It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2009, 08:59 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

don444 HB Userdon444 HB User
Advair, Spiriva, & Symbicort

I have been on Advair for many years and this year I tried to stop it. It did not work and I developed SOB at night. A pulmonary told me to re-start the Advair and I did but this time I became very tired and lightheaded but it did stop the PM SOB. While at a OV with my GP he suggested I try Spiriva and I did. Within a week my PM SOB really got bad and I went back on Advair. At the next OV with that GP he suggested I try Symbicort and I did.
I felt great all day but the PM SOB came back and after two weeks on Symbicort the SOB became really bad. I have now gone back to Advair thinking that I may be dependent on this med after taking it for so many years. I am concerned about the cost as I am about to lose my BCBS and the fact that Advair really zaps my energy. Overall I would rather be able to sleep without SOB so I guess Advari is the way to go. Comments appreciated, thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2009, 10:37 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Advair, Spiriva, & Symbicort

What strength of Adviar are you on?

I have done the Advair & Singulair combination for years.

I started on the Advair 100/50 and over the next couple years worked up to 250/50 and then 500/50 as my asthma got worse. I stayed at 500/50 for years because I was constantly having things trigger my asthma. Finally I started getting things under control some and this last year I've been able to go back down to 250/50. I plan to stay here at least through the winter. If all goes well, I'll talk to my doc about going down to 100/50 next spring. I do have a standing prescription for the 500/50 though in case I have a flare-up. I think by not going cold turkey and just reducing dosages it helped me adapt better.

Have you tried going to a Pulmonologist regarding your asthma. While GP's can do well, I've found that a talented Pulmonologist can be invaluable. They can help put a long-term asthma plan in place with you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2009, 07:32 AM   #3
(female)

pegkro HB Userpegkro HB Userpegkro HB User
Re: Advair, Spiriva, & Symbicort

Hi, I was on Advair, until I went on Medicare and lost myBCBS scripts plan. My pulmonologist put me on pulmacort(the generic brand) nebulizer AM and HS. I find that it works well for me. Peggy from Fl.

Closed Thread