It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2003, 03:26 PM   #1
Veteran

camden HB User
Post reasons for being sent for a chest x-ray?

About two weeks ago I went to my doctor for a complete checkup. He checked my ears, throat, blood pressure, heart rate, lung function, etc. He then asked if I had ever had my cholestoral checked(I'm in my late twenties)and I said no, so he decided to send me for some blood tests.

Here is where I become baffled. This morning after having my blood drawn the lab tech. said "she will be right with you for your x-rays". I thought that was what it said on the work order but dismissed it as sloppy doctor writing and figured it must say something else. I was stunned, the doctor never mentioned x-rays. I could not believe that he never discussed it with me. I didn't bother asking the lab tech because she would not know why he ordered the test.

My question is, why would the doctor send me for this x-ray? Did he hear something when he was listening to my breathing? I did smoke for 10 years(very lightly the first two years and moderately the next 8)and quit 2 months ago. I was actually quite surprised that he did not ask me if I smoked when he was listening as most doctors pick up on it from that. Is this something routine that some doctors do as part of a check-up? I am angry at him for putting me through that! The lab tech told me to sit down after she was done (so she could check them and see if she had to send me and the x-rays to the doctors office). I sat there for a few minutes and she said "you can go now". Just like that. I was stunned! I was freaking out when I left and was wanting nothing more than to have a smoke to calm me down. I didn't though, I would never buy a pack due to the craving for one smoke and I have too much pride to bum off of others.

I will be seeing the doctor in a couple of weeks to discuss the blood work and I'm pretty sure that the x-rays are ok or the office would have phoned. I will also be sure to ask him why he had the x-rays done in the first place!

I am sort of glad that I had them done, because if I gave myself cancer smoking those stupid things then I would like to know now rather than 10 years down the road when symptoms start appearing and it is too far advanced. I actually quit smoking because I was giving myself panic attacks worrying about what I was doing to my body. Now I quit and I still get to worry!

I just think that it was pretty crappy of the doctor not to warn me of this while I was in his office. Maybe he didn't want me worrying while I waited for an appointment, but now I am just totally confused.

Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to get opinions of why I had to get the x-rays in the first place and I also needed to vent.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2003, 08:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User
Well, shame on your doctor for forgetting to mention the x-rays to you, but yes, a chest x-ray is part of a check-up. Rest easy, he's simply being thorough.

Old 07-09-2003, 10:36 AM   #3
Veteran

camden HB User
Thank-you for responding. The doctors in our small town change frequently, I don't think they stay for more that 2 or 3 years. I have gone in for completes before with two or three different doctors and only every had them do a pap. I have never had another doctor check my breasts, ears, throat, heart, lungs etc. Maybe that is why a heart murmur went undetected until I was pregnant!

I always wondered why they wouldn't want to check everything, after all, it is called a complete.

Some of our doctors aren't too swift around here. One policy that drives me crazy is the fact that after you have tests done, no news is suppose to be good news. Which means if they contact you it can't be good and if they don't you should assume everything went alright. If you want to know the results regardless, you can make an appointment but the office won't even tell you if the results are in, so you may end up making a trip to the doctor for nothing! This policy caused my gestational diabetes to go undetected when no news meant that the test results never came back and no one noticed!

Thanks again for the response. Now maybe I can relax a little. I figured the results were alright because they never phoned me. I just wanted to make sure he didn't send me for them in the first place because something was wrong. He probably didn't tell me about the x-rays because he figured that all the other doctors had done the same thing the previous times I had a complete. I guess it is probably the fault of all the other doctors over the past 10 years that have never sent me to have any tests done!

Closed Thread