It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
(female)

bek92 HB User
why do I get dizzy when I sing?

I used to never have this problem, but recently I've been feeling this way. Before it wasn't so bad. I could deal with it. I could sing and be able to get through a concert. But lately, I can't sing for more than five minutes without feeling like Im about to pass out. I want to go on to college and pursue a career in singing, but this is definitely hindering my progress. My doctor said it could be stress-related. He did blood tests and everything is fine. But I want a better answer!

Old 04-19-2009, 10:43 AM   #2
(female)

mimri HB User
Re: why do I get dizzy when I sing?

How about going to a pulmonologist and having some lung/breathing tests? Another thought is that maybe your breathing technique when you sing isn't correct. I think doctors always say "stress" when they have no idea what is causing the problem!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2009, 11:15 AM   #3
(female)

bek92 HB User

Thank you for replying! I will definitely go do that. It could also be my techinque, but I've been studying with a teacher for many years and I never had this problem. But thank you very much.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:55 PM   #4
(female)

mimri HB User

I FOUND THIS POSSIBLE REASON THAT COULD ACCOUNT FOR YOUR PROBLEM.. HOPE IT HELPS!

Why do choral singers often faint while performing?
i've seen some videos and i heard of some cases myself, of choral singers who faint while performing. any scientifical answer for this?

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
those who have answered with locked knees and improper breathing are right.
When we lock our knees, we cut down the circulation to our legs and lower body, where most of the strength of singing ought to come from. Without that sort of body balance, it's no wonder the brain does a quick shut-down-and-restart maneuver like fainting.
Locking your knees also throws your whole body out of alignment, so , even if you are thinking you are breathing properly, it's not effective enough.
Yes, adrenaline and endorphins are produced while singing ( part of what makes singing so much fun)but neither of these two sorts of natural body chemicals will cause the faints.
it helps to remind yourself to be springy at the knees, and occasionally bend or flex one or the other knee. Ideally when you are not singing, and in such an unobtrusive manner that no one else will ever notice it.
for those who stand in the back rows, no big problem.. For you front row people, just go slow and steady!
Source(s):
opera singer, voice teacher, and chorus coach
1 year ago

Closed Thread