It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2001, 12:33 PM   #1

em's mom HB User
Exclamation Paralyzed hemidiaphragm

My daugther was born in September of 2000. She weighed 10 lb 9 oz and had shoulder dystocia at birth. I was only able to hold her for 1 minute before she was taken to NICU! What a disappointment! The following day, she was placed on the ventilator because she was retaining too much CO2. Emilie was in the hospital for 6 weeks. After two weeks at the hospital where I delivered, she was transferred to the Children's Hospital. She was off and on the vent for six weeks. At birth, a feeding tube was placed in her bellybutton. When she arrived at Children's, it was discovered that not only did she have phrenic nerve damage but also a blood clot in her kidney which was causing dangerously high blood pressure. She had surgery at 5 weeks to tack her diaphragm and was almost immediately able to come off of the vent. We were able to take her home a week later. She is doing wonderfully now. She is off of her blood pressure medication and the surgeon believes that her diaphragm is now working again. Fortunately, she has no problems with her arm. I'm curious about your stories and would like to know the history behind the babies. This is the first site that I have found where people experienced similar nightmares. Hope to hear soon.

Just wondering if anyone out there with a similar experience has had subsequent child delivery (ie: was subsequent birth vaginal or C-section).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread