It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2002, 09:01 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

delrae4753 HB User
Post Asbestosis

My husband has asbestosis contacted on a navy ship 40 years ago he is in the middle to later stages of the disease I have read many different details on the disease However there is one grave area i have yet to find and theat is the end stages of the disease what to look for and what to expect the Dr's at the va medical center never tell us anything I think its the fact they don;t know wither is therre anyone that might have the information I seek or a site where i can find this it is a devestationg disease and there is no cure the end result is death,

Old 01-09-2003, 12:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

suej1946 HB User
My boyfriend also has this as a result of being in the Navy and exposure. He recently was in a car accident and when they took the chest x ray it was so dark they had to redo it. they told him he has severe lung desease. he already knew that. Of course he smokes and wont stop. there is no cure for this and its very sad that while serving their country this is the thanks that they get. I dont think military doctors are very helpful as they cant admit to this happening. This is a really good site so maybe someone will help you. Our dr told me he will be useing oxygen and that they become nasty to live with as they dont get enough oxygen to their brain they become mean. My boyfried never had a pleasant personality but my dr said the burden of taking care of him will be on me. He wont listen and stop smoking. I hope you find the help that you need. Just go on the internet and put the word asbestos in there and it will bring up a lot of different things.
Good luck and God bless them all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2003, 08:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

delrae4753 HB User
Amen!! to that I understand just what you are saying my husband to will not quit smoking he smokes 4 packs a day. he is suppose top be on oxygen and a machinne for the sleep apnea which he wont use either He does however get a pension from the va he is labeled as being total and permanent disablity thats wheat the navy did to him and they are paying dearly however he wont help himself he hads deteriorated a lot this last year and tells me he wont be here at christmas time and yes it is very hard on the family memeber to have to go thru this , does your boyfriend get the abdominal spasms too.

[This message has been edited by delrae4753 (edited 02-05-2003).]

Old 04-11-2003, 06:36 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

suej1946 HB User
No he doesnt get spasms. I feel really sorry for him. He wakes up all sweaty and coughing his head off. He is so nasty and mean all the time. he hates everyone and has something nasty to say about everyone. he wont go anywhere either doesnt want to socialize with anyone. My dr said it will get worse as they get very nasty because they dont get enough oxygen to the brain. He said I will end up taking care of him. His meaness is starting to get to me. even the maintenance people at our apts said they feel sorry for me as Im not like that. They are so stupid with the cigarettes arent they. they wont listen. makes me mad when he smokes heavy as I have to breath that air also. Im just hopeing that these young guys today are not being exposed to anything as harmful as our guys were.
good luck to you . I think we are the ones really suffering from this. Hope I dont sound too cold.

Old 04-12-2003, 04:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

delrae4753 HB User
Well when my husband started to get nasty I got the dr to give him anexity meds he is on paxil 30 mg a day and xanax15 mg 3x a day. that has really helped also he has started to get nose bleeds at least 2-3 a week but this last week he was diagnosed with tremors which i know is in the latter stages of the disease they are going to do a mri of the brain on him as soon as the va gets it ordered we go on a cruise in 2 weeks I think this will be his last vacation as he is beginning the deteriation stages.keep in touch with me.

[This message has been edited by delrae4753 (edited 04-12-2003).]

Old 04-16-2003, 08:49 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

suej1946 HB User
Delrae I posted an answer to you yesterday and now I dont know where it went. Anyway, my boyfriend is still very nasty. I dont know how much longer I can take this. now its everything I spray. hairspray, bathroom spray, candles. of course the smoke doesnt bother him. I can just strangle him at times.
Im glad to hear you are going on a cruise and hope that it helps you both. We go to Maine in June (he is from there ) for a week. I told him if he is going to
be miserable the whole time then i dont want to go.
anyway hope you husband is doing ok. The vacation might do him good. Take care and enjoy yourself.

Old 04-16-2003, 05:56 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

delrae4753 HB User
sue , thanks so much my husband sleeps probably 16-18 hrs a day so yes this will do him good the best i figure he might have 1-2 more years his health is deteriorating and we must take the time we have and enjoy it while we can there will be a time we cant you see he can't travel on a bus, plane etc because he says if he cant smoke there he wont go so the only way to get a vacation is a cruise but its well worth it to me to get out. does your husband go to the va hospital for his treatment there are social workers there you can talk to who may be able to give you some help with the nastness that is what they are there fo you can call and make an appointment to see the without him, perhaps he needs to see a psycharitist or counselor he sounds like he has a lot of anger over this disease its is not a good diease its horrid to those who have it we lost a ddear friend to it about a year ago and he too was very nasty. try and see if there is a social worker that can help you manage him.

Old 04-17-2003, 07:20 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

suej1946 HB User
delrae, he doesnt go for any kind of treatment. only reason he went to the dr is he got into a car accident in dec. (guy hit him). the air bag opened and hit his chest. he was getting pain so I took him to the hospital. befor that he had bronchitis and they did a chest exray and he told me the dr told him he had mild emphexema (however you spell it). he lied. then when they did the exray it was real dark and they told him he had severe lung disease. I cant get him to to to the dr let alone anyone else. I have to live with the fact that he is mean. I think he is just miserable about life in general. he is going to be 55 in June. Dr gave me something for anxiety now I just try to ignore him when he gets that way. again, I think this cruise will do you a world of good. if he is miserable on the ship throw him off. Only kidding.

Old 04-19-2003, 08:01 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

delrae4753 HB User
Thumbs up

No he looks foward to going on his cruises we take 2 a year one in april and on in jan does his wonders for the week actually see him enjoying life when he in on the pool deck looking at the t backs lol anyway we leave next sunday be back the 4th of may .

Old 04-19-2003, 09:06 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

delrae4753 HB User
Sue is he getting a military disability pension if he contacted the asbestosis from being exposed on the ship in the navy he is entitle to a disability check my husband gets his it started in dec a year ago if he hasnt filed a claim he need to gets a good sum of money on a monthly basis abd if he is 100 percent totaal and permanaent if anything hasspens to him and he were to be deceased you are entitles to 1/2 of that pension and you are entitle of champ va insurance.

Old 04-24-2003, 05:43 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

suej1946 HB User
Delrae, he is still working. He only gets his military retirement right now. He isnt totally disabled yet. I hope you have a nice time on your cruise. I tell my boyfriend about your husband I guess trying to make him aware of what he is in for but he doesnt listen. You know what I feel like doing with those damn cigarettes too. Well I will talk to you when you get back. take care.

Old 04-24-2003, 07:04 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

delrae4753 HB User
thank you it dont matter if he is disabled or not if he got the asbestosis in the navey they are responsible for the care of the veeran and they will gove him a check every month he is entitle to this working or not you don't have to be retired to get this compensation, he contacted a disease that will one day take his live please encourage him to go and file for this compensation at the local vet hospital or veteran affairs office .

Old 04-29-2003, 07:47 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

suej1946 HB User
Delrae I told him what you said and all I got was a grunt. Anyway I hope that you had a wonderful time and that the weater was great. Talk to you when you return. How is your husband doing.

Old 05-06-2003, 09:03 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

delrae4753 HB User
My husband had a wonderful time he won about 1 thou. to bring home i got sick in thurs and never got of the bed until sunday i am doing much better we did get to see grandcayman and cozumel however never got off the ship for new orleans because is was too sick.................. hopefully the next cruise prob jand will be better, glas to be home

Old 05-07-2003, 05:12 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

suej1946 HB User
Glad that you had a nice time. Sorry that you were sick. Figures you wait all year to go ...
Thats great your husband won the money. thats always nice. Take care talk to you later.

Closed Thread