It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2009, 12:59 AM   #1
(male)

skEwb HB User
Arrow Presistent dry cough with tachyardia

I'm not sure what's going on but I have a dry cough that has been going on for 3 months now. I've had chest x-ray and blood work all coming back negative. My doctor is being hard headed about giving me an endoscopy which is known to find things that don't show up on x-ray. What could it be?

If I try to run my heart rate goes through the roof and I get head pressure, not head ache but head pressure and then it feels like my throat is closing up and I can't get enough air and I start to wheeze. I don't have a history of asthma in my family or for myself and I've tried an inhaler and that didn't help.

My throat is constantly dry and I have a dry cough that doesn't produce phlegm and each time I cough it seems like afterward I'm not getting enough air and my heart speeds up. What could this be?

Old 12-28-2009, 08:07 AM   #2
(male)

Hoseman HB User
Re: Presistent dry cough with tachyardia

Quote:
Originally Posted by skEwb View Post
I'm not sure what's going on but I have a dry cough that has been going on for 3 months now. I've had chest x-ray and blood work all coming back negative. My doctor is being hard headed about giving me an endoscopy which is known to find things that don't show up on x-ray. What could it be?

If I try to run my heart rate goes through the roof and I get head pressure, not head ache but head pressure and then it feels like my throat is closing up and I can't get enough air and I start to wheeze. I don't have a history of asthma in my family or for myself and I've tried an inhaler and that didn't help.

My throat is constantly dry and I have a dry cough that doesn't produce phlegm and each time I cough it seems like afterward I'm not getting enough air and my heart speeds up. What could this be?
Hi

Tricky one this but you might try and get your dr to look at fungal infection specifically Aspergillus sp. If your lungs arent working correctly its obvious your heart rate will rise compensating for increased work undertaken. Keep your heart rate down and relax until you get some form of result. Stay off inhalers unless you have confirmed airways disease. Have you had saturation levels recorded AFTER exertion.

Worse case ...........bronchoscopy for a look see and washout for samples.
CT or MRI.

Mike

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2009, 10:09 PM   #3
(female)

SandieRC HB User

I am having the exact same thing. I have had it since November. I have been to cardiologist and had all kinds of tests. I can't figure it out either. I have had recurring bronchitis though and I get really bad anxiety with it. I think it is a virus, that comes with an upper respiratory infection.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:27 PM   #4
(male)

skEwb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoseman View Post
Hi

Tricky one this but you might try and get your dr to look at fungal infection specifically Aspergillus sp. If your lungs arent working correctly its obvious your heart rate will rise compensating for increased work undertaken. Keep your heart rate down and relax until you get some form of result. Stay off inhalers unless you have confirmed airways disease. Have you had saturation levels recorded AFTER exertion.

Worse case ...........bronchoscopy for a look see and washout for samples.
CT or MRI.

Mike
Hi Mike, I had a chest x-ray done and I thought myself it could be aspergillus but the x-ray shows my lungs look normal. Although I do know x-ray doesn't show everything. I have taken courses of antibiotics and this hasn't done anything. I suppose I would need anti-fungals like sporanox to get rid of it? For now I know that when I smell strong perfumes or smoke from a fire I start to choke and cough and the head pressure comes in.

An allergist thinks it's asthma I've developed and she gave me a Qvar inhaler to try out. I'm not sure if I should use it or not. My allergy test shows normal except I'm allergic to dust mites and that's it. My lung capacity is at 99% when they do the blow out lung test.

I've asked for an endoscopy to look inside but they keep saying it has risks and they have to put me to sleep and it's the last thing they'll do.. I asked for a pulminologist referral and finally got it.

My allergist said if I use the steroid inhaler I probably wont need to see the pulminologist once I'm done using it.

Last edited by skEwb; 12-28-2009 at 10:33 PM.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:31 PM   #5
(male)

skEwb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandieRC View Post
I am having the exact same thing. I have had it since November. I have been to cardiologist and had all kinds of tests. I can't figure it out either. I have had recurring bronchitis though and I get really bad anxiety with it. I think it is a virus, that comes with an upper respiratory infection.
Hi Sandy I will share with you everything I find through my course of visiting so many doctors. If I find a fix or what's causing this I'll be sure to share it with you as I know how annoying it can be. In the beginning I was flooded with anxiety because I thought somehow it was going to kill me, but after having so many recurring episodes and it not killing me obviously I started to accept it more and deal with it like a disease and not be scared of it.

I think there will be a solution, but instead of taking it straight to the reason I think I'm suffering my main doctor is hosing me around doing all these tests that don't matter or have anything to do with it wasting my time.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
(male)

skEwb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandieRC View Post
Do you happen to be sensitive to perfumes/cologne or smoke? I start to choke up and cough and my head pressure goes through the roof if I smell too much of either of those or I'm even in the vicinity.

I'm having a bronchiosopy done and I had a sinus x-ray done, waiting on the results of that.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:52 PM   #7
(female)

SandieRC HB User

I am sensitive to smoke but not around it that often. How did your tests come out? How is your heart rate? Mine is still high after all this. I am getting an MRI done next week.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:33 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Have you seen a pulmonologist?

Old 01-23-2010, 11:52 PM   #9
(male)

skEwb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Have you seen a pulmonologist?
My bronchioscopy is this monday the 25th, I hope they find something, this is getting really old, with the winter season and everyone running their chimneys it's getting pretty bad..

Closed Thread