It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2002, 09:38 AM   #1

rxfudd HB User
Post Recently quit smoking, sharp pain in left side of chest

I am a 23 year old male who had been a 1.5 pack a day smoker for about 8 years. I just quit smoking about 6 weeks ago and since then, I've been noticing a sharp pain in the left side of my chest. It only occurs when I inhale, and if I exhale, wait a second or so, and then inhale again, it is gone. Furthermore, I only experience this every once in a while. I have no trouble breathing and no obvious health problems. Any idea what this could possibly be? I have scheduled an appointment with my physician in July, but I'm hoping I might get some insight on this beforehand. Thanks very much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2002, 04:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
It sounds like a muscle-related thing...like what used to be called a "stitch" in your side. If it always goes away, doesn't cause any other problems (such as shortness of breath, clammy feeling, pain radiating down the arm that doesn't go away either), it's probably nothing to worry about.

Congratulations on quitting smoking! It's the single best thing you can do for your health.

[This message has been edited by SamQKitty (edited 06-25-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2002, 03:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User
Try to pay attention to any other changes since quitting smoking -- it could be a muscular thing but mention to your doctor any changes in the frequency of coughing or color and consistency of sputum. MOST ESPECIALLY take note of blood in your sputum.

Old 06-29-2002, 08:38 PM   #4

rxfudd HB User
Thanks for the responses SamQKitty and wrin.

wrin, I'll make sure I mention that to my doctor, but out of curiousity, what would blood in the sputum imply? I haven't experienced this at all, I'm just curious.

I've been noticing a marked decrease in coughing frequency. In fact, it's almost entirely gone. It's strange, but I haven't even been coughing up sputum as much as I thought I would. I definitely feel different in that I can breathe much better and no longer cough, but hardly any sputum.

Thanks for the encouragement on quitting smoking, SQK. I start medical school in September and figured that it would be in the poorest form to begin studying medicine with a cigarette in my mouth. Besides, not only can I not afford it, I was starting to really notice how poor my health was as a result of it. It's so nice to walk past someone who is smoking and actually be terribly annoyed by it rather than want to join in.

Thanks again for the replies!

[This message has been edited by rxfudd (edited 06-29-2002).]

Old 06-30-2002, 01:21 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User
well blood in the sputum could be any number of things, some of them good, some of them bad, some of them horrific. Some things are just a violent cough bursting a blood vessel, this reason is slightly more common among people with lung inflammation, lung cancer, tuberculosis, all kinds of things.

It's something that if it happens more than once (because once could be a violent cough) or is accompanied by any other changes in breathing or a chest pain, it should be taken to a doctor ASAP.

Closed Thread