It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2003, 06:02 AM   #1
(female)

shirley0922 HB User
Question coughing during the night

I was wondering if anyone has this problem and what it could be. During the night I wake up coughing. I have sinus problems and have drainage go down the back of my throat, but it doesn't feel like that. It feels more like a tickle and only happens after I have been asleep for a while. I get a drink and have tried cough drops, but the coughing lasts about 30 minutes. I don't cough during the day. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Shirley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2003, 04:22 PM   #2

NMc HB User
Hi Shirley:
Are you on any medications, like an ACE inhibitor? This has been known to provoke dry coughs, which in some people (like me) only occurs at night. Another cause might be due to lack of moisture in the air, especially if you are using an air conditioner (or heater in the winter). A humidifier would correct this problem. Third possiblity might be that you need to change the filter in the air conditioning unit. Irritants could exascerbate your sinus problems.
Nancy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2003, 05:47 PM   #3
(female)

shirley0922 HB User
Hi Nancy,
The only medication I am on is Imitrex for migraines. I forgot to say I am a non smoker. We have had the air conditioner running with the 100 plus weather we have been having so I will try a humidifyer. Thanks for your help.
Shirley

Old 01-14-2005, 05:23 PM   #4
(male)

rajeshk4u HB User
Re: coughing during the night

I too have been getting up recently in the middle of the night with violent coughs. The only thing that has helped is a quater glass of very hot milk. It sothes my throat and opens up my nose. And I get a sense of well being.

After that I go to bed. The only problem is that I wake up again after 2 hours again with coughs. (jump time I have to jump out of bed because I can't breath).

BTW I also have sisus problems (always blocked).

Old 01-24-2005, 03:35 AM   #5
Inactive

off kilter HB User

Nighttime coughing attacks can be a sign of Asthma, I can be fine all day then because of heating,or bedroom dust etc. My asthma will kick in and I wake coughing . The nighttime coughing was my first sign of Asthma at age 36. I use an inhaler before I go to bed,especially in the winter and it helped 100%.

Old 01-30-2005, 06:19 AM   #6
(male)

justme100 HB User

I just recently got over Asthmatic Bronchitis. I've had bronchitis a number of times, but this new doctor said I had Asthmatic Bronchitis.

The doctor said that the Asthma would only occur during the Bronchitis, and not otherwise. With bronchitis, I get a productive cough, with phlegm, but this cough was dry as could be (even though I was wheezing and there was congestion deep in my chest and lungs).

Maybe it is asthma; asthma has a lot of different causes. I would see a doctor; nothing is worse than coughing and coughing when you NEED sleep.

Also, I've been told that if you've had sinusitis, this can lead to asthma/bronchitis, etc. Infections in the sinuses can travel down to the lungs and cause grief.

Seeing a doctor is a good investment. I've been getting bronchitis (now asthmatic bronchitis) pretty regularly, but I've been one of those jerks trying to tough it out. Bronchial problems have a way of becoming more severe and chronic than I'd like, so I'm not going to tough it out anymore.

Closed Thread