It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2002, 12:17 AM   #1

nonexistant_girl HB User
Post Walking Pneumonia???

I've been sick for a month now. Symptoms started with a cold, basically, which was going around. Except, I was totally exhausted. Just moving around nearly whiped me out. I developed an ear infection, which has spread to both ears and caused alot of hearing loss. I also have headaches/sinus pressure. The cough alternates from a dry, hacking cough to a wet cough, and I freuquently cough up nasty yellow chunky bits.

When the cough first started, it was a hideous tickle in my upper chest, and the cough was dry and unsatisfying, and didn't seem to be from my lungs. Now, it pretty much is always in my lungs.

I've been to the doctor twice now. Both times, I was prescribed an anti-biotic, (First it was amoxicillin, and now it's Erythromyacin.) And a cough syrup, Vi-Q-Tuss, generic for Hycotuss.

Symptoms have not decreased, I'm still coughing terribly. So bad in fact, I actually subluxated a rib and had to go to a chriopracter tonite. I don't have health insurance and can't afford another office visit, and they only tell me to rest and take the meds and thats it.

I was looking up symptoms of walking pneumonia, after my mother suggested it. They seem to be quite similar to what I have, and I was wondering if thats what it could be? I know the only real treatment listed for it was anti-biotics, but it would be nice to know why I'm still so sick.

Also, I've been taking alot of meds, and my stomach is kinda actin up. I feel really hungry but when I eat I either get nauseous or feel like my stomach is cramping up. I wondered if it was from all the meds I've been on?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2002, 05:45 AM   #2

ozark HB User
You could have started out with a sinus infection that ended up in your chest...sinus infections are sometimes hard to clear up and sometimes they have to treat with antibiotics for about 3 weeks....also side effects are stomach related, nausea, pain etc....It's important you finish your antibiotics as directed or otherwise it doesnt kill the bug fully....if your still on them and still have stomach issues, ask your dr for a different med....coughs can last for 3 weeks or so....post nasal drip from sinuses can keep the cough going as well as just the irritation from the bug and that takes time to resolve....drink plenty of fluids too....If it was pneumonia your dr would have picked it up when he listened to your lungs....

Old 12-31-2002, 09:39 AM   #3

lley HB User
Guessing here...you mentioned you were exhausted a month ago when you developed the cold..could have been that you had a cold virus. If you went to a doctor who prescribed an antibiotic for your symptoms shortly after developing the cold and you took all of the medication exactly as ordered...as a result of the antibiotic, you could have wiped out protective flora and developed a bacterial sinus infection of which now has progressed from your sinus tract into your upper respiratory system. Am guessing you have a bacterial infection in your sinuses and bronchials because you said the sputum is thick & yellow. Not all yellow indicates bacteria..but if it progresses to a dark yellow or green or greenish/brown..you can count on the bug being a bacteria which is treatable with antibiotics.

If you have not been on an antibiotic in the last two weeks, spend the 25 bucks for medihelp visit and see if doc thinks an antibiotic will help. If THIS round of antibiotics does not do the trick....your sputum needs to be cultured and a prudent doctor will order the antibiotic that will wipe out the bug. He/she will also order a cxr (chest xray) and lateral waters (sinus xray) to see where the bugs are vacationing. Please spend the money on finding out why you are sick. Your health is the most important thing.

If you were ordered the erythromycin recently,like in the last 10 days, take every one of those pills because it is a perfect med for an URI...but...it causes stomach upset.. sometimes severe stomach upset..try eating first and then take the erythromycin..if you still experience stomach upset with the drug...you shouldn't take it and you'll need a different antibiotic. If you're a smoker..don't smoke. If you are not flooding your system with water, start now and really hydrate yourself...will make your sputum less thick and easier to cough up. Try lying on your left side at night and when you wake in the morning, cough all the nasty stuff up. FWIW. Good luck!

Old 12-31-2002, 01:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User
The only way to tell for sure if you have pneumonia (I hate the term walking pneumonia because aside from people with cough syncope most people with pneumonia are walking around) is to have a chest xray done like the previous poster said. They will do a sputum sample if they think it's a bacteria and will order antibiotics specific to that bacteria.

What kind of cough syrup is that? Is it a cough suppressant or an expectorant or what?

Old 12-31-2002, 07:16 PM   #5

rugratsmomma HB User
If I'm not mistaken erythromycin is a choice antibiotic for true mycoplasma pneumonia aka walking pneumonia..that class of antibiotics and the tetracyclines are the choice ones for mycoplasma aka walking pneumonia.....This really isn't the season for that though
Cassidy mommy to 5 rugrats and expecting #6
"Theres 2 things I've learned"1.Theres a God and 2 I'm not Him"

Old 12-31-2002, 07:22 PM   #6

nonexistant_girl HB User
Again, the problem is that I'm broke, have no health insurance, and already have an almost 300 dollar bill from the only clinic that will bill you around here. So to get tests and whatnot, I'd need more money, and I just don't have it. And even if the DO find out I have pneumonia like that, they'd just put me on MORE antibiotics, I think.

The last doctor I saw was a fairly arrogant young asian man, who laughed at me alot like I was just a dumb kid or something. He didn't look that much older than me. I don't know what else to do really, besides take the meds and wait it out. I imagine, if I'm not better when they run out, I'll have to go back.

Old 01-01-2003, 05:39 AM   #7

lley HB User
Definitely finish all the erythromycin..it should help. Keep drinking water too. And don't hesitate to take the narcotic cough syrup for your coughing jags. You'll feel tired for a while, but that will pass.
Good Luck and Happy New Year.

Closed Thread