It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2003, 05:26 AM   #1

JeanE716 HB User
Question COPD, CAD, Sleep Apnea and hypothyroidism

I just was wondering if anyone else here has this combination. I've been through lots of testing and have all of these. My doctors tell me that they are all related in that the thyroid problem can be the cause of each but even without that, many people have the other 3 in combination although they are unsure what the direct connection is. I am going today to start getting help for the sleep disorders. I know that I have apnea and hypopnea episodes at the approximate rate of 10/hour. However, the tests show that my time in each sleep stage is way out of proportion also and I only have about 5 minutes of REM in a 5 1/2 hour period of sleep.

They are trying to find the right meds for the COPD. I can not use Advair because it chokes me and Serevent caused a 6 hour long attack which I should have gone to the hospital for but waited it out instead. This happened on the 3rd day. So I am using albuteral on a regular basis of every 4 hours for now. The sleep study was done before beginning the meds for COPD and I have not noticed my sleep getting any better after. I also am on QVar and now They have me trying Singular with it.

My CAD appears to be under control for the time being and the thyroid problem is not being treated. I am asking my new GP to do a new set of bloodwork to see where I stand on everything.

After being treated by the milk the insurance company and the hell with the patient group for a year, I changed everyone at once and love these new guys. They have NO connection to the other group except for the letters they wrote telling them how wrong they were and how much worse they made things by choosing to ignore tests that should have been done, results of those that were and telling me that COPD was just a matter of opinion and theirs was that it was not COPD but anxiety instead. Now I have begun to get treatment but it is for everything at once. The only thing they had under control was the CAD and that is the one thing they told me was not being controled.

Bottom line of this is that if you question what your doctors are doing do not ask them for a referral to get a second opinion - get it yourself and get it from someone who does not know the other guys.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread