It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2003, 05:07 PM   #1

floridalady HB User
Question Restricted Airway Disease

Hi,

I am new here. I have a diagnosis of Myasthenia Gravis, a form of Muscular Dystropy, and it will give me muscle fatigue that also includes the lung muscles. I have intubated 3 times since I as diagnosed in 1997. Recently I have been very short of breath but it felt different than MG breathing. So I was in my immunologist office going for allergy testing when my breathing started getting worse again. She did a Pulmonary Function test and it wasn't good. She gave me a nebulizer treatment of albuterol/atrovent. Waited 50 mins and redid the PFT and it was great. Been doing alot better now. I take 10 mgs of singular at night and the nebulizer treatment 3 times a day.

Has anyone else have this? This isn't asthma or COPD for they are obstructive airway diseases. This is restricted airway diseases.

Sincerely,
Loretta

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2003, 06:20 AM   #2

floridalady HB User
thank you for the post. I think it would fall under 6b with the neurological diseases. They have never heard wheezing as far as asthma. I had a test done in 1999 by a pulmonologist that I found recently. It said mild restrictive airway disease. I have to look further into this.

Thank you for the info and I have it stored in my file cabinet. I appreciate this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2003, 05:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User
If the nebulizer with albuterol helped, it is a reversible airway obstruction that you're being treated for now.

the MG will contribute a restrictive component to this disease as well.

This isn't an uncommon thing for people to have to deal with -- some lung pathologies, like emphysema, have in their very nature, the potential for obstruction AND a restrictive defect.

Old 09-29-2003, 08:18 PM   #4

floridalady HB User
Thank you Wrin. They told me specifically that i don't have an obstructive airway which would be COPD or asthma. There is no wheezing.

I have been awakened three mornings in a row with breathing problems again. I was to report to the immunologist/allergist today with all the meds I am taking now. So I told them that I am having problems again. The nurse called me back and asked me to get into the office for some new med. I am now on Adavair Discus two times a day so I will take it 8am and 5pm. No nebulizer. I take the Singlair only at bedtime to keep the airway open. I took my 5pm of adavair and feel alot better.

My MDA neuro dr. approved lowering my mestinon for it has caused me some gastro problems.

That is it for now. I really hope we get this under control. Need to make pulmonary appt too.

Thank you very much. I have enjoyed everyone's post and such a fine group and informed.

Old 09-30-2003, 05:43 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User
As MG gets worse it has the ability to make coughing more difficult (as I'm sure you've found out) which can present with some airway obstruction. The irritation from retained secretions can even precipitate some bronchoconstriction and some inflammation.

The asthma drugs you're being given should help.

Old 09-30-2003, 11:06 PM   #6

floridalady HB User
As if you can't figure it out, I need another problem right?!! I keep a good positive attitude and keep moving forward with my MG. I am lucky that all I have is MG as far as other autoimmune disease.

Yes there is secretions seemingly also from my sinuses that I can feel going down the back of my throat. I am at a loss here in some way. I wondered if there could have been some damage done to the airway in the 3 intubations that I have had. I was also diagnosed with this in 1999 but no one did anything about it.

I remember an chest xray that I had done and they could see scarring in the left lung and then something about hazing. It was recommended that I have two specific chest xray views and as far as I know they were never done.

At this point, I am able to get phlegm from the lungs or wherever it is and out. My lung muscles are pretty strong at this point.

I appreciate seriously any input possible by people. I may seem resistant but I am open.

Old 10-03-2003, 05:34 AM   #7

JeanE716 HB User
Floridalady
I have COPD and it IS restrictive lung disease. Both restrictive and constrictive are COPD so just because you have restrictive do not feel that it could not be COPD. I am in second stage COPD and have a very difficult time in controling the problem. I have my PFT right here and have many not so good numbers with the lung volume and my diffusion rate seriously comprimised from restrictive problems. One of the things that I experienced with the PFT is that each successive attempt to force air out was worse than the one before. Did you have a full PFT or a smaller spirography? If it was the smaller one you would know because the full PFT takes a lot longer and uses a lot larger machine. It also gives you a ton more information than the spirography that they normally do in the drs. offices. If you did not have the full PFT, perhaps it would make sense to ask your doctor about having it done.

Old 10-05-2003, 09:52 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User
It probably wouldn't have been the intubations, unless it is a laryngeal thing or a tracheal thing, which will show very obviously on a PFT, and is also non-reversible with bronchodilators.

Old 10-05-2003, 10:08 PM   #9

floridalady HB User
Wrin

You are such a dear. No it isn't from the intubations that yes would involve the trachea. Dr. determined that based on PFT and results of meds too.

Again, we just wondered now how much my problems breathing has been MG breathing or restrictive/obstructive airway disease.

I so far am doing well on the advair discus, singular and albuterol mixture with Ipro.

They want me to do lung exercises to help increase the volume and to strengthen the diaphragm that I had an incisonal hernia in.

I have alot of work to do but I am up to it.

Thank you more than you ever know.

Closed Thread