It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2009, 08:00 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User
Will Cipro help bronchitis?

I have had a raging cough for about 4 days now and am now coughing up yellow mucus. I do not have health insurance. I do have a left over bottle of Cipro from a UTI (not expired). There are 7 pills left, so I started taking them.
Will this help me?
Any other ideas for the HORRIBLE coughing that is ruining my life???
Thanks in advance...I have never experienced this before.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Isis498 HB User
Re: Will Cipro help bronchitis?

Laura, I hope someone else comes along to discuss this.

I am on my 6th day of bronchitis. Coughing, wheezing, spitting up green junk. Sorry, TMI.

My Dr. says it's viral bronchitis, and NO antibotics needed. Everything I see on the web basically says the same thing.

But I think mine has evolved into something more, I still have 100 degree temp. I called the office and they are calling me in some kind of cough syrup. I've been using some OTC stuff, but not really helping. I don't think you are really supposed to supress it anyway, you need to cough it up. EWWW

He did give me an albuterol inhaler for the wheezing and tightness, but it didn't help a lot, and made my heart race, and felt like I was crawling out of my skin, so I stopped it.

I doubt if you will get good relief from taking just a few of the Cipro, you only have enough to start working.

How are things now?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi there,
Thanks for the reply. I took the Cipro, 500 mg, twice a day and it did help a bit, but I am STILL hurting badly.

I am coughing non-stop, coughing up the green stuff and getting no relief. I went out and bought Tussix and Delsym. The Tussix helps gets the mucus out of my lungs and the Delsym seems to help suppress my cough a bit.

I'm thinking of just sucking it up and calling my doctor tomorrow...I don't know how much more I can take. It's been 9 days. How long should I wait?

Thanks again for the reply!

Old 10-26-2009, 05:48 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Isis498 HB User

Hi LauraLu,

I'm now at day 9, finally no more elevated temps, coughing lessened, but have coughed so much I've pulled/strained a chest wall ligament or muscle, and that is very painful if I cough or sneeze. I still bring up the greenish stuff, not a lot now. Haven't had so much of the awful wheezing, tight feeling as of yesterday. So, I think I am finally "turning the corner". I have a feeling it will take a while to get back to normal, though.

I've also been taking a generic Mucinex, and a pill for cough called in by my Drs. office.

If you are still having a temp at all, you probably should see your Dr. just to make sure yours hasn't evolved into something else.

Hope you feel better soon, this stuff can really kick your butt!

Old 10-28-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Isis ~
Well, I broke down and made an appt to the doctor for tomorrow morning. I just simply cannot take this anymore. I feel like I am drowning in my lungs - pretty gross, huh? I swear I almost lost a lung today at school (I teach 3rd grade).

I'm hoping they'll be able to give me an antibiotic on the cheap to kick this thing for good. I'll keep you posted...

How are you feeling? Take Care.

Laura

Old 10-29-2009, 02:06 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Isis498 HB User

Hi Laura, I think I'm almost recovered, just some deep chest wheezing stuff, barely a cough now. But I have the sensation that I've been in a very smoky room, closed up or something. Just irritation in my lungs left over I suppose.

Hope you get to feeling better, let us know what your Dr. said.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well, it's definitely bronchitis - as if I needed a diagnosis. My doctor prescribed Azithromycin (generic for the Z pack). It's the 5 day course for upper respiratory infections. He also gave me prednisone for the swelling and Robitussin with codeine. He wanted to give me an inhaler after listening to the wheezing in my lungs, but I'm going to hold off because they're a bit expensive without health insurance (ugg).

I'm so hoping I feel better soon. I just REALLY want a restful night's sleep.

I hope you get some sleep soon - go see your doctor if you're still feeling worse by Monday. I figure $80 is worth it!

Please take care!

Closed Thread