It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2009, 07:08 AM   #1
(male)

Neutral HB User
Keep getting congested

I have a problem. It's not exactly the most common problem, however it's starting to physically affect me to the point of actually scaring me a little. Since last Christmas I have been afflicted with a weird set of problems. Their are random times where my lungs tighten slightly and the lower-part of my throat burns. Mucus starts to fill my lungs and I have to spit frequently or else my mouth feels with the odd-tasting mucus/saliva. Occasionally it feels like allergy problems, however my lungs have never hurt nor have I ever had a burning throat over allergies. It's not something I've ever experienced and sometimes it worsens to the point of scaring me. I've been an asthmatic from birth, my father a smoker, but this has never happened before. It all started a few days before last Christmas when I was exposed to a decent amount of pesticide at work. I think that is partially the cause for what's happening, however the fact that my doctor can only guess worries me. I don't have any money, I'm out of a job. Sometimes I get dizzy or I wake up with my lungs and throat burning, that strange tasting mucus filling my lungs and throat. I take breathing treatments which seem to help but they only help for so long, sometimes they don't even help at all. What bothers me is that the intensity randomly varies. A few weeks ago I felt fine for a full three days, no signs of my past problems. Their are some days where it's not that intense at all, barely noticeable if anything. Then their are days where it's worse, or days where it scares me a little. What bothers me the most about it (Aside from my doctor being unable to properly diagnose it) is that it's pattern doesn't really make sense. When it get's really intense it may disappear after a breathing treatmet, or it may stay for hours before going away for awhile. Sometimes I feel a little uncoordinated when it happens, other times I feel okay. I can't predict when or how it will affect me, and it seems like going to the doctor would merely be adding to the money I owe him. I know the only one who can properly diagnose me is a doctor, however it seems like they'll just keep shooting in the dark unless I can suggest something outside of bronchitis.

I know the title doesn't sound that serious however I'm getting seriously worried. I posted here before when I thought I had bronchitis however I worked up the finances and managed to look into it. I visited my doctor on two seperate occasions within a few months. On one occasion he listened to my symptoms and told me that he thought I had bronchitis and perscribed antibiotics which I took whenever directed. This went on for some time however my lungs, which would occasionally have random periods of feeling with ridiculous amounts of odd tasting mucous, didn't change at all. I visited him a second time and he perscribed to me a different set of antibiotics and told me that he thought my lungs might be suffering from some sort of poison. I took the antibiotics as directed and nothing happened.

I'm now at a crossroads. Before, when I had a job, I could afford to splurge and go to the doctor. However I lost my jobs a few weeks ago and I can't keep guessing like this. I can't afford another 250-375 or higher doctor's visit if it isn't going to help me. I need direction, however I don't have anyone who can properly direct me. My parents just shrug it off and say that it's allergies despite what I've told them about how bad it's gotten. I get dizzy sometimes even when I can breath properly. I don't know what to think of this and I'm starting to get scared.

For the record I'm nineteen years old, I take no illicit drugs, and I don't smoke despite being exposed to it throughout my life. If anyone on the boards can relate to the symptoms I've explained and/or suggest what it might be, I'd be truly grateful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
(female)

lu55 HB User
Re: Keep getting congested

To me, your symptoms sound a lot like chemical sensitivity issues. I have chemical sensitivity, plus other respiratory ailments and sometimes it is difficult figuring out what is what.

I treat the chemical sensitivity as I would asthma or chronic bronchitis. Use whatever medications or supplements work for you. For me it is singulair, zyrtec, flovent, combivent, and nebulizable glutathione.

This spring the mucous has been overly abundant. I think it's the pesticides in the air, along with pollen. Whenever I have a reaction, I produce much mucous in my nose and lungs. It can be very frightening. The only way I can stay on top of it is to take all of the above named meds. I hope I don't have to resort to prednisone because my body feels totally inflamed.

Even though you are young, you can get the symptoms you described from a single exposure to chemicals. There is (finally) a lot of information online about chemical sensitivity. Look and read.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:57 AM   #3
(male)

Neutral HB User

That is incredibly helpful. I know this isn't the greatest compliment, however I'm glad that I finally know someone who has the same problems I do. Thank you very, very much. I really appreciate your help, I'm certainly going to read up on it.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I am having this mucus trouble too. For a few days now I feel like I have a constant ball of mucus in my throat. My chest feels tight, I feel like I have to concentrate on my breathing and try and get a full breath. Some times my chest feels tender. I am trying to figure out it this is my acid reflux flaring up. It wouldn't suprise me. These are the same symptoms I have had before. My diet hasn't been the best. I have to keep clearing my throat. It's so annoying.

So do you just have a bad case of acid reflux?? It kind of sounds like it. Let us know how you are. Good luck!

Old 05-27-2009, 09:23 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I agree with TEdds. You might want to read up on acid reflux to see if it matches your symptoms. In particular, look in to LPR. It is a form of reflux that affects your throat and sometimes your lungs. For a long time, I thought I just had asthma acting up, but found I had bad reflux that was triggering things as well.

If it is reflux, there are OTC things you can try, as well as diet changes and some lifestyle modifications to help. Not a cure, but it could help.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:04 AM   #6
(male)

Neutral HB User

The symptoms vary from being minor to being very intense. I don't know if it's acid reflux, however I'll look into it. Lately I've been taking prednisone and it seems like it's been helping.

Closed Thread