please help me or point me to a place where i could find out about this..

Old 05-02-2001, 07:24 PM   #2

Robert2 HB User
I don't think that you could have an alergic reaction to fiberglass because the glass is inert and it doesn't dissolve into your blood stream. Glass fibers can imbed themselves into the tissues in your lungs, causing irritation, inflamation and ultimately, destruction of the lung tissues and scarring. That usually happens to people who work around insulation for years. My uncle was an eletrical contractor until the fibrosis got to him. He died a long, slow, suffocating death.

In your case, I would suggest that it is the dried animal feces in the insulation. Animals carry various diseases and you don't realize that the dust in attics has allot of that in it. If you aren't wearing proper safety equipment when working in a dirty attic, you are just asking for problems.

I hope you get better and I hope you have learn to protect yourself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread